atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: John807 Sidekick - 12/14/16 10:07 PM
It's been awhile since I used a sidekick to find an open (cut cable). Does anybody know how to do it? I remember going to an end and kicking it count the clicks. Go to the other end do the same. Then guess the cable route and with a little looking find the open. I just can't remember how to set up the side kick to do it. Thanks

Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Sidekick - 12/15/16 10:56 PM
I never used a Sidekick to find an open, so forgive the thread drift here. My instruments of choice are the Open Meter, and the Dynatel 965. In a pinch, for locating a rough estimate, you can use the brown meter. I suppose that the Sidekick is the modern equivalent of that. One "point" = 1/10th mile = 500 feet = 4 sections (poles). When I was a cable maintenance splicer, we could pinpoint an open within a few feet in a cable that was miles long. It just took practice and good math skills.

Are you in a hurry? Buried or aerial? Your location is Northern NJ? I can lend you a Dynatel. Or they seem to go for pennies on the dollar on Ebay.
Posted By: John807 Re: Sidekick - 12/16/16 12:16 AM
Thanks Arthur I got lucky. It was an aerial fortunately it was just snapped at the terminal in the first 6 pair can I opened. Fortunately no bees this time of year. I do have the brown meter, I just need to get a battery for it. The sidekick is the new version, I just never got the hang of it.
Posted By: hawk82 Re: Sidekick - 12/17/16 02:29 AM
Sidekick T&N manual:
https://warxezz.free.fr/energie-libre/7b%20and%20TN%20Training%20Manual.pdf

Gosh, I do this reflexively now that writing out directions is hard. PM if you still need help.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help