atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: newtecky ATT install? - 06/08/18 08:01 PM
Customer remolded. I told them prior to demo to contact AT&T to move the demarcation point.
Contractor move underground line to another wall. Customer asked me to re-install incoming line. I told them this should be done by AT&T, because they are responsible for the line up to their Demarc.
It was not that I didn't want to terminate that gel filled cable, but I felt that this is AT&T responsibility from the street to the building.

I come back a week later after AT&T was done to find this installed on the incoming lines from the street. This isn't normally how I find the demarcation point terminated. We don't get much lightening in California, but I usually see the protected blocks in the MPOE installed for business lines.

I also thought that the electrician may have installed this, except for the fact that the color code was correct.

[Linked Image from filedn.com]

[Linked Image from filedn.com]

Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: ATT install? - 06/08/18 08:29 PM
Wow, that's sad. Some code violations going on there.
Posted By: justbill Re: ATT install? - 06/08/18 08:52 PM
That's 3 feet if you use the right tape. At the least they could have split the block and put protection across the pins.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: ATT install? - 06/08/18 10:53 PM
Ridiculous...
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: ATT install? - 06/08/18 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by justbill
That's 3 feet if you use the right tape. At the least they could have split the block and put protection across the pins.

I believe it's 6' above the panel... Plus, you're not supposed to terminate OSP without a splice chamber, right?
Posted By: justbill Re: ATT install? - 06/08/18 11:44 PM
You're probably more up on it than I am, I thought it was 3 feet side to side not sure about above. Haven't had to deal with it for awhile. No to open splices and no to punching down icky pic. Why would you even want to? I didn't even pay attention to the panel below the equipment, until just now. So along with everything else I lost to ARP (age related problems) I've lost my ability to observe what's right in front of me.
Posted By: dexman Re: ATT install? - 06/09/18 02:19 AM
Punching down icky pic coated wires? sick

The 66 block on the left is completely covered with goo (not just the left side of it). How did the at&t technician manage to do that?

Is that box to the right of the 66 blocks an at&t ONT eh
Posted By: newtecky Re: ATT install? - 06/09/18 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by dexman
Punching down icky pic coated wires? sick

The 66 block on the left is completely covered with goo (not just the left side of it). How did the at&t technician manage to do that?

Is that box to the right of the 66 blocks an at&t ONT eh

Not a very clean job. I do hate that gel solvent, but at least I'd try to clean off the wires better then that. Also the block and bracket appeared to be old/used. Either the tech had something bouncing around the back of his truck, or the general contractor dug up the old stuff that they removed before the demo.

Seems like a rushed job to me. Also noticed that the 66 bracket is upside down. No supports on the cable, held up just by the 66 block and the bends around the electrical panel.

The only reason why I think that it might have been an AT&T tech that did this and not another contractor is because of the tag, and that the termination was wired correctly. I don' think a local sparky could have done this correctly.

The other block and box is the customer's existing Toshiba PBX that was hung back up next to the AT&T block..
Posted By: dexman Re: ATT install? - 06/09/18 03:05 AM
Ah!. I'm not familiar with Toshiba equipment. After I enlarged the first picture, I saw that the bracket was upside-down. crazy

The feed looks like it was secured at some point. In the first picture, I can see marks on the cable right where it crosses underneath the conduit. Maybe the feed was repurposed scrap cable.
Posted By: Mercenary Roadie Re: ATT install? - 06/09/18 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by nfcphoneman
Originally Posted by justbill

I believe it's 6' above the panel... Plus, you're not supposed to terminate OSP without a splice chamber, right?

That whole wall is one massive code violation.

None of the required maintenance spacing is there (6 ft from floor or platform up to any overhead obstruction, 3 ft clearance in front of all electrical equipment, and 30 in wide or width of equipment for over 30 in working space).
Missing clamps for conduit

That just covers the blatant ones.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: ATT install? - 06/09/18 05:23 PM
Here's my guess as to what happened. Contractor came in and gutted the place for remodeling. A call was placed to AT&T to move their existing terminal, but they didn't get to it with their usual delays, backlogs, strikes, etc. After remodeling was done, an order was placed with AT&T for lines and the installer arrived to find no facilities, as in the original terminal being gone. In order to finish his/her work, they punched the cable down on a block and reported it to their upper management for a permanent resolution.

In a perfect world, anyway...
Posted By: newtecky Re: ATT install? - 06/09/18 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by dexman
The feed looks like it was secured at some point. In the first picture, I can see marks on the cable right where it crosses underneath the conduit. Maybe the feed was repurposed scrap cable.

The original location of the AT&T feed was removed. In the old location it was properly terminated with the protected blocks.
This wall was was left standing during the remodel, probably because of all the electrical panels and other equipment.

Per the general contractor, they intercepted the underground feed from the street and brought it up to where it is now. On my first trip it was just a coil of black cable coming from the conduit. I had assumed that per my first conversation prior to the demo that they would coordinate with AT&T to relocate this feed properly.

Knowing how slow AT&T works, I expected them to take another month or so to get the correct department out to terminate the feed cable and to check the dial-tone. I was a bit surprised when they called our office less then a week after my previous visit saying that the feed was done.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help