atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: metelcom Live cable tester - 06/26/18 12:36 AM
I need a Cat 5 tester that will locate the port a cable in connected to. I have one that will blink the link light on the switch but with all the others flashing I can never see the one that blinking. Toning will work some times but not good enough I'm getting sick of walking back and forth between PC and switch to find the cable/port. I'm also looking to get a fiber tester that will just test good/bad light source, connections and fiber. Any suggestions are welcome
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Live cable tester - 06/26/18 12:56 AM
Since DTX is not a valid tester anymore the companies I have been working for migrated to Versiv for copper and fiber.

Would something like this work for you? Probably more expensive than a Super Bright LED flashlight and a volunteer on the other end.

Posted By: Derrick Re: Live cable tester - 06/26/18 02:13 PM
I used to use the T3 Innovations Net Prowler to chase down ports on a working active installation, I could find IP addresses, perform speed check and thruput tests, great tester, it is now distributed by Platinum Tools.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Live cable tester - 06/26/18 02:49 PM
Net Prowler

"Link light to identify location on a hub/switch/router port"

Posted By: usbuild Re: Live cable tester - 06/26/18 02:56 PM
Linkrunner will get the job done if they have managed switches and it’s properly configured, haven’t heard of anything that will work with unmanaged switches.
I agree with Professor, fastest way to map the network is another set of eyes on switch side
Posted By: Derrick Re: Live cable tester - 06/26/18 02:58 PM
Net Prowler didn't care if managed or unmanaged switch, it would blink the port. You can adjust the cadence to make it easier to spot among other blinking lights.
Posted By: Daniel Re: Live cable tester - 06/26/18 03:20 PM
It is a pain, but if you document what is live, then plug or unplug what you are working on check to see the difference. Not a good way to do it, but it is effective (just time consuming)
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Live cable tester - 06/26/18 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Daniel
It is a pain, but if you document what is live, then plug or unplug what you are working on check to see the difference. Not a good way to do it, but it is effective (just time consuming)
This method doesn't work in a Data Center...

In a Data Center we label the patch cords on both ends with a set of "from/to", example:

From rack 10, patch panel 8, port 48 to rack 15, patch panel 2 port 2. (two labels on each end)

R10-P08-45
R15-P02-02

R15-P02-02
R10-P08-45
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Live cable tester - 06/26/18 04:59 PM
I thought you were about to retire Merritt???

I rigged a 8p8c connector to tone on Pair 4. Usually can pick up the tone without issues...
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Live cable tester - 06/26/18 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by MooreTel
I thought you were about to retire Merritt???
You can retire, but you can never leave.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Live cable tester - 06/27/18 03:31 AM
Dean -

When I built GTE COs, EVERY cable had a tag on each end - what it was for, how many conductors where it was connected on this end and where it was connected on the other end.

It was the right way to do a complicated install then and it still is now,

Sam
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Live cable tester - 06/27/18 04:59 AM
I escaped that labeling part. We just ran the cable, toned it, then terminated it on the frame with stencils on the block. This was GTE of 1970's and I was in COEI.

My DSP-4300 still sends a unique tone to a cable plugged into a switch. It hates funny POE though. I'm thinking I'll retire before I buy a Versiv. The fiber tester kit for my 4300 is about $1500 and I'm fighting that, too.

Carl
Posted By: newtecky Re: Live cable tester - 07/04/18 06:13 AM
I have been tempted to try this out:

https://www.pockethernet.com/

"Let Pockethernet toggle the Link LED on switches and routers to easily find the cable you are looking for. Set the link speed to toggle a change of color for the port LED"
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Live cable tester - 07/04/18 01:57 PM
Only 199 € and 30 € shipping ($231.64 US and $34.91 US shipping... Just be glad you don't live in Canada, eh? $304.57 and $33.67 and also Customs & Duties Fees)
Posted By: metelcom Re: Live cable tester - 07/04/18 02:13 PM
newtecky I like it thumbsup https://www.pockethernet.com/
Posted By: newtecky Re: Live cable tester - 07/04/18 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Professor Shadow
Only 199 € and 30 € shipping ($231.64 US and $34.91 US shipping... Just be glad you don't live in Canada, eh? $304.57 and $33.67 and also Customs & Duties Fees)

That fact that they are only sold from Germany has been a concern with regards to warranty or returns. I came across this website a while ago and still didn't get one yet.

I don't do as much cabling now days, but some of the features I can see could help with IP Phone deployment, ie, the port blinker, DHCP detection, VLAN tagging, and POE supply detection.

Some data switches are real slow with showing a data link lights (Cisco with Spanning Tree for example) so I wonder how well this port blinking will work on some switches.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Live cable tester - 07/20/18 08:28 PM
I ordered one today after I try it a few times I'll let you know how well it works.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Live cable tester - 07/26/18 10:37 PM
It arrived already. I don't have much to test it with but it seemed to work well and gives me info on my Smartphone. The only thing I noticed was trying to Blink the switch port light I kept having to reconnect my phone and I was next to the unit if I had to travel far to find the switch I would be out of range. I'll let you know once I have a chance to use it a few times. I hope most places use CDP on the switches so the info is available.
Posted By: newtecky Re: Live cable tester - 07/27/18 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by metelcom
It arrived already. I don't have much to test it with but it seemed to work well and gives me info on my Smartphone. The only thing I noticed was trying to Blink the switch port light I kept having to reconnect my phone and I was next to the unit if I had to travel far to find the switch I would be out of range. I'll let you know once I have a chance to use it a few times. I hope most places use CDP on the switches so the info is available.
thumbsup
Posted By: gelehu Re: Live cable tester - 07/28/18 02:27 AM
I had a puzzler(for me) today. A grocery store had 2 scales in food prep rooms that were out, 1 had apparent water damage on the jack so I tried toning them out.it was a Cisco 24 port switch. I plugged the toner in like normal went to the other end, couldnt find it so I tried toning individual pairs.Each time I connected to a pair it shut my tone off Could never find the tone on any one of the 4 pairs on either cable.I called the help desk and they told me which ports they were supposed to be on. Sure enough, I plugged my cable tester and sure enough one passed and as soon as I rejacked the water damaged pair and it passed. Never ran into that before. Ive always been able to find a tone even on a live circuit.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Live cable tester - 09/12/18 03:59 PM
This thing is nice...https://www.pockethernet.com/

It's saved me many footsteps and lots of time. Just did a service desk move that had 8 data cables. I identified the port each device was plugged into, run new cables, connected the patch cables and was done in 2 3/4 hours. The store contractor said he never see anyone do it so quick and organized. It gives nice report at the end that can be saved as a pdf, emailed or uploaded.

Thank you newtecky for finding this for me. thumbsup
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Live cable tester - 09/12/18 10:59 PM
nice!!
Posted By: newtecky Re: Live cable tester - 09/13/18 07:00 AM
Cool.

I have been looking at this for a while, but wasn't sure if it worked as well as they hyped it.

2thumbs

Posted By: hawk82 Re: Live cable tester - 09/21/18 07:09 PM
I picked up one of these units. They messed up my delivery address and UPS almost didn't deliver the package. There were no instructions provided with it. TDR takes some time to learn how to read. I've found the wiring test is very flakey. It will say a miswire (all wires show "cut") but the cable tests fine in another tester. PoE and CDP works which is nice. Battery seems to hold a long charge (I haven't charged it yet and used it quite a bit).
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Live cable tester - 09/21/18 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by hawk82
There were no instructions provided with it. TDR takes some time to learn how to read.

Apparently you have the honor of reading the instructions online: manual

© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help