atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: teldata1 RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 03/30/19 05:06 PM
I struggle with terminating Coax F compression connectors I am not sure if it me or the materials I am using but it seems really hard to get the F connector on so the white part (Dielectric) is where it should be

Comcast does them so quickly it makes my head spin ...so I am not sure if I am buying the right brand of RG6 Quad cable or the right brand of compression connectors

I know that the first layer of mesh & foil has to come off and the second layer of mesh comes off it just seems awfully hard to push the connector on

just wondering if anyone has any recommendations

Thanks
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 03/30/19 06:14 PM
First you need the correct tools and have the settings correct to match the parts you are using.

I use a Klein 2-Level Radial Stripper and Klein Pass-Through Modular Crimper.

Lot's of YouTube videos. Best is to take a chunk of scrap and practice, practice, practice on your cutting. Then you can slide a connector on but do not crimp! Do it over and over until you are consistent.

Posted By: hbiss Re: RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 03/30/19 11:31 PM
There are different connectors for different cables and there are different compression tools for each connector. I would ask why are you using quad shield anyway?

That said, hopefully you are using a brand name cable so that you can go to their website and find the connector recommendation for the cable you are using and how to properly prep the cable end.

Then hopefully you are using tools from a company that knows the cable business like Cable Prep; https://www.cableprep.com/

Then go to this page: https://www.cableprep.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/cobra-brochure.pdf and find the connector you are using and cross it with a compression tool. It looks like the Cobra 360 will do them all.

See also https://www.cableprep.com/drop-cable-tools/stripping-tools/super-cpt-cable-stripping-tools/

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 03/31/19 03:28 PM
agree

If you use the wrong tools with the wrong parts it will show in your work.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 04/02/19 01:14 AM
I have been using the PPC connectors for the past several years, same as what TWC/Spectrum uses here.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 04/02/19 02:23 AM
I bought an insane quantity of Snap-n-Seal connectors a while back and have had very good luck using the purple ones on quad shield. In some instances, their red ones that are supposedly universal for quad 6 work better. It really is about using the proper tool though. I like the PPC ones too, but since I have a lifetime supply of SNS, I guess I won't be buying any of them anytime soon.
Posted By: hbiss Re: RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 04/02/19 05:11 AM
Originally Posted by jeffmoss26
I have been using the PPC connectors for the past several years, same as what TWC/Spectrum uses here.

Seems a lot of cable companies use PPC. Always nice to use what your cable company uses, maybe they won't cut them off if they think one of their guys put them on.

-Hal
Posted By: ChrisRR Re: RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 04/02/19 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by hbiss
Seems a lot of cable companies use PPC. Always nice to use what your cable company uses, maybe they won't cut them off if they think one of their guys put them on.

-Hal

I can't tell you how many times I've cabled houses for friends and the cable company cut them off.

Since I switched to PPC fittings, they never cut them off anymore.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 04/02/19 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisRR
I can't tell you how many times I've cabled houses for friends and the cable company cut them off.

Since I switched to PPC fittings, they never cut them off anymore.

Our work is always past any cable company Dmark and out of their jurisdiction.
I haven's seen a Hex Crimp F-connector for at least 10-15 years...I probably still have the tool though. 😂
Posted By: Daniel Re: RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 04/02/19 08:17 PM
One of the local security companies still uses hex crimp for their coax security cameras. (Please note that I am not posting this on April 1st)
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 04/03/19 12:29 AM
Hal, the cable guys will even give me jumpers and splittters if I ask nicely smile
Posted By: ChrisRR Re: RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 04/03/19 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by jeffmoss26
Hal, the cable guys will even give me jumpers and splittters if I ask nicely smile

Depending on the installer they send out that day, I've been given bags of fittings, splitters, amplifiers, even whole rolls of RG6. Some of them will barely give me the time of day.

Most of the time they are so impressed with the work I've done, and the fact that they had planned on spending a couple hours running cables to 4 receivers and a modem, only to find it's already been done for them - and better run than the way they would have done it, they are more than happy to open the van and let a few things "fall out".

They won't do any wire fishing, everything is always surface mounted, along baseboards, siding, floor joists, etc. I go in and fish everything so it looks like it was built that way, nice jacks in the walls, and a nice backboard for them to mount their splitters or amplifier to. They just make it live at the pole, install their splitter and run a few tests to make sure the signal is good and they get to have a long lunch hour. Most are more than happy to throw a few goodies at me for having all the PITA work done for them. And my customers/friends are happy they don't have black coax running up their white siding or along their baseboards. Everybody wins.
Posted By: hbiss Re: RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 04/03/19 04:46 AM
Jeff and Chris aok

-Hal
Posted By: hawk82 Re: RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 04/09/19 05:36 PM
Any specific models on the PPC connectors and which hand tool to use? I rarely run coax cables for clients, usually have provider do that. But on occasion things need to be done quickly and provider isn't available. I still have a bag of crimp end connectors (just used 2 last week) and a nice Ideal crimper, pity it won't be used anymore.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: RG6 Quad Coax terminations - 04/09/19 06:13 PM
Your coax will determine they type of connectors you need and the type of connectors will determine the type of tools you need.

Look for strippers that can do the coax. It doesn't work if you have a stripper that only has a setting for RG-59 and RG-59 and your cable is RG-6.

Next is the connectors. Generally speaking stay away from "Push-On" and "Hex Crimp-On". Compression fittings are the best route.

I use the Klein VDV211-063 because it will work on F, BNC, and RCA connectors to coaxial cables: Mini-coax, RG58, RG59, RG62, RG6/6Q, RG7, and RG11. I need a multiple tool rather than a tool for each.

VDV211-063

and the VDV110-061 stripper for RG59/RG6/6Q coaxial cable.

VDV110-061

For cutting cables I have a pair of Klein 63050.

Everyone has their favorite tools for a variety of reasons.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help