atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: surdel Real time help, t1 extension - 07/31/20 10:54 PM
I am trying to troubleshoot a t1 line from the smart jack to the wall plate in managers office. I used a loop back plugged it into the smart jack red alarm light went green. Plugged it into the wall plate keystone jack alarm light was still red. The termination from smart jack to 66 punch down looks good. I looked how the wiring was terminated on the keystone jack and its terminated to 568B standard side of keystone jack map. The wiring is white orange wire from cat5 to white orange on jack. Orange white to orange white on jack. Then white/blue to white/blue on jack. Then orange/white to orange white and white/orange from cable to orange/white on keystone jack. I dont think this is correct. Anyone here can show me the correct wiring for the keystone jack? I have a picture on my phone. The image of keystone jack is on pasteboard.co/Jkgib3W.jpg I will keep this open im on the customers site
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Real time help, t1 extension - 07/31/20 11:49 PM
Best to check with a wiremap tool and verify the blue - blue/white pair isn't crossed with the other blue - blue/white pair
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Real time help, t1 extension - 08/03/20 04:15 AM
My apologies for the late response to your real-time situation.

Doesn't a true T1 circuit use pins 1,2,7 and 8 under a USOC RJ48S configuration? A real "smart jack" has shorting bars that create a loop back condition when nothing is plugged into it, so you should have green (sync) lights when nothing is plugged in, but if you plug an open-ended extension cable, the loop back is broken and you'll get red lights. You might be chasing an issue with an RJ48S when you think you have an RJ48C or RJ48X, which uses pins 1,2,4 and 5.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE RJ48S WIRING HERE
Posted By: surdel Re: Real time help, t1 extension - 08/03/20 08:03 AM
Well when the rj48 is removed from the smart jack plug the light is red. I insert a loop back plug into it and the red light turns green. The card is a adtran smart jack card. I have a picture on phone is you want me to show it to you. A red patch cable "solid strand?" is inserted into the smart jack port. Other end has the white blue blue white pairs and white orange orange white pairs terminated onto a 66 pair. The horizontal cable that comes in to the back board is punched down onto the same lugs as the two pairs. Same color sequence used by the horizontal cable as the red patch cable. The other end of horizontal cable is punched down on a keystone jack. ITs punched down in the 568B color standard. So the wire colors matched the colors on the keystone jack. I have a picture of the keystone jack. What can I send a picture to?
Posted By: Silversam Re: Real time help, t1 extension - 08/03/20 01:53 PM
A couple of things -

- A T-1 should be terminated on an rj48X - Which provides a loopback when there is no equipment cable plugged in.
- How long is the run from the smart jack to the manager's office?
- What type of cable is it run with?
- Did this circuit ever work, or is it a brand new installation?
- Is the T-1 supposed to feed equipment in the manager's office?
- It's been a while and I'll have to think about the wiring, but how are you connecting the smart jack to the cable going to the manager's office? Some line cords reverse polarity. You really want to verify your wiring.

Sam
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Real time help, t1 extension - 08/03/20 03:37 PM
A red patch cable "solid strand?" is inserted into the smart jack port.
What is the pinout of the modular plug that is plugging into the smart-jack?
568-B (White/Orange, Orange/White, White/Green, Blue/White, White/Blue, Green/White. White/Brown, Brown/White)?
If so, your signals are on the Orange pair and Blue pair (pins 1&2 and 4&5)

Divide and conquer.

Remove the horizontal cable from the 66 block, so that just the red cable with the modular plug from the smart jack is terminated. Use a piece of 1-pair jumper wire to go from the Blue to Orange pair. Does the Red light on the smart-jack turn Green? If not, the red patch cable is bad.

If yes, reterminate the horizontal able, go to the far end, twist the Blue and Orange tips together, twist the Blue and Orange rings together, does the light go green? If no, the horizontal cable is bad.

If yes, Terminate the 568-B jack on the end of the cable, plug in your loop back plug, did the light turn Green? If no, the jack is bad,

if Yes, you're done.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Real time help, t1 extension - 08/03/20 05:23 PM
While you're stumbling around, Graybar has a jack designed to extend a smart jack.
allentel

It shorts the 1-4 and 2-5 pins when no cable is plugged in.

Carl
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Real time help, t1 extension - 08/03/20 06:15 PM
Topic locked due to duplicate threads:

https://sundance-communications.com...t-jack-to-66-to-keystone-jack#Post637763
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help