atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: dexman T59 Stapler/Staples - 09/15/21 03:42 AM
Back in May when Verizon swapped out my ONT as a part of a service upgrade, the technician used T59 staples to secure the power supply's cables as well as the RG6Q on the backboard. The brand of stapler & staples is ACME

I realize that stapling cables tends to be frowned upon, but, the staples seem to do a good job keeping cables in place, but allowing cables/wires to slide back & forth without any problems.

I went to Lowes and purchased a T59 stapler and a small supply of the staples. I did some test staples of scrap RG6Q and everything seemed fine.

Just wondering if anyone else had used these staples and how did things go ponder
Posted By: metelcom Re: T59 Stapler/Staples - 09/15/21 12:54 PM
I had one and it never worked right it would keep jamming up and have to squeeze the handle several times to get one staple. When it worked right it held the cables fine.
Posted By: dexman Re: T59 Stapler/Staples - 09/15/21 02:14 PM
No jams for me...yet. Hoping not to encounter that for a while. smile
Posted By: Mercenary Roadie Re: T59 Stapler/Staples - 09/17/21 09:09 PM
Nope, I won't use that type of staples.

Too easy to be off just a tiny bit and pierce the cable.

They also don't have any way to limit the penetration of the staple and you can end up with the staple being too tight even with the oversized staples.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: T59 Stapler/Staples - 09/17/21 10:56 PM
Once I wised up, "a little" I would only use a staple to secure a ty-wrap on a backboard and single cables. Faster than pulling out the drill motor, ty-wrap saddle and wood screw.

Once I wised up completely the stapler remained at home and never used again.
Posted By: hbiss Re: T59 Stapler/Staples - 09/20/21 09:01 PM
Just to be clear here, we are talking about Arrow T59 staples. The ones with the insulated plastic top. Not the usual T18 or T25. I no longer do much cable work, but they do work well for RG6 size cables.

[Linked Image from jensentools.com]

-Hal
Posted By: Butch Cassidy Re: T59 Stapler/Staples - 09/21/21 03:14 AM
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

This is the Arrow T25 stapler that uses round-top staples. It is supposed to secure up to 1/4" round cable. The front of the stapler is round to fit around the cable. But in my hands it often put a leg of the staple through the cable. Even if you don't pierce the cable, it tends to pinch the cable, which is not recommended.
Posted By: dexman Re: T59 Stapler/Staples - 09/21/21 04:04 AM
That's correct Hal. The insulated staples. They do a good job holding coaxial cable while allowing it to be slid side-to-slide as needed. thumbsup

I have noticed that, if I don't hold the stapler flat against the wall, a staple leg could jut out when being driven in.

If that happens, I pull the staple out and try again.
Posted By: dexman Re: T59 Stapler/Staples - 09/21/21 04:13 AM
I use a T25 to secure stand alone ground wire...14 or 12 gage. That staple works well for that. thumbsup
Posted By: hbiss Re: T59 Stapler/Staples - 09/21/21 11:47 PM
When I worked for the cable companies the T25 was the standard until they switched over to RG6. Not unusual to find a problem because of a staple through a cable. Can't say that I ever did that though, if I did I knew it and replaced the cable.

Then with telecom the T18 was made for JK station and ground wire. Later on I went into key systems that used 4 pr CAT3 and used the old T25 again. The only stapler I hated was the T75 with 25pr. That one would always shoot a leg through the cable and re-running 25pr wasn't cheap.

-Hal
Posted By: dexman Re: T59 Stapler/Staples - 09/22/21 07:13 PM
While recently rummaging through one of my two toolboxes at church, I stumbled upon a PowerFast 31000 stapler. I remember using it on occasion, but, switched to other means to secure cables to walls. Refills aren't that expensive at the "Depot", so I might head on over and grab a box to see how well it works in comparison to my personal T59 stapler. ponder
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help