atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: teldata1 Data cable tester - 07/07/22 11:36 AM
Hello I am looking for recommendations for a new cable tester

I’m used to using the STM –8

It seems to have stopped working I do believe I dropped it one too many times

I didn’t really want to spend a lot of money on buying a new one I think they’re around 480.00 or so

I still have the remote testers

I was in a little bit of a pickle so I just bought one at Home Depot Klein tools it’s called the scout pro 3 cable tester

Wondering if anybody has used this particular model it’s OK but it only comes with one remote I don’t wanna invest too much more money in it if I was gonna be getting something else

I know it’s not a certifier and I was just curious if anybody could recommend something

I’m curious if anybody still uses the STM – 8

Thanks

JD
Posted By: BTS01 Re: Data cable tester - 07/07/22 02:16 PM
JD,

I think if you can run a search on this site, there are several posts on this topic. But, may be older and some newer test equipment may be available. We have a couple of the Byte Brother tools that the guys are real happy with from what they tell me. Not sure, but seems they were over $300 at the time.

Hope this helps.
Rick
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Data cable tester - 07/07/22 02:56 PM
I think the Ideal Linkmaster is affordable and compatible with the numbered dongles. It's in the $100 range, but you can search Ebay for a sub-$100 replacement STM-8. That should get you through the short term.

Carl
Posted By: Yoda Re: Data cable tester - 07/07/22 07:46 PM
I've used the STM8 for many years, after recommendations from others on this board. Found one on ebay. I also dropped mine once too often and found a replacement on ebay. When I break this one, I'm done.

Jim
Posted By: erniejoey Re: Data cable tester - 10/25/22 11:37 AM
I currently use a Fluke IntelliTone Pro 200 digital toner for tracing data cables on live networks but it bleeds bad. I use a Fluke 620 for testing cables. I recently purchased a Noyafa NF-8209 for 55.00 just to try. Been a phone tech for 43 years, spent a ton of money on Fluke products and this little device helps more than the Fluke. It tones digitally, analog & POE with no bleed, maps pairs, does length, measures POE voltage and here is the best part it will flash the connected port on a live switch and tell you the speed of the port. My co worker purchased the NF-858C which also tests fiber. I don't know about long term but for the amount of time I have had the tester it has already bailed me out on cables that are not marked. Hope that helps...
Posted By: Toner Re: Data cable tester - 10/25/22 04:04 PM
Interesting find @erniejoey! Trying to tone a cable that's plugged into a switch port is the bane of my existence...
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: Data cable tester - 10/26/22 12:00 PM
I like the sounds of that Noyafa!

@Toner, I put my oscillator clips on the wht/blu and brn/wht (gender bender with breakout pairs on my end). Test for a short first--usually none--and tone away.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help