atcomsystems.ca/forum
I've always known that Auto Page relies on the Recall Rings setting to end up getting the Auto Page call into the recipient's mailbox.

The way Auto Page works is that a caller selects the option that the mailbox owner prompted them to select in their greeting, to activate Auto Page. The call is put on Hold, and the Auto Page announces the mailbox owner's name, and tells them what line their call is on. Ownership of the call, for recall purposes, is given to the destination extension. If the Auto Page goes unanswered, once the Hold Recall timer expires, the call recalls to that person's extension. The Recall Rings setting determines how many times the call rings back at that extension before following the call forward destination (in most cases, sending it to the mailbox).

I recently learned that the Quick Page feature works in the same way, in regards to the recall. Previously, I always thought it recalled to the person who ACTIVATED/PERFORMED the Quick Page feature, to give them an option to redirect the call.

I can understand the way the Auto Page works, since it starts out as an automated process. However, since the Quick Page is a manually-initiated process (usually performed by the Operator), I believe it should recall back to the initiator.

The other part of this is how the Recall Rings works in conjunction with the two mentioned page features.

First, my little soap box: I have never EVER had a customer who wanted Hold Recalls to end up sending their call into Voicemail; rather, they want the call to continue recalling (ringing) until it gets picked back up, or is abandoned by the caller. I have had many reports, however, where we've forgotten to extend Recall Rings, and they complain that their calls get lost, hang up upon hearing the voicemail greeting (confused), or something to that effect. For this reason, we almost always kick the Recall Rings setting from the default of 6 to the maximum of 40. This makes it so a Hold Recall would have to ring 40 times (not likely) before following that station's Call Forward destination (usually Voicemail). Those who don't know about the feature usually just end up kicking the Hold Recall timer WAY out, to prevent calls from recalling at all. My way ends up screwing up the ability to use Auto Page and Quick Page. The other way screws up the ability to utilize the benefits of Hold Recall.

My suggestion, if the Recall Rings thing MUST be there (even though it seems silly to me), would be to have Auto Page follow the Call Forward timer (Transfer Recall Timer, default: 3 rings) instead of the Recall Rings timer, OR have a separate Page Recall timer, so it can remain separate from the Recall Rings timer, thereby allowing Hold Recalls to ring a long time, while still allowing Page Recalls to reach the intended destination.

As for the Quick Page, I guess I could go either way: work the same as I suggested for the improved Auto Page, or recall back to the initiator. I could go either way because manually transferred calls follow the destination's call forward programming, but a call manually put on hold recalls to the station where the call was placed on hold. Both are manual functions, but one is sent, and the other is held. I guess my preference would still be to have the manual Quick Page end up recalling to the phone that initiated the Quick Page (the phone that, essentially, put the call on hold using Quick Page).

Any thoughts?
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help