atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Anonymous 128 E || Keeps dropping PRI - 03/12/07 10:45 PM
I've got a site with a PRI from Qwest. About once a month the PRI circuit seems to go down. I'll arrive on site and see no error lights on the smart jack.

Once I call Qwest and have the bounce the D Channel, all is well. Has anyone ever had this problem? I've changed out EVERYTHING on the KSU at this site. The sofware is the newest version, nothing helps.

Normally I would blame it on Qwest, however next door I have another site running a PRI and it has not gone down once, the only difference is this is a 128 X instead of the E.

Has anyone seen this issue before?
Posted By: bdunne Re: 128 E || Keeps dropping PRI - 03/12/07 11:19 PM
Do you have an NSP so tech support can get in while the PRI is down?

I had a site where the PRI would drop all calls every week or so and come back on line right away (within 2 minutes) . After a month and 3 site visits from the CLEC they finally fixed it, it was a bad pair.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 128 E || Keeps dropping PRI - 03/13/07 12:33 AM
yeah i've got an NSP on it.

This site is my nightmare. I manage their IT as well. They run a car dealership off Cox Cable's public internet. It drops ALL the time. They forgot to consult with me when they signed a 3 year contract with cox...

Now the PRI from Qwest, it seems to drop about once per month. This site drives me insane.
Posted By: 5Etek-mike Re: 128 E || Keeps dropping PRI - 03/13/07 02:51 AM
The intermittent trouble may be at the smartjack itself. I'm puzzled with "no error lights while the circuit is down." :scratch:

Next time you call Qwest from onsite, observe the smartjack indicator LEDs while they are bouncing the D-channel, and let them know your observations.
Posted By: walterv Re: 128 E || Keeps dropping PRI - 03/16/07 02:04 PM
What is "bouncing the D channel" and why would someone request that?

I am not too sharp with PRI circuits, but would like to learn smile hope you don't mind a dumb question like this.

Walter
Posted By: 5Etek-mike Re: 128 E || Keeps dropping PRI - 03/16/07 05:06 PM
No Walter, that's not a dumb question. There may be different explanations to the term "bounce". To me, it simply means to "remove from service, then restore back to service". Actually, you are "bouncing" the entire PRI, because the 23 B-Channels must be removed from service first, before the D-Channel can be removed/restored. You would then put the B-Channels back in service. You're basically "bumping, or bouncing" the PRI. On rare occasions, this "bouncing" is requested in attempts to possibly clear any synchronization issues, timing, etc.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help