atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: grider Esi-Access Network Connection - 04/20/07 06:11 AM
Before I go into detail on this subject I want to remind those of you that consider responding to evaluate your response first to verify that it does not contain any information that should not be posted in the public forum.

I am dealing with a system in a location far enough away from me that it is imperative that I establish a network connection to the NSP card. I have dial-up access to the system and the system is connected to the LAN properly. The system is operating on a T-1 channel bank with several lines. The quality of the lines prior to delivery into the system are somewhat less than "Quality". Those lines are so bad that I am only able to dial into the system after 9PM and even then it is crap shoot, thus the reason needed for network access.

My first hurdle to overcome is the Network IT Administrator. During the on site visit I determined through a physical connection to the LAN the Public IP address to be XX.XXX.XXX.XX3 The fact that it ends in 3 is all that matters for this post. In an email with the network administrator I ask him to verify that IP address along with a few other pertinent settings. His response to my email was less than cooperative and he informed me that the Public IP was XX.XXX.XXX.XX4

The problem now is that I am second guessing what I saw and what he is telling me. I need his cooperation in this matter to get this over with and I need a few more things from him before this is over with so I did a test.

I ping tested both IP's. Results:

IP ending in #4 failed, 4 packets sent, 4 lost
IP ending in #3 passed, 4 packets sent, 0 lost

My Question: Am I correct in assuming the results of the "PING" test the correct public IP is the one ending with #3 and the one ending with #4 to be non-existent?

Before the low life telephone tech sends the Network Administrator an email telling him he is wrong, the low life telephone tech must have accurate information.

Are my test results conclusive?
Posted By: upstateny Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 04/20/07 07:25 AM
I don't see any reason to put this in installers. John your results are definitely not conclusive. The public ip that does not respond to a ping could simply mean that the router is set to not respond when it is pinged. I believe many routers even come set to not respond out of the box.
Posted By: upstateny Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 04/20/07 07:27 AM
Where did you see the .3 address?
Posted By: grider Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 04/20/07 07:42 AM
The Dot-3 address was located while on site following instructions per ESI tech support. Basically the way that is done is using a computer connected to the LAN and Command Prompt tracert -d www.???.com

Intentionally being vague here but I believe you are following me?
Posted By: grider Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 04/20/07 08:06 AM
I will be out of office the rest of the day. I won't be ignoring any responses to this thread just away from the computer. Thanks in advance for any input!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 04/20/07 09:18 AM
Do they have a block of IP's or just a single static?

They may have ICMP traffic blocked on .3 which would respond with a time out / no reply message.
Posted By: RobCalltrol Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 04/20/07 09:54 AM
grider, the best way to get the public IP is to hit www.whatismyip.com from a computer connected to the same switch as the ESI system. If there's a block of addresses available, then you don't necessarily need to run the ESI network on the LAN, you could connect it ahead of their LAN router. In which case, what the IT guy may not be saying directly but implies, is that you can configure the ESI at .4, because he's already using .3 for the LAN router.
Posted By: grider Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 04/20/07 04:05 PM
Rob & Aircom

I wish when I was on site I had requested an independant IP from an available block. Unfortunately there was no reference to that scenario in the manual I was following, NSP made simple from the reseller website. As it stands now I am connected to the router and I will need to leave it that way and be successful.

The website I connected to and "whatismyip" are very similar. The one I used is www.arin.net via C-promt. What arin shows differently is it will display the steps or hops beginning from the connected computer all the way out, in order. The second item on the list is the public IP.

The reason I am attempting to be very dilligent and get all my specs perfect is 2 reasons.

1. The Network Admin guy is less than user friendly.
2. Setting up a connection for the first time can be very frustrating without confidence in the network settings. Especially with a 1 hour window every night at 9-10 using internal modem that gets connected 1 out of 15 attempts. No sarcasm there, that is a fact. Just getting connected takes 2 beers.

As far as ICMP traffic being blocked. I am able to ping .3 and get positive results and .3 is the public IP I obtained personally. Now as far as .4 possibly having ICMP traffic blocked, that might be so. But if the NA wanted me to use .4 instead of .3 I think he would have unblocked it.

Thanks
Posted By: grider Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 04/21/07 06:19 AM
About ICMP traffic being blocked. If the network settings have been configured correctly to allow my Esi-Access connection then it should also allow a PING test. Right?

In other words if I could connect to it via Esi-Access I should also be able to PING the NSP?
If I could PING the NSP but couldn't connect Esi-Access then my problem is not with physical connection.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 04/21/07 10:20 AM
If the NSP is sitting behind the router, then your assumption about ping automatically being allowed is not correct. If you are using One-to-One NAT, it would be the device (such as the NSP) responding to the ping, but only if the router is allowing the ping thru. If you are using port forwarding, it would be the router that would be responding, but only if it's programmed to do so. Just because you setup port forwarding or One-to-One NAT, that doesn't automatically mean you will get a ping response. That is a separate set of ports, and is typically blocked by default. Also, don't assume that, just because you asked the network admin to forward your UDP ports, that he/she will also allow the ping. They'll probably be reluctant enough to forward the ports, just to be difficult. Allowing the ping is like changing from an unlisted to a listed phone number. You'll run into more reluctance there. Now, if it's only temporary for testing purposes, then they'll probably go for it, so you have a chance to get your equipment working, using the tools you need (such as ping) to get it working.
Posted By: grider Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 04/21/07 12:00 PM
5Y, We are using Port Forwarding. 59002-59008 to be exact. This is for permanent application for future reference.

Thanks for the input!!
Posted By: Phone-Dog Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 04/21/07 01:30 PM
You could always call the CLEC and identify yourself as a vendor for the customer and ask that they send a voice/data config sheet for your records. I get this all the time and the CLEC's email me all the info.
Posted By: grider Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 04/21/07 02:33 PM
Phone-Dog clap clap

Now that is a great example of how to get things done that you only find on our board. I'm gonna go rate you with some stars. Thank You
Posted By: bdunne Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 04/22/07 09:44 PM
Don't assume that just because you asked the network admin to forward the ports that they are in fact forwarded. I've lost count of the number of times it's taken 2 or 3 tries to get a simple NAT done.
Posted By: grider Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 05/02/07 02:17 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for their efforts. It has taken 12 days to get it done but it is now complete. The solution was as bdunne said above. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Thank You
Posted By: LaneComm Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 05/02/07 02:23 PM
Persistance and Patience our required in most everything we do! Good follow up John.
Posted By: Cracker Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 05/13/07 07:11 PM
What did you finally get for an Ip John? The reason I'm asking is that trace route might not give you the correct IP. In a block of IP's the first one is not usable by the customer and this might be what you were getting. If I use the same tracert -dwww.xxx.net that you were using my ip does not come up correct. It comes up xx.xxx.xxx.5 and my ip is xx.xx.xxx.155.
Posted By: grider Re: Esi-Access Network Connection - 05/13/07 07:25 PM
The proper IP ended up being the Dot4 IP as the Network Guy said it was. The problem never was the IP, it was the Port Forwarding had not been done. Once that was done it was a smooth connection. Even though the problem was solved I still question the use of tracert command from C prompt while inside the network. That procedure came direct from ESI website via pdf.

I guess that is why this board exists. As I have said several times, give me the knowledge from a gang of field techs over an 800 tech support number any day.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help