atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: JWRacedog VM Box not "Hearing" callers message - 08/23/07 08:40 AM
We are "supporting" one ESI system (very small). We helped the customer out of a jam by moving a few extensions and clearing up some C.O. line problems about 3-4 months ago.

They don't have an ESI dealer in town, and I only know of one other ESI system around here (a Norvergence deal from the past). We don't care to take on another system, but would like to help them out if we can. Here's what I know:

Customer says callers call in (all calls are answered by VM/AA) dial an extension, and when the caller goes to the extension MB, they cannot leave a message after hearing the greeting---they get "cut-off" after about 3 seconds. This is happening on an intermittent basis. However. yesterday, I called in, and it worked fine.

We are going out there today, just to see if it is a C.O. line or C.O. port issue. I also will try to get some information about who they had put in the system.

Question: Could this be a programmable issue (seconds of silence e.g) in the VM? Can any help be offered via phone??

We'll update this when we get back later on today.
Hey, JW

Whay is the size of the system because a reseller can dial in and look at it remotely on most of them. If you need some help let us know.
Posted By: LaneComm Re: VM Box not "Hearing" callers message - 08/23/07 09:48 AM
Is the mailbox full?
Posted By: grider Re: VM Box not "Hearing" callers message - 08/23/07 10:17 AM
JW, I believe you have an older 2 hour VM in play here. The ESI system has a recycle bin where deleted messages go. The tenth oldest message gets completely deleted when a new message goes into the recycle bin. If the system is at near capacity and an 8 minute message gets deleted it might bump a 30 second message out and become overloaded. It will remain overloaded until a smaller message already in place gets deleted plus 9 more smaller one till the big one finally gets dumped.

If your onsite you can delete the recycle bin by the following procedure:

PRGM-STAR-100#-9

Then press 7 to delete them one at a time and get all 10 of them.

You are only deleting messages that were already heard and deleted once by the user.

Next you will need to do the same with Ext 101 and so on down the line.

If a password is requested use your installer password.

There is also a remote way to do this if you are away from the location which I'm not gonna share on the open forum.

I'll PM you my contact info.
Posted By: PhoneSol Re: VM Box not "Hearing" callers message - 08/23/07 11:12 AM
You didn't say what happened after the caller was "cut off" but like you mentioned rt could also be the threshold level setting for the mailboxes. This is not available in ESI-Access or ESI Programmer but is an advanced level setting.

It can be tested by calling in and leaving a message at different voice levels. I would guess though that there is a better chance that it is a full mailbox or VM like John said...
Posted By: grider Re: VM Box not "Hearing" callers message - 08/23/07 11:34 AM
I called into the system and deleted contents of the recycle bins. There wern't very many at all. I requested to be transferred to MB100 to hear what happens. When the tone came to leave the message it cut me off during the middle of the message. I'm leaning toward line receive volume level next.

Jim, Whatya think man.

BTW we arn't sure which system it is, It was described to me as an ESI 2 except she said it was in roman numerals???

I asked if there was any C's or S's or E's in the name and she said no. It apparently has 12 operating extensions?

Thoughts????
Posted By: Steve Mull Re: VM Box not "Hearing" callers message - 08/23/07 12:46 PM
Get into programing(through the phone) and dial 9813, it will tell you how much space is left in the VM, I have had this happen and the VM was about full
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: VM Box not "Hearing" callers message - 08/23/07 01:39 PM
John---nice talking to you this afternoon.

Make sure you and Jeanne (Bergstrom) are on the same page as far as your payment goes.

We went there today, but I told her it was a "No Charge"---because we really didn't do anything except refer them to you--and we were on our way to another job, anyway.

If you need us to do anything there, let me know. It's in your hands now.
Posted By: grider Re: VM Box not "Hearing" callers message - 08/23/07 01:51 PM
I'll do my best but I'm gettin on a plane in a few hours headed to Maine.

Here is what I have for the fellow ESI Techs to chew on.

Still don't exactly know what type system it is but it runs on 2.05.07 Software and the phones are the ones with Park1-Park2-Park3.

The 9813 results are that it has 98% free space so the VM Full issue is out.

This system must be one of the oldest of the older ESI's.
Posted By: Toneman Re: VM Box not "Hearing" callers message - 08/23/07 03:10 PM
I have had to add new software to the older systems to beat this problem at more than one location. The system actually never dumps so the storage capacity continues to fill up until you can't leave any messages for anyone. You will get cut off. After uploading the new software the prompts will need to be re-recorded. I have downloaded all prompts and then uploaded them after upgrade of software, but the personal greetings all have to be re-recorded. The software update is on the resellers site. This sounds identical to the problems I've had. Chris in tech support is very good with this problem at ESI. Good Luck...
Posted By: Steve Mull Re: VM Box not "Hearing" callers message - 08/23/07 05:18 PM
That was gonna be my next suggestion, upgrade the software , only problem is it will probably re-initailize the system if it is running old software, which re-initailizing may not be a bad idea.
The Park 1 - Park 2 - Park 3 keys gives it away that it's an old original electronic (2-pair) IVX. Another indicator is that there are no scroll keys, and the volume control is a slider that goes left to right.

This is more than likely an invalid message count, where the system thinks it has more messages than it actually does. I believe I remember hearing that the invalid message count was a problem going all the way back to this system, and I believe, just like on the IVX 128 and newer, tech support can dial in and clear this out. In my experience, this should clear up the problem (if it is, in fact, caused by invalid message count), but it may actually come back. I've found that once a system starts having this problem, it won't totally go away without initializing and starting over. If you have messages playing where greetings should be, then you have to delete all messages (including in the recycle bin, which I thought the electronic system did not actually have), and delete the personal greeting(s) for that box, and then rerecord the greeting. All things I've run across before. I would definitely see if you can talk to Chris H. in tech support (tell him Justin from Signal says "hi"). He's been around long enough that he should have no problem helping you through this problem.

One thing that's throwing me is the software version you gave, John. How did you determine it (I'm guessing via the user at a phone)? If you look on the reseller site, the last version available for the electronic IVX is 3.1.1. They must have changed how the create their version numbers. It seems odd that it would jump from 2.x.x to 3.x.x, based on how they number software versions nowadays.

Let us know how it turns out. If I can be of assistance, let me know.

Justin
Posted By: Toneman Re: VM Box not "Hearing" callers message - 08/24/07 07:58 AM
If it is the 2 pair original IVX then most likely from my experience this is going to be a warning of inpending hard drive failure and the hard drive will have to be replaced.
Posted By: nonameyet Re: VM Box not "Hearing" callers message - 08/25/07 07:30 AM
uuhh, Not all the IVX's with Park keys are 2 pair.

I was just at a site yesterday, 1 pair, park keys.

and yes, their hard drive is about to go south.
ONE Park Key, not Park 1, Park 2, Park 3. The original DIGITAL (one-pair) DP1 phones has A SINGLE park key, but NOT 3 park keys. John (grider) said there were 3 park keys, which means it is, without a doubt, a 4-wire electronic phone.

Justin
Posted By: Patty Re: VM Box not "Hearing" callers message - 01/23/08 04:21 PM
Hello All!

I'm baaacck. You may remember last year that I joined your message group because I have an ESI phone system that was having problems. I have a public relations firm and know nothing about phone systems and could find no one to help me.

I met the wild and wonderful John Grider of Greenlight Connections who saved me.

Well, this week my voicemail system had a heartattack and died. Then the system decided that the fax machine would ring on all lines. Not fun. Again, no one could figure it out.

I came back to this site to read up on it and then contacted John. John fixed it in 5 minutes. He is my hero! I blogged about him yesterday and he is now going to guest blog on our site.

I just wanted to give a shout out to John adn all of you - you are amazingly smart and this PR girl thanks you!

Patty
Posted By: Test-ok Re: VM Box not "Hearing" callers message - 01/24/08 01:05 PM
Not again..Patty your going to make Johns head swell to the point of no return. :rofl:
Seriously though, were all glad he could be of service to you and your system. smile
Thanks again for your comments.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help