atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: The phone Man VIP Installation Help - 09/09/07 08:43 PM
Hey guys I need some help I have to Install VIP tomorrow and it will be the first time I have to do it Can some one PM me and tell me how to complete this process.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/09/07 09:33 PM
There's an install manual on the reseller site under Documents.

1. Make sure the IP you set the NSP is on the same subnet @ the rest of the network.

2. Give the extension access to VIP

3. Make sure windows firewall, Norton, McAfee etc are disabled when installing VIP. This will wreak havoc if they are not.

4. Install VIP on the PC. It's pretty straight forward from there.
Posted By: The phone Man Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/09/07 10:22 PM
I just went to the website and downloaded it thanks A lot. I am doing an install for someone else tomorrow. He did not sent the VIP disc down witht the system. Is there some where I can down load the disc that I need to install on each computer.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/09/07 10:50 PM
The software can be found on https://www.esiusers.com .

Go to downloads and scroll down.
Posted By: The phone Man Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/09/07 11:22 PM
Ok I looked there and all I found was that really big file that is taking like 20 minutes to down load. Thanks again for all your help.
Posted By: Steve Mull Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/10/07 03:51 AM
there is no need to turn off the windows firewall, ESI fixed it to where you don't have to turn it off.
Posted By: PhoneSol Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/10/07 06:14 AM
VIP Reseller Link has everything you need to know including the download to install on the PC's. Burn a disk with the files on it, the end-user can even do the initial installation on their PC. Make sure you've got a good IP assigned to the NSP.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/10/07 06:44 AM
Don't forget to set a password (even if you don't set password level (if it's not a 56S), even if you set all VIP users' passwords to the same as their mailbox number or something else that's easy. The VIP setup requires a password to be entered. Also, remind them to not change their password from their phone, as they will then be locked out of VIP until they update the password in VIP setup. Instead, they should change their password from the VIP user interface.

Justin
Posted By: The phone Man Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/10/07 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the help on this post guys. I got the job done today and all is well that ends well.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/10/07 06:18 PM
Great! Good job!!
Posted By: walterv Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/13/07 02:49 PM
Here are some other things I learned about VIP:
If you are installing it in a lawyers office, make sure they do not have a software called "Time Matters" I learned about this the hard way.

Also a very popular anti-virus software that is free (AVG) will not work with VIP.

Walter
Posted By: Anonymous Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/13/07 10:01 PM
Walter,

What issues did you come across with "Time Matters".

I've never had any issues with AVG and VIP. What problems did that give you?
Posted By: walterv Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/14/07 02:01 PM
When we installed VIP here in the office, the first thing tech support told us was it will not work with AVG.

We installed VIP in a law office had many problems with VIP (first install of VIP so I thought it was just a learning curve).After 6 or seven trips, ESI got int their server and saw they had Time Matters, they then told us VIP will not work properly with that software.

Walter
Posted By: Avalon Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/14/07 05:17 PM
I once had an office where VIP did not work with the clients software that connected his cell to record cell voice mails, he asked me to un-install VIP, basically if you don't have a full time MCSE CCNA working for you to implement VIP.....Good luck............
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/14/07 05:49 PM
Although there are cases where VIP will not work alongside other add-on software, VIP, for the most part, is a very solid, reliable, and easy-to-implement piece of software. All of our customers love it. We've only run across two instances where we've found conflicts with other add-on software. Avalon, in my opinion, your analysis is flawed, and I think a little too broad a description. I'm sure others will concur with me.
Posted By: walterv Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/21/07 12:54 PM
5 years,

My feelings are between yours and Avalon. We have a part time computer tech that works for us and we still have problems when we install VIP. The problem is not so much the VIP software but the networks we install it on.

Having a computer tech really helps us identify network,workstation issuses quickly. When I sell a customer VIP, part of my agreement is that they will have their computer tech on site when we do the install. If they do not have a tech, I price my guy into the job,the same is true when we do VOIP.

Walter
Posted By: Avalon Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/26/07 02:20 PM
5 years,

My problem wasn't so much with VIP itself, although It could be a bit more plug & play, the problem is that when you get involved with a customers network, you can burn hours doing quirky things to get VIP to work on a network that you had no hand in putting together.
The Idea of selling phone systems is to make money, sure if I were a PBX Tech who received a pay check every week, I would love to spend endless hours implimenting a PBX unified Msg software.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: VIP Installation Help - 09/26/07 09:08 PM
That's a danger you take on when you go into it alone. On the other hand, in this case, maybe it would be cost-effective and beneficial to work with the IT person or vendor to help implement it. Give them some ownership in it.

Of course there's good and bad to both taking it on yourself and giving the IT person ownership in it.

Justin
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help