atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Jim Doberman NSP (stopped working) on ESI 100 System - 07/14/09 07:36 PM
We have been using ESI 100 with two (2) VIP license for almost two years. Last week, we had an issue with MS Exchange Server and had to delete and add email accounts on local computers. With these changes, PC stopped communicating to NSP. Now, VIP is not working.

I have performed the following to troubleshoot but NO results.

1. Ping internal IP of NSP - No response at all.
2. Removed and reinstall VIP on PCs
3. DHCP stopped and restarted
4. Changed patch cable
5. Changed port on hub
6. Booted ESI twice (during boot, I do see lights ON at NSP port and then OFF completely)

PS: Internal IP for NSP is reserved. Nothing changed on IPs, equipment, firewall, etc.

Seeking your help to troubleshoot the problem, prior to calling ESI tech.

Thank you in advance
Posted By: grider Re: NSP (stopped working) on ESI 100 System - 07/15/09 03:28 AM
#6 Concerns me:

6. Booted ESI twice (during boot, I do see lights ON at NSP port and then OFF completely)

I think :scratch: the NSP should stay lit just like a network card on a computer. On any time connected to network active port.

ESI TS does have a way to reset the NSP remotely which might be in your future.

Admin Hint: Move this to ESI for better exposure. smile
Could be a IP address conflict , change the IP address of the NSP then see if you can ping it.
Thank you for the comments.

1. Move ESI for better exposure? Sorry, I did not get that. (?)

2. How can I change IP address of the NSP? Really, I was looking for information and was not able to find it.

If I connect directly to laptop using patch cable, how do I access it. I tried default https://XXX.XXX.1.333 (no access) or XXX.XXX.1 (no access). I tried with https - NO resu.t

Do I need to connect via RS232C. If yes, how do you interact.
Posted By: grider Re: NSP (stopped working) on ESI 100 System - 07/19/09 11:55 AM
The "Move I was referring to is that this thread should be in the ESI category since it is of ESI subject matter. All your gonna get in this category is a bunch of IT jargon which is the last thing you need at this point.

Does the NSP have a private IP?
Is port 59002 forwarded to the private IP?
If you can't ping it and the light isn't lit most likely the NSP is bad............what does esi tech support say?
Originally posted by Jim Doberman:
Thank you for the comments.

If I connect directly to laptop using patch cable, how do I access it. I tried default https://XXX.XXX.1.333 (no access) or XXX.XXX.1 (no access). I tried with https - NO resu.t

You will never see an IP address end in .333 since it is not possible....they will never exceed 255.
Posted By: SST Re: NSP (stopped working) on ESI 100 System - 07/20/09 09:22 AM
Your not going to get to it through a web browser either. No lights on the NSP? Double check the patch panel to make sure you are actually still plugged in to your network.
Posted By: bdunne Re: NSP (stopped working) on ESI 100 System - 07/20/09 11:24 AM
I have never seen an NSP go bad. It's always something else that causes VIP not to work. If the light is not coming on when you plug it in, it's got to be the last mile (or last metre in this case).

Is the switch that the NSP is connected to an auto-sensing switch? (i.e will it work on all ports with either a straight through or a crossover patch cable?)

If NOT, check your patch cable to make sure it's not a crossover type. It may have got switched despite your best efforts.
Originally posted by upstateny:
[b] Thank you for the comments.

You will never see an IP address end in .333 since it is not possible....they will never exceed 255. [/b]
Sorry, I made a mistake. The IP address for NSP is 192.168.1.131. I tired to access NSP via http and https using 192.168.1.131 but it does not work. I also tried 192.168.1.1 assuming that it might have changed to default for some reason.
Originally posted by bdunne:
I have never seen an NSP go bad. It's always something else that causes VIP not to work. If the light is not coming on when you plug it in, it's got to be the last mile (or last metre in this case).

Is the switch that the NSP is connected to an auto-sensing switch? (i.e will it work on all ports with either a straight through or a crossover patch cable?)

If NOT, check your patch cable to make sure it's not a crossover type. It may have got switched despite your best efforts.
Dear Bdunne: Everything was working until we deleted and added Microsoft Exchange email account on the PC. Again nothing has been changed on ESI, NSP, Cable, Switch. All hardware is as it is. Really, I am scratching my head too...
Originally posted by upstateny:
If you can't ping it and the light isn't lit most likely the NSP is bad............what does esi tech support say?
I did not call ESI yet. The lights were ON, when the ESI system was booting. I am really surprised with NSP behavior, how could things change when the only thing I changed is Microsoft Exchange account on the PC (not on the server).

In fact, six months ago we have upgrade Windows 2003 to 2008 Exchange 2003 to 2007 and nothing happened during that time.
Posted By: grider Re: NSP (stopped working) on ESI 100 System - 07/20/09 01:19 PM
Jim

Unplug the mod plug from the NSP and then plug it into a laptop. From that laptop send me an email (address in profile). We gotta get that connected issue worked out before the IP address tinkering gets out of control.

By the way, you do know that contacting ESI directly isn't gonna do much good. They only work with ESI resellers. When will you be getting the installer involved?
Dear John,
Ok, will send you an email tomorrow morning. For sure, I do know that cables and Hub are working because I did unplug other WORKING CABLES AND PORTS and plugged to ESI/NSP. I will be contacting installer if I cannot resolve it in the next two days.
Dear John,
I did send an email to you by using the cable which was connected to ESI/NSP. Disconnected the cable from NSP, connected to laptop and an email was sent per your request. It was successful !

As a matter of fact, the laptop is still connected to this cable (NSP) while I am typing this email.
Can we RESET NSP by user a JUMPER on the Mother Board ? I did see the words NSP RST !
Can we RESET NSP by user a JUMPER on the Mother Board ? I did see the words NSP RST !
In order to access the motherboard you need to power down...which would reset the NSP there.

You want to be careful doing stuff like this...even if you know what you are doing....in most instance you would void the warranty if there is one......i know under the terms of my contract it would void any warranty that i offer.
Posted By: grider Re: NSP (stopped working) on ESI 100 System - 07/21/09 03:27 PM
I got the email and your laptop access to return here and post has verified network connection.

The time has come to contact the person(s) that installed the system and make that dreaded contact with ESI TS.

They really are a pretty good bunch of guys and gals that get results.

I certainly would appreciate it if you would do that and then post your findings.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to access the motherboard you need to power down...which would reset the NSP there.

You want to be careful doing stuff like this...even if you know what you are doing....in most instance you would void the warranty if there is one......i know under the terms of my contract it would void any warranty that i offer.

I do work on Servers, PCs, Printer boards, but never worked on Telephone system M/B . I am going to power down the M/B. But, jumping NSP PINS (on the M/B) would that RESET NSP?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do work on Servers, PCs, Printer boards, but never worked on Telephone system M/B . I am going to power down the M/B. But, jumping NSP PINS (on the M/B) would that RESET NSP?
Powering the system down and back up will reset the NSP.....i have no idea whether changing jumpers would help....do that at your own risk!!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help