atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: tjsr ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/02/16 04:59 PM
Has anyone else had any problems with cut off voice and noisy phone calls on a ESI 200. We have monitored the pots lines when the noise and cut off are happening and they are clean. The noise does not happen on every call. If we disconnect the ground it seems to work better. Any ideas?
Posted By: 94astro Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/03/16 12:30 AM
Digital or IP phones?
Posted By: tjsr Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/03/16 02:17 AM
Digital
Posted By: oobie Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/03/16 01:00 PM
What Kind/model of digital phones? How long has the system been installed?
Posted By: tjsr Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/03/16 01:28 PM
48 Button and 30D
system has been in for about 11 months.
problem started after 6 months
Posted By: upstateny Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/03/16 02:38 PM
Does it happen on all phones or just phones on one card?
Posted By: Rcaman Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/03/16 02:57 PM
I have seen this. First off, if you have a PRI card, change it. I know you wrote that you monitored the POTS lines, but they may be in addition to the PRI lines.

I have also see a digital card do this. If you have any D12 cards, you may want to replace one with a spare and see if the problem is resolved. If not, move the new card to the next D12 slot and so on.

I find that "when the ground is removed, it works better" interesting. Are you 100% sure you have a valid ground and that ground and the telephone company incoming cable sheath are bonded? If you have voltage potential differences between "grounds," this can create all kinds of weird and phantom problems.

Finally, if you have "fake" dial tone from a cable provider, you may want to examine their grounds (if ANY) and make sure your ground and their ground are bonded.

Rcaman
Posted By: tjsr Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/03/16 04:15 PM
No PRI card installed.
There are two D12 cars installed. We will look at those.
We have been looking at the grounding. No problems found
so far but will keep looking.

Everything we look at points back to the ESI system.
Could a bad compact flash cause any of this?
Posted By: Rcaman Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/03/16 04:39 PM
Unlikely. The CF is used to store program data and to provide the boot code for the system. If swapping out the cards does not do it, then you may want to replace the processor module.

I would inspect the ground and bonding VERY closely. Removing a ground and the system responds with better performance is never a good thing.

One other thing. When you say noise, is this "data noise" or is this static? All the solutions I've suggested is for data noise. Data noise is generated in the telephone system and is resolved by module replacement. Static is analog noise introduced into the system from many sources, including CO Lines, bad station wiring and connections, bad jacks and water intrusion in either a cable or jack. Usually data noise is not intermittent, but static is usually intermittent until the situation worsens and it will become constant.

Rcaman
Posted By: tjsr Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/03/16 07:02 PM
Some of the calls sound like digital noise while some of the others the voice from the calling party cuts in and out and sometimes sounds like a voip call. We have recording of some of the calls. We have sent them to ESI but they are not sure ether. We talked to them about replacing the processor but they don't thing that is the problem.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/04/16 01:37 PM
Check the output of the power supply when it is powering the system. Two years ago I had a 600 that had a weak power supply that did the same thing. The fading out of the call is the clue.

Rcaman
Posted By: tjsr Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/04/16 02:32 PM
Will do....thanks for you help.
Posted By: tjsr Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/30/16 04:14 PM
Update Problem Solved
ESI had us take a look at the ground wire inside of the unit.
The connection was loose. The nut on the inside had never been
tightened. The ground wire on the inside was loose. We tightened
that nut and checked all of the grounding for the cards.
That cleared up all of our problems.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/30/16 07:42 PM
More times than not, it is the basics. I am as guilty as anyone, when giving advice, I ASSume things like grounding and bonding, power supply connections and firmware updates have already been checked BEFORE one comes to the site to ask questions.

With all systems, it is always a good practice to give ground and power supply connections a good and thorough check.

Several years ago, after several ESI dealers as well as an ESI engineer, from ESI had worked several unfruitful hours on a very badly mis-behaving ESI Comm Server 600, our company was called. We were the last and if we could not identify and fix the problem, the company was going with a new system from Nortel.

When taking on a new customer, I always do a thorough check of the grounds, bonds and power supply connections. The power was being supplied to the ESI via several multi-plug strips. My first suggestions was to eliminate all the power strips and install a dedicated duplex receptacle for the system. Second, I checked the grounds and bonds. The cable sheath from Verizon was bonded to the nice, fat green wire going to the ground on the ESI cabinet. I checked the gauge and it was a #8 wire. I deemed that to be sufficient. I would rather have had it be a #6, but the copper water pipe that the wire was supposed to be connected was within 10 feet of the system on the other side of the wall.

All LOOKED good, however, when I did a megger test on the ground, it had an infinite open. What??? Since all the cables and this ground wire had been tie-wrapped to several pipes with, at least, 1,000 tie wraps, I knew it was going to be a real nightmare. I think I filled a trash can with all the cut ties. The ground wire went through the wall and continued across the ceiling to the water pipe. After cutting the tie wraps, the ground wire was loose. I tugged on it and nearly fell off the ladder. The ground wire was cut in the wall!

I could have spliced the wire, but I replaced it with a #2 bare copper wire and actually did a water meter shunt to the incoming copper water pipe.

That was 5 years ago. The system has been completely tame and not one single problem reported in 5 years. Other than Windstream problems because in that 5 year span, the client switch to Windstream from Verizon over my vociferous objections, and has enjoyed a cheaper rate and suffered expensive outage due to their incompetence.

So, if anyone has learned anything, ALWAYS check the obvious.

Rcaman
Posted By: tjsr Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/30/16 08:02 PM
All of the cards came installed when we got the unit. Guess from
now on we pull all of the cards and check things out.
Live and learn.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: ESI 200 CS Noise Problems - 08/30/16 08:16 PM
Yep. That's why this forum is here. I'm glad your problem is solved.

Rcaman
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help