atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Derrick New Website. - 02/12/19 04:28 PM
He guys, can I get your opinion of a business website I just built;

Here is the original one the customer has:

The Water Clinic

Here is the one I built: The Water Clinic New Site

It has not gone live yet, so it requires the password "clear" to view it.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: New Website. - 02/12/19 05:23 PM
On the Contact page (and others) the letter f links to Facebook, however the image f appears as a random letter, perhap change it to a Facebook button?

I like the white backgroud as it leans to the image of something pure as opposed to pages with a light yellow background Ewe, is that toilet water!

The image on the Review page (the review itself) really takes away from the thought of clean and pure. The image background looks like grey water and the typescript looks clogged. Rather than the actual letter perhaps use the actual veribage but on a white background with clean typescript with a black square to similate a letter?
Posted By: Derrick Re: New Website. - 02/12/19 06:12 PM
The review letter, I agree

I will either OCR it or just type it myself, its from a bad looking pdf file. I also don't like the default facebook button, so I will change that as well.

Thanks Dean.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: New Website. - 02/12/19 08:57 PM
Just here to criticize...er, I mean help.

Nice job. I quickly checked most of the links and spelling but only casually. Much better than the original site.

I forgot to ask...Are they no longer interested in Angie's List?
Posted By: Derrick Re: New Website. - 02/12/19 10:58 PM
They didn't mention it, and that button is there to leave a review I guess, not read them. I was advised by an expert to not allow any comments by customers on the new site, just asking for more trouble than good. If they want to say something go to the contact page or make a phone call.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: New Website. - 02/13/19 12:07 AM
I agree. If someone want to leave a review make 'em work for it.
Posted By: Derrick Re: New Website. - 02/13/19 05:10 PM
I retyped the review letter, and fleshed out the Facebook F, as well as a couple of other things. Follow up critique is most welcome!
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: New Website. - 02/13/19 05:19 PM
Image of Rottten Egg Smell...difficult reading the word "water" is it possible to shift the image to prevent black type on black background or change the image to color and use a light yellow...as in the color of rotten egg yoke?

It's a petty issue I know.

I can check the pages out this evening if you want more nit-picking.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: New Website. - 02/14/19 12:38 AM
With the buttons

• Request a free quote
  • Facebook
  • My account

you have the 'Request' and 'My Account' with blue buttons but Facebook as a white f in a black box.

Wouldn't using this icon better match your existing theme?

Posted By: Derrick Re: New Website. - 02/14/19 04:55 AM
It would, and I might try to use it. Squarespace auto links their websites to a Facebook business page, and sticks that F on the footer with some choices as to how it looks, but no colors. Not that I can find anyway. I gave the rotten egg picture a bit of a yellow tint.

I found the option to round the button or square it and make it "normal" color. I added a picture of their top of the line water softening system as well, too fill a hole on a page.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: New Website. - 02/14/19 04:47 PM
Looks better Derrick.

The matching color base is more appealing to the eye and more like all the other Facebook button you see on every other webpage. 👍🏻

Posted By: Derrick Re: New Website. - 02/14/19 05:30 PM
Now if I could just get the owner of the business to not convince himself that he needs a ton of verbage on the site. He doesn't seem to understand that 65 percent of website viewing is on a phone or tablet not a pc and regardless of what device is being used, people don't care to read a lot don't want a written sermon, they just want to see and easily navigate the site. Some folks can't get away from the portrait aspect page with a lot of links, buttons and tabs. Please. This new site is composed of ten pages, eight are chained together (and I can easily change the order) by the act of scrolling, not any kind of menu button or tab. The point is that websites are becomming more like a commercial, the viewer doesn't get to choose what happens or what they see only if they want to see it, so if you want to keep em for the whole minute it better get their attention in the first ten seconds. Websites, even with some links, are becoming more and more of a commercial or billboard on the info highway. This is my rant for today.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: New Website. - 02/14/19 07:03 PM
Have your customer access the old site using their cellphone.

If that doesn't convince them take them out for coffee at your local busy coffeeshop and show them all the prople who are working with smart phones and are not bringing in their towers and monitors.

My three favorite website that use Squarespace are:

Thomas Heaton
Brendan van Son
Greg Snell

Simple clean and you don't have to scroll for five minutes to finish the page.

I just had a thought that might help the first page. What if you grouped the images into a slide show (or two) that way the foot print is only the side of one image?

Is it possible to LOCK the "Home-Contact-FAQ-Review" so it doesn't disappear while scrolling? Ctrl+Home is too hard for most people to remember.
Posted By: Derrick Re: New Website. - 02/16/19 01:17 AM
There is a floating "top" button down in the right corner. It appears on every page. The owner approved of the site today and wants me to build another one as well. We shortened the site, removed the whole about us page, and changed the order of others, too many scrolls with that long business paragraph. Oh by the way, I read some internet advertising statistics yesterday, and one of the things said was 'you have three seconds to grab their attention or they move on to some other site"
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: New Website. - 02/16/19 04:08 PM
I like the review page much better. Nice and Clean...just like pure water.

Have you ever seen the movie Amadeus? A cluttered page can be like:

MOZART: "So then you like it? You really like it, Your Majesty?"

EMPEROR: "Of course I do. It's very good. Of course now and then - just now and then - it gets a touch elaborate."

MOZART: "What do you mean, Sire?"

EMPEROR: "Well, I mean occasionally it seems to have, how shall one say? [he stops in difficulty; turning to Orsini-Rosenberg] How shall one say, Director?"

ORSINI-ROSENBERG: "Too many notes, Your Majesty?"

EMPEROR: "Exactly. Very well put. Too many notes."

Good luck with your next endevour. You know where to get Constructive Criticism.
Posted By: Derrick Re: New Website. - 02/16/19 06:11 PM
Thanks Dean, great analogy.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help