atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: compufreak Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/10/05 09:48 PM
Hi! I was just wondering if anyone would care to give me a brief description of what the Iwatsu Omega IV 616 is and can do. As of now, I don't know anything about these systems, but I would like to work with them for a hobby. Thanks!
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/11/05 05:20 PM
6 central office lines from your provider. 16 digital sets. LOts of features. No voicemail. I have probably 30 systems installed in 1983-1985 still in service and working great. Most common complaint was the buttons were small and men with big hands and ladies with long finger nails found them cumbersome. Or was it big men with long finger nails...nevermind.

------------------
[Linked Image from commserveinc.com]

Business Phone Systems
Posted By: compufreak Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/11/05 08:13 PM
So then it's like a telephone/intercom system? Is it pretty hard to program? Can phones other than the 'satellite' phones be connected to the main unit and still function? Finally, a friend told me that since it's an off-brand, it probably won't work the best. What's your take on this?

Thanks a million!

[This message has been edited by compufreak (edited July 11, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by compufreak (edited July 11, 2005).]
Posted By: XConnect Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/12/05 06:40 AM
Having been around for 30 years, Iwatsu is definately not an "off" brand....
Posted By: compufreak Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/15/05 03:14 PM
I have three questions. How hard are these things to program? How does a person program the system? Finally, can phones other than the satellites be tied to the system?
Posted By: XConnect Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/18/05 01:10 PM
1. Just like anything else, not hard if you know what you are doing.

2. Through the 1st port, & with a DSS console.

3. No, and those are called extensions, not satellites. The system uses proprietary phones which are the only ones that will work.
Posted By: compufreak Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/18/05 07:53 PM
Thank you for all of your help. The answer to my last question has made me think of another. Does each Omega system come equipped with a DSS console? Would that be built into the main extension? Thanks again!
Posted By: XConnect Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/19/05 01:51 PM
No

No

It is something that you have to purchase.
Posted By: compufreak Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/23/05 10:14 AM
Hi! I was just wondering if anyone can help me out with another question. Where can I find online manuals for this telephone system and/or the hard copies of volumes 1 & 2 installation and programming. I have found the latter two already, but for like $100 each. I would prefer to get them for free. Thanks!
Posted By: compufreak Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/27/05 10:23 PM
Hi! I just thought I would let everyone know that I am getting the Iwatsu Omega IV 616 system for $35. This seems to be a good deal, because it includes about a dozen phones. It does not, however, appear to include the two manuals. I may need help programming, but I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!
Posted By: Phone_girl_NE Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/28/05 03:48 AM
One thing to keep in mind. Each extension has a fuse on the station card, so be very carefull not to short out the wiring. Seems like if you look at them wrong, they blow [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com] The DSS for the system is not a seprate item, but built into some of the phone models.
Posted By: rich30529 Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/28/05 04:29 AM
Thats right.I have blown fuses by simply plugging in a phone with the handset off hook.I havent seen one of these in years,and cant say that I miss them.
Posted By: compufreak Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/28/05 03:34 PM
Once they burn out, are these fuses pretty hard to find and replace?

Thanks!
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/28/05 05:15 PM
They are standard buss type glass fuses found at any electrical supply/radio shack/auto parts store.

------------------
[Linked Image from commserveinc.com]

Business Phone Systems
Posted By: compufreak Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/30/05 07:39 PM
Just curious, can any of the programming be done through Windows like on some of the other systems?

I'm going to pick up the system on Mon.!!

Thanks again.
Posted By: Phone_girl_NE Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/30/05 08:06 PM
All programming is done at station 20, first station. I'd have to look and see if I still have a manual around. Been years since programming one. I know if I was face to face with it I could work my way through it. You do need a LCD display phone to program. Let me know if I can be of more help.

Stephani
Posted By: compufreak Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 07/30/05 11:17 PM
Yes, where do you think I can find a manual? I've checked online, but they're so darn spendy. This is just going to be a hobby, so I don't think I'll put any major amount of money into it. Nevertheless, I'd still like to fully exploit the potentials of this system. To do so, I'll probably need one. Thanks again!!
Posted By: compufreak Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 08/01/05 12:09 PM
Hi everyone!

I just picked up the system today. Right now I don't know how to hook it up, so I haven't messed with it. I did, however, remove the cover. It appears to have two long ports that are probably for the extensions, but I did not receive the equipment that hooks up to these for the extensions. There are also a total of 7 RJ-11(?) ports, including the ext. 20. Just a bit ago I tried out ext. 20. From what I have been able to try, the system seems to be pretty cool. Too bad I'll have to do more work to find those other parts. Thanks again!

P.S. No manuals, other than the User's Guide came with it, so I'm still looking for the installation and programming ones. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by compufreak (edited August 01, 2005).]
Posted By: Phone_girl_NE Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 08/01/05 08:12 PM
If memory serves me right, the punch down blocks skip the first pair (wh-bl) wh-or wh-gn are station 20, skip a pair, (wh-bn) next 2 pairs are station 21 skip a pair, ect. You lay your station cables down green red black yellow in that order.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Steph
Posted By: compufreak Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 08/03/05 07:15 AM
Hi! I guess that the punch down block was not removed from the building along with the rest of the system, which means I don't have one. Any idea what I should do now? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by compufreak (edited August 03, 2005).]
Posted By: Jadix Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 08/03/05 08:17 AM
YIKES!!
Posted By: compufreak Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 08/03/05 09:51 AM
I know. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com] As of now I'm trying to contact the building it was removed from. Any idea where I can get one? Are they just a standard punch down block? Maybe I should call my local phone company and see what they have to say. Thanks!
Posted By: Phone_girl_NE Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 08/03/05 08:50 PM
Standard punch down block with 25 pair amp connector, see my post above.

I really do not mean any disrespect but you should have found a newer system that is easier to get documentation and does not have those stupid fuses. I (like alot of other techs) have not worked on one for years. This is the same support story for most older systems. I had a customer that picked up an old NEC, sorry can not remember the make now, but even profesional tech support companies that charge to provide support did not have anyone anymore that worked on them. Same goes for the old analog Mitel.
I truely wish you luck.

Stephanie
Posted By: Z-man Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 08/03/05 11:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with the system? Phone systems aren't something one generally "plays" with. They serve a business purpose. If you are buying this for your business, why are you taking a chance buying equipment you don't know anything about or have no idea how to or what is needed to install it and make it work right? I am not being critical, I just question your desire to save a few bucks vs. paying for the reliabilty and to have something work correctly.

ps-please fill out your profile.

[This message has been edited by Z-man (edited August 03, 2005).]
Posted By: compufreak Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 08/04/05 11:43 AM
Hi!

Actually, this is just a hobby--it's not for a business or anything like that. I enjoy networking and communcation type things, so I wish to learn more about these systems. This system was very cheap (under $40), so I figured it was worth a try.

Anyways, I just visited a local High School today, and I picked up two RJ-21 ends that will fit onto the system board for the extension phones.

The wiring on the ends, however, clearly needs to be redone. I was just wondering, what would the wiring look like on those? Would that just be the same as what was posted earlier?

Also, how do I use the secondary features from an extension that isn't a screen phone? For instance, how would I page or transfer a call?

Finally, would somebody be willing to e-mail me the programming password?

Thank you so much!

[This message has been edited by compufreak (edited August 04, 2005).]
Posted By: compufreak Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 08/04/05 10:49 PM
Hi everyone!

I've just figured out how to do the wiring. By placing the wires in this order: Red, Green, Black, Yellow, I was able to make the phones communicate!

Unfortunately, after splicing the outgoing wires, I have a click that comes in instead. I inspected all of the wires and splices, but I can't find the problem. It doesn't show up when I connect a phone right by the PBX (less wires to go through). I think this is probably something with my wiring. Any ideas?

Answers to this question and the others would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by compufreak (edited August 05, 2005).]
Posted By: compufreak Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 08/08/05 07:58 PM
I just thought I would let everyone know that I have obtained a punch-down block, and am now in the process of connecting the stations together.
Posted By: Hal Re: Iwatsu Omega IV 616 - 11/06/05 08:14 AM
I have moved a 616 to another location. It is hooked up and all works except I cannot enter the programming mode from extension 20. It was all working before the move. I cannot find the installation manual, just the owners manual. Any ideas? Thanks
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help