atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: loched Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/14/06 06:36 PM
Hello all, I am installing my EZ-1 in a new location. When I took it down from my old office, I was in a rush and forgot to mark down the way extensions are punched down onto the block. I know I need 4 wires for each extensions but don't know which wires punch down where. Can someone please help?
Posted By: pvj Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/14/06 10:44 PM
Wow an EZ-1!
Stations start at extension 31 on w/bl w/o pairs and go from there every 2 pairs.
Posted By: loched Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/15/06 08:37 PM
Thanks for responding pvj. I'm afraid I'm a bit lost on the w/bl w/o. Is that white/blue and white/orange?
I took my phone apart and see that the jack is wired with the usual red/green/yellow/black. How do they correspond to the scheme you have?
My punch down block has 50 positions, corresponding to the 25+25 connections on the plug that attaches the punch down block to the EZ-1. Do I skip the first two positions and start punching down on the third?
I found a cover for the punch down block and there seems to be a sticker that says the first two wires for an extension is tip and ring, the next two seem to say DA and DB. Does that make sense to you?
Is there a schematic somewhere I can get? Do the install manuals available for sale include what I need?
I'm sorry but am a bit desperate as I need to get these phones working soon. Thank you for any help you can give.
Posted By: pvj Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/16/06 07:31 AM
Yes the white/blue,white orange pairs are the first extension 31.
On your jack
White/ blue goes to green
blue/ white to red
white/orange goes to black
orange/white goes to yellow
The first pair is tip and ring the second pair is the data to the phone.
If you are going to be programming the system then a manual is highly recommended and should give you everything that you need.
This should be a system 36 which programs from extension 32.There is a jack on the bottom of the ksu and a programming switch beside it to put the system into programming mode.
Posted By: loched Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/16/06 07:45 AM
Thank pvj. That helps a lot. I actually have the programming manual. It does not contain any install info tho.
I'm still foggy about where to start punching down. Should I start at the top or skip two positions and start there? I wonder if there's an install manual available.
There is a jack and a prog switch on the bottom of my ksu.
Posted By: loched Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/16/06 07:48 AM
I know it's an old system, but it works and I hate to throw it out just cause it's old. When I got it 10 years ago, it was already old, so it must be quite an antique!
Posted By: RCA Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/16/06 07:58 AM
Start at the top on the WHITE/BLUE as PVJ has said.
Posted By: loched Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/16/06 08:17 AM
Thanks for your help pvj and RCA. :bow:
Posted By: loched Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/24/06 11:14 AM
Hi Guys,
I finally got a picture of the punch down block I'm working with. See https://hankloch.com/images/img_1994.jpg
Using the info you guys gave me, the picture shows I've punched down ext 39, 41,42 and 43. For some reason, 31 and 32 do not work.
Question now is, where and how do I punch down the paging speaker/system? help
Posted By: pvj Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/24/06 02:22 PM
The external paging output should be on the last pair violet/slate,slate/violet pair.
Extension 32 the programming extension should have a jack on the ksu motherboard to plug directly into.The first 4 extensions are built in to the motherboard and if extension 32 doesn't work then you won't be able to do any programming.
Posted By: loched Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/26/06 10:47 PM
Thanks pvj, but can you tell me on my picture, which punch down is for the paging system? The wires on the back of the block are just blue and white.
32 not working isn't going to be too bad as the programming hasn't changed on the EZ-1, and I don't need it to be any different. Curious tho, there is no ext32 jack on the ksu. Along the bottom are just the co jacks on the left and one co jack on the right side.
Posted By: pvj Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/27/06 11:47 AM
I can't see the punchdown block good enough to tell you.But there should be a 25 pair amphenol cable from the ksu motherboard right?The external paging is the last pair which should be Violet/Slate Slate/Violet like I said.

I'm sure there is a port to plug in to extension 32 on the ksu is it on the side?Its been a while since I have had to play with a 36.
Posted By: telemarv Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/28/06 05:14 AM
If ext 32 doesn't work, the program switch might be in the program position.
Posted By: loched Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/29/06 07:36 AM
telemarv, you were right on. The switch prevented 32 to work. I now have 31-38 hooked up and getting tone from the ksu. Thanks.
pvj, here's the back of my punch down block https://hankloch.com/images/back%20of%20punch%20down%20block.jpg
and a close up https://hankloch.com/images/close%20up%20of%20amphenol.jpg
From the left, its the third connector the EZ-1 connects to. As you can see, the wires are all blue or white! In this pic https://hankloch.com/images/close%20up%20of%20lower%20block.jpg
the last two with the jumpers in the lower left corner of the block I think are the ones you said were the paging connections, is that right? They were the last two wires on the top of the amphenol. I also need the connections for the ringer. Where do i punch down for the ringer? The one I have at the new location is a Bogen NR100. It has a tel ring terminal that's marked T and R (for tip and ring?) Can you guys help with this? Thanks.
Posted By: pvj Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 07/29/06 09:04 PM
You can have ring over page,just set it up in programming.The Bogen ringer you have sounds to me like it would connect directly to a co line.
You have a mdf panel not a regular punch down block.The page output should be on the same amphenol that ext.31 pins from just at the other end of it,last pair.
Posted By: loched Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 08/01/06 08:01 AM
pvj,
Can you tell me the difference between my mdf and a regular punch down block? Would I be better off getting a punch down block?
The Bogen also has a contact ring with terminals marked A and B, which I am told is what was connected before to ring the phones. When I punch down the last pair and hook it up to this terminal, the horn stays on the moment I connect the line.
My programming manual has Table SA11 external paging with CO ringing-the only reference to co ringing, and its set to ring all my CO's. Why does the horn stay on when the CO is not even ringing?
Posted By: pvj Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 08/01/06 12:37 PM
By a regular punch down block I mean the Amphenol that attaches to the ksu motherboard would usually terminate on a 66 block or in Canada a Bix.You can certainly use what you have I'm not sure who made it.I thought I had a 36 cabinet around here but I don't.

The horn starts ringing because you are hooking it up to the last pair which is an audio output pair.Connecting it to your A and B terminals and they see the "short" and the horn sounds.
Do you have any analog cards in the system?Or a relay card I believe was also available its been a long time with the System 36.Maybe if you can take and post a picture of the ksu and I can see what cards you have installed.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 08/01/06 01:24 PM
The Executone MDF panel was custom-made by Siemon Company for use with Executone systems. There's nothing particularly fancy about them; just a more convenient way to use double-ended cables for the installation. Electrically, all pairs from the 25 pair cables land directly on the clips of the 66 block. You can use either their MDF panel or a traditional block and still accomplish the same thing.

As for the "all pairs are white and blue" question, it really doesn't matter. This was a factory assembly and as long as the input and output was the same, there was really no significance to the wire colors.
Posted By: loched Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 08/02/06 07:35 AM
Thanks guys, I'll post a pic of the ksu by Friday. pvj, if the last pair is an sudio pair, maybe I can connect it to the Amp input or the BGM source terminals on the Bogen NR100. The EZ-1 has an input for a radio or some other music source and is switched by *1 on any phone. Will that ring the phones too?
Posted By: loched Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 08/04/06 08:43 PM
Finally completed the hardware install today. Thanks again for all your help pvj, RCA, telemarv, ev607797. Pic of KSu is at https://hankloch.com/images/img_2002.jpg
Just one last question. Can the ring tone be changed?
Posted By: pvj Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 08/05/06 07:59 AM
No the freight train ringing sound cannot be changed.This is an old system probably dates back to around 87 or so and was fairly advanced in features for its time.
Posted By: loched Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 08/05/06 06:25 PM
Thanks pvj. Couldn't have done it without you. :bow:
Posted By: pvj Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 08/05/06 10:02 PM
You're welcome.Thanks for the pic I see its loaded out at 6X12.Gotta love that fluorescent display smile
So you have everything hooked up and working ok?
Posted By: loched Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 08/08/06 06:39 AM
pvj, got everything hooked up. Except. co 1 and 2 do not work, which is fine as 3 to 6 does and I have 4 lines.
I have my extensions start at 31 and goes to 37. For some reason, even tho I programmed key 1,3,5 and 7 to access my co lines on all my 26 key phones identically, ext 34 and 35 is using 1,2,3 and 7 instead of what the other extensions use. I thought it might be because I had 14 key phones there at one time, but I didn't see how the ksu might be programmed for type of phone, so that can't be it. I went into those specific extensions to check the programming, and they are correct, but it doesn't fix it. Any ideas?
Everyone is complaining about the "foghorn" ringer. There's no way I can fix that huh? I like it personally.
Posted By: pvj Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 08/08/06 08:17 PM
There are 2 pots I believe that are set to deliver all the tones in the system.You can "play" with them but it will affect all the tones (busy,ringing reorder,dial tone).Don't know that I would suggest it but it can be done somewhat.It is not meant to be though.Hmm Co 1 and 2 are built into the motherbaord but at least you do have the extra cards installed.
As for the keys programming are you sure you don't have duplicate keys on the sets in question?
Posted By: loched Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 08/08/06 10:55 PM
I'd like to try these pots. Can you tell me approximate whereabouts on the mobo? Maybe use my pic to guide me?

How do you mean "duplicate keys"? Are you saying key 5 on ext 34 & 35 might already be programmed for something else?
Posted By: barster Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 08/08/06 11:28 PM
loched ...I'd toss that system... if you want something inexpensive and want to stick with Executone get a IDS-42..you can find a whole IDS-42 system on ebay for under a $100...if you wait for a week or so. The glut of these where put out in the 90's.. pretty reliable.

P.S. I was at a customer a while back who had a EZ-1, he had two drawers full of broken/malfunctioning EZ-1 phones. That one you have has to be on the brink of retirement.
Posted By: paul144 Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 08/09/06 11:04 AM
Originally posted by barster:
loched ...I'd toss that system... if you want something inexpensive and want to stick with Executone get a IDS-42..you can find a whole IDS-42 system on ebay for under a $100...if you wait for a week or so. The glut of these where put out in the 90's.. pretty reliable.

P.S. I was at a customer a while back who had a EZ-1, he had two drawers full of broken/malfunctioning EZ-1 phones. That one you have has to be on the brink of retirement.
I disagree.
The Isoetec analog 14 key, 26 key, and 25 key phones are some of the most durable phones to be made in the last 20 years. Yes, after 2 decades in service, some of them probably have button problems, but those are easily fixed.
Yes, it is an old system, but if it fulfills the needs, why replace it?
I would bet that, even at 20 years old, that system could very well outlast a lot of brand new systems being made today.
Posted By: Telephonyman Re: Help with Isoetec EZ-1 install - 08/11/06 10:32 AM
I do have to agree with Paul, installed & serviced hundreds in the 80-90's in the south and they could take the heat, lightning and abuse. Base cords and keys were the only thing needing replaced. I still have a ton of the product if anyone is looking for some, even NEW phones.
They don't make them to last these days.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help