atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: barster External modem hookup - 08/20/11 05:45 PM
Anybody try hooking up an external modem for remote programming to an IDS? (when the built in modem's shot)
I'm going to give it a shot once I get hold of db25 to db25 cable ...plug a SLI port into a US robotics modem ..etc.

Anybody tried this before? Need to modify pinout on D25 to D25 cable?
Posted By: mforrence Re: External modem hookup - 08/21/11 01:04 PM
I've done this - but it has been YEARS. You must configure modem to auto answer. Standard 25 to 25 cable may work fine. If you don't use hardware flow control, you can use pins 2, 3 & 7 - flip 2 & 3 between the ends. If unhappy, you can strap 4 & 5 as well as 6, 8 & 20 on both ends. But I don't think that you'll need to. If it were me, I'd just replace the internal modem. You can probably buy one for fifty bucks and install will take less than two minutes. Good luck.
Posted By: barster Re: External modem hookup - 08/21/11 01:25 PM
Thanks for the info Mike...
I dug up a cable so will be giving that a shot soon.

I had contacted an Executone repair/reseller about replacing the built-in modem on a 42 a while back and they didn't know where/which part the modem was.

Do you have the part numbers for a 42 and a 108?
Also a description of modem circuit/location would help..if possible.

Thanks!
Posted By: mforrence Re: External modem hookup - 08/21/11 02:37 PM
The 42 and 84 have a built-in 300 baud (non-replacable) and 1200 baud mezz add-on board that is part #22370. The modems on larger systems were mezz on VCM until the last version that had it built-in.
Mike
Posted By: barster Re: External modem hookup - 08/21/11 03:17 PM
Thanks again Mike.

I don't think you were implying this..but just to state for anybody reading this... I know on the 42/84's that if the modems go bad on those that adding the 1200 baud modem wont correct it.. being that it still utilizes the same path as the now bad 300b built in modem.

I never "took note" of the "mezzed" modem's on the 108's...assuming they were built in as well. I'll check that out when I "visit" this one again... still going to give the external a whirl being a got a bag full of them for free smile
Posted By: nonameyet Re: External modem hookup - 08/21/11 05:28 PM
Mezz ? What is that? Never heard of the term.
Posted By: barster Re: External modem hookup - 08/21/11 06:04 PM
I had to look that one up too Brian...

I use the term "piggy-back" card...

From wikipedia: "A mezzanine connector connects two parallel printed circuit boards in a stacking configuration."
Posted By: mforrence Re: External modem hookup - 08/22/11 03:34 AM
For years and years they were called "daughterboards" - but that term is apparently no longer politically correct. Hence Mezzanine board aka mezz came into being.
Posted By: nonameyet Re: External modem hookup - 08/22/11 05:36 PM
Since when could we not use the term "daughterboards" :confused: I'm getting too Old for this Sh&T :p
Posted By: Anonymous Re: External modem hookup - 08/30/11 05:59 AM
If you hook a SLT port to a modem you will have to put it in a hunt group and have the customer transfer the calls to the hunt group, other wise the call won't be connected to the modem
Posted By: MnDave Re: External modem hookup - 09/01/11 09:58 AM
If you hook a SLT port to a modem you will have to put it in a hunt group and have the customer transfer the calls to the hunt group, other wise the call won't be connected to the modem
Wouldn't programming the SLA for Preferred Line Answer suffice? Either that, or just installing an A/B switch on a CO line?
Posted By: mforrence Re: External modem hookup - 09/01/11 05:15 PM
What happens is that, if the modem answers on the first ring, it will have answered the intercom portion of the transferred call. With IDS you need to then cycle the hookswitch to connect to the CO call. With hunt group the the intercom portion is out of the picture so the modem will always be connected to the CO on answer.
Mike
Posted By: MnDave Re: External modem hookup - 09/01/11 05:57 PM
Thank you for the explanation!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: External modem hookup - 09/07/11 05:58 AM
Back in the day we programed it like that so the VMS could transfer you to a spare CO port programed to be answered by the system modem. If a customer had Auto Attn you PC would time out before you could be transfered to a live body and then tell them to transfer you to the modem.
Posted By: test163 Re: External modem hookup - 11/21/11 05:41 PM
I have also hooked a serial to LAN adapter up to the customers LAN, program an IP address on it and program through the network, worked like a gem.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help