atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: MVSpeed VX3 Ram help - 11/10/11 09:29 AM
I have a 20 port VX3 It has a socket 3 on the Processor. This has pretty much ran trouble free for 15+ years. Two weeks ago it locked up (stopped processing) Infostar was flashing but bar wasn't scrolling. Found Processor fan was locked up tight. I replaced the fan with a EVMC fan. A perfect fit. Two days later it was locked up again. Installed Lube on heat sink. Ran for four days. then stopped processing. Changed power sources from BBU to Dedicated Isolated plug in. Still same issue. Thinking RAM might be the issue I installed a chip from an old VX2 it said not enough memory, I installed another, said same thing. Installed them togather and still said the same thing added the origional as a third and it is running. Based on this I suspect it might be 1024?? maybe the others were 256's ????/? Any Ideas if I'm on the right track and where I can get some 72 pin ran if I am
Thanks
Randy
Posted By: MVSpeed Re: VX3 Ram help - 11/10/11 02:07 PM
Already died again, found some ram on old voice mail cards. That seemed to bring it back, ran scan disk, surface scan, defrag. now just a waiting game to see what happens later today tomorrow..... still open to suggestions
Posted By: mc601 Re: VX3 Ram help - 11/12/11 05:01 PM
Randy is there anything on screen when it locks or has the screen saver already kicked in? I would think if you had a RAM issue it would show up on boot up. Does the system do a lot of out dials to cells? There was a issue where the out dial queue would get full and cause system to lock. Or it could just be locking on a corrupt BTR file but if the screen saver has kicked in you will not be able to see that unless it locks on same file during boot up.
Posted By: mforrence Re: VX3 Ram help - 11/14/11 03:42 AM
If memory serves, you can disable the screen saver so that a .btr error will show. I will say that, over the years, we've had WAY more .btr file errors vs RAM errors...
Mike
Posted By: MVSpeed Re: VX3 Ram help - 11/14/11 01:14 PM
mc601 yea the Infostar is flashing the bar is not moving accross the name like it usually does. The number lock key doesn't turn the light on on the keyboard, actually no keyboard response at all. We do not dial out at all. 20 active ports and at 8 and 3 you might see 10 or 12 in use at one time for a short period when school is starting and ending.
I ran scan disk surface scan and defrag had absolutly no errors. I'm running now and have been up for 4 days with the repalced ram.
mforrence
If it stops again how do I disable the screen saver and how do I look for the btr error? I can't get it to do anything without hitting trhe reset then it boots up and works perfect.

Appreciate both of you BIG TIME!
Randy
Posted By: mforrence Re: VX3 Ram help - 11/14/11 03:44 PM
Rattle thru the menus and you'll find disable screen saver. Maybe B screen. When disabled, if you have a .btr error, it will show up on the middle of the screen.
Mike
Posted By: MVSpeed Re: VX3 Ram help - 11/14/11 03:47 PM
Thanks !!!
Posted By: nonameyet Re: VX3 Ram help - 11/14/11 03:58 PM
didn't F6 do something? Trying to ' visualize '...
Posted By: jjmaly Re: VX3 Ram help - 11/14/11 04:14 PM
Ram will do the trick.
We have many mother boards failing as well.
Cooling fans burn out the CPU and new problems start.
Start looking for new mother board, if you can't find one let me know.
I have few of these running out there.
Replacing the drive and doing a backup is a must.
We have Flash Drives for the voicemails. so let me know if I can help you with something.
Posted By: nonameyet Re: VX3 Ram help - 11/14/11 04:31 PM
jjmaly, your Box is full.
Posted By: MVSpeed Re: VX3 Ram help - 11/21/11 09:25 AM
jjmaly
Thanks for the responce, Today it was dead again..... ran a while thuis time. I did what mforennce suggested and shut off the screen saver this morning. An hour later it's locked up again. Port 17 was the only port showing usage it was playing name from mailbox 3547.... thinking maybe corruption in one or the other (hadn't re-read this post and saw your reply) I duplicated ti with playing name and greeting for mailbox 3547 in port 17 and it worked perfect..... so far. new cooling fan on CPU, heat sink lube (whatever the tech name is for the lube to disapate head from processor) Used RAM from a vx3 card used 2 sticks sticks that look the same from the same maodel number card. Power supply fan is running strong, box is cool inside and you can touch the fins on the heat sink of the processor and they are not hot.
Looking forward to your thoughts
Randy
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help