atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: OLD TECH QOS monitoring on a voip system - 10/02/08 09:50 AM
Can anyone tell me of a cheap and effective way, to test a voip system for QOS or troubleshoot for audio problems.

Got some issues at a customer site. Tried all the ip echo settings on the equipment. It has helped some, not completely. Caller will get one audio and clipping audio.

I tried eitherreal and wirer shark. Didn'tshow or help.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Posted By: rockmodule Re: QOS monitoring on a voip system - 10/02/08 10:06 AM
It may be an impedance mismatch between the phone and SLIC circuit.

An easy way to verify this is to parallel a buttset with the station phone, go off hook with station phone, when echo is observed, go off hook with the buttset. If the echo disappears, impedance mismatch is the culprit. Mr. Sandman make a device call the Echo Stopper, and an excellent solution for the problem.
Hope this helps!
Posted By: gcave Re: QOS monitoring on a voip system - 10/05/08 04:30 PM
1) What type of QoS mechanism is currently deployed?
2) Do you have seperate VLANs for voice and data?
3) What type of WAN circuit are you using?
4) What codec are you using?
Posted By: Kumba Re: QOS monitoring on a voip system - 10/06/08 03:42 PM
PingPlotter will let you traverse the network and give you VoIP relative feedback (jitter, packet loss over time, etc).

The only other thing is to simulate an actual VoIP connection with something like Bing or SIPp.
Posted By: OLD TECH Re: QOS monitoring on a voip system - 10/07/08 07:16 PM
I found the sipp program. I will give it a try. I can't find any reference to bing, except for crosby. What is bing.

Thnaks,
Posted By: Kumba Re: QOS monitoring on a voip system - 10/07/08 07:24 PM
Yeah, it's a little known utility.

Here's a web-page for it: https://nixbit.com/cat/system/networking/bing/

Running SIPp and PingPlotter simultaneously will yield good empirical results as well.
Posted By: Derrick Re: QOS monitoring on a voip system - 11/15/08 06:49 AM
Public or private WAN? or LAN voip? There is no QOS on a public WAN. If Lan then what kind of switches are you using? What kind of data apps are using the LAN? Many, many factors to consider.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help