atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: tony3866 Voip Phones on Fios - 01/08/10 06:01 AM
Changing my service from Cable to Fios finally. Here's my question for people that have fios already. Does the public IP Address Change often. I have a VPN to my office and when I was on DSL it would change every day.

I can change the settings in my ip phones to get off the VPN but I also do web programming and I know Port 80 is not open at my office side.

Any info would be helpful
Posted By: SSPhone Re: Voip Phones on Fios - 01/08/10 06:46 AM
Order Static IP's it can't be that much more. A block of 5 here is maybe $10 a month?
Posted By: Silversam Re: Voip Phones on Fios - 01/08/10 07:09 AM
I've got FIOS and while I don't know - I'll check over the next few days.

Sam
Posted By: tony3866 Re: Voip Phones on Fios - 01/08/10 07:33 AM
Thanks Sam, Please get back to me.

Thanks Steve but it looks like they want almost 40.00 extra a month for a static IP. They said I had to change to business class. Didn't really talk to the Fios agent to much about. For 10 bucks I would in a heart beat.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Voip Phones on Fios - 01/08/10 03:36 PM
Tony -

I got the IP address now. I'll check it twice a day for the next few days and let you know.

Sam
Posted By: tony3866 Re: Voip Phones on Fios - 01/08/10 05:13 PM
TY, I've been on Fios all day and it the best thing since sliced bread. It's like this.

Remember dial-up, and then you got cable modem. It's like that step from dial-up to cable modem. Now it's cable modem to FIOS.

I'm getting 23 Meg down and 13 up. So glad it came available. Hope the IP doesn't change.
Posted By: Kumba Re: Voip Phones on Fios - 01/08/10 06:50 PM
I would have gotten/tried fios in my area if it was available but it wasn't. Very interested to see how well it works. Maybe in a year or two it will be available here. In the meantime we have dedicated 5-mb fiber pulled into the business.
Posted By: Avalon Re: Voip Phones on Fios - 01/08/10 08:59 PM
have a bunch of customers with hosted voip running on Fios. The fios they put into a business is light years (no pun ) ahead of cable modem in my area, as discussed on here a million times before, it not just fios having greater bandwidth but that its latency is way more reliable than cable.
Posted By: tampasteve Re: Voip Phones on Fios - 01/09/10 09:03 AM
Yep, over here we switched from cable to FIOS in the office. We are saving money and are getting way faster and better service.

I also have FIOS at home for TV and internet. I love it, it really is great service. I have had satellite, cable, and just antenna and FIOS is by far the best service. In three years it has only been down once, and after a router reset all was good.

Steve
Posted By: Avalon Re: Voip Phones on Fios - 01/09/10 09:44 AM
at the end of the day, the fios unit they install in your comms room looks every bit "carrier class" VZ have effectively pulled their backbone into your business.

compare that to running your business voice & data thru a little Motorola box hooked up to coax from basically a TV company that now pretends to be a "Carrier"
Posted By: tony3866 Re: Voip Phones on Fios - 01/09/10 01:12 PM
I think I'm good. VPN has not gone down and looks like the IP address will not change to often.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Voip Phones on Fios - 01/09/10 05:52 PM
So far the address has not changed. I think you're good.

Sam
Posted By: Ham Re: Voip Phones on Fios - 04/30/10 02:25 PM
I know this is an old post but I love the FIOS as well, It handles Dynamic DNS Routing so if you didnt want a Static IP and al kinds of other PROs,
but the one problem we had with one install, and I hope someone here could shed some light as far as fixing it.
we got a static IP address bridged to our router a Edgemarc 4500 had a VPN setup and fired up a couple of phones and everything was fine, the problem was 2 days later the customer went away and came back 3 weeks later and all of his DVR Cable boxes had nothing recorded, The set top boxes actually get an IP address from the Fios Router and gives you your TV schedule, TV worked fine but because we used another router it disabled that feature. Later on they came up with a NAT setup on the SV8100 but we still come into thos e issues everyonce and a while, just curious if any body had that same issue?
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help