atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: GreggP VOIP Channels, incoming numbers Asterix - 12/28/11 01:51 PM
Hi everyone

I have an 1A2 ITT 501 ksu with 5 line cards

I have a POTS landline

I have an openvox 4 line FXS card (digium clone)

spare computer with an asterix now DVD.

I need a trunk provider and CallCentric seems good.

The trouble is, an Incoming phone number comes with 3 channels. Does that mean I can accept 3 simultaneous calls at a time? Should I suppose that Asterix can/will rotate over in use FXS lines and ring the next open line?

I was thinking of getting 1 incoming VOIP number and 3 more outgoing pay per use lines in additional to POTS as line 1 but the channels thing has stumped me.

the goal is to have 2 incoming/outgoing numbered lines (1 pots and 1 Voip) and fill my 3 extra lines with pay per call outgoing numberless Voip lines. (I hate having line buttons that dont do anything but I also hate paying for pots and 4 voip numbers)

So what the heck are channels and what do I need to order from Callcentric?

"A Pay Per Minute number gives you the flexibility of a low monthly price $1.95 with our full US and Canada coverage for business or personal use. Pay Per Minute numbers come with 3 inbound channels; and you can add additional incoming channels at any time."
https://www.callcentric.com/did/
3 channels = 3 simultaneous calls. You can program the FXS card to roll.
It is Asterisk btw....not asterix.
Posted By: Toner Re: VOIP Channels, incoming numbers Asterix - 02/09/12 10:15 AM
Sounds like you've mostly got a handle on it. For your purposes channels=lines. You need to order the "Pay per Minute" and one "DID Number". You'll be able to handle up to 3 calls incoming or outgoing, or any combination of the 2.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help