atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jsaad SIP Trunk question - 04/22/15 08:44 PM
If I order a SIP trunk, can I order one number and expect to receive and make multiple calls on one SIP trunk or is it like POTS? voip.ms says I can make and receive multiple calls on a sip trunk.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: SIP Trunk question - 04/22/15 08:55 PM
One call per channel.
Posted By: SwedaGuy Re: SIP Trunk question - 04/28/15 08:27 PM
We have a SIP trunk through Digium, but it's connected to a Grandstream gateway appliance with 8 FXS ports, so I run each port to a trunk card on the PBX and I can make 8 calls at once. I'm sure there is a theoretical limit there somewhere, but I don't know what it is.
Posted By: jsaad Re: SIP Trunk question - 04/30/15 01:18 PM
Thanks. I guess some providers are different than others.

How well does the digium service work?
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: SIP Trunk question - 04/30/15 04:32 PM
It all depends on what you're paying for. If you're using the VoIP.ms basic "unlimited" plan, then I believe they give you two channels of incoming calls. If you're using the PPM plan, then you can use as many channels as your equipment can handle.
Posted By: Shawane Re: SIP Trunk question - 05/12/15 12:05 AM
This varies per provider but for the most part, you can consider the SIP Trunk a PRI (don't mistake for a PRI this is just for example purposes). You purchase a trunk\PRI. You purchase how ever many lines\DID's, etc. Instead of being limited to 23 paths on the PRI you purchase the amount of channels\paths on a SIP trunk and that determines how many calls you can have at the same time. You really have to discuss this with your provider(s). Some charge more than others and some bundle to save you money. Each path\call on the trunk is about 80kb. Most like to charge you by paths. This is a condensed explanation. It's not that simple but may help.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help