atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: mdaniel Aerial Cable - 03/10/06 03:29 PM
I have a job coming up where I need to run 1000ft 50pr cable so two buildings can run off of one phone system.

What is the best lighting protection I can put on this.

The system will be in building A then I will be running 20 extensions to building B.

Thanks,
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Aerial Cable - 03/10/06 03:42 PM
Mike, you want to use two-stage protection. First, purchase a quality primary building entrance terminal (3M, Circa Telecom and Emerson Network Power-formerly Reltec) and equip it with gas tube modules at a minimum. If your budget will allow, go for solid state modules (4C1S type). It at all possible, place these terminals outside or immediately where the cable enters the building. If you can, try to have about 25 feet of inside wire between it and your system or distribution field location.

Then, provide secondary protectors, such as Porta Systems or ITW Linx units. These should get you covered.

Don't forget that you must use #6 for grounding the primary protector to the building electrical ground, not just a water pipe or your own ground rod. Lastly, make sure that the cable sheath is bonded with the proper sheath clamps.
Posted By: justbill Re: Aerial Cable - 03/10/06 04:00 PM
If I might throw in an opinion. On your secondary protection, if they are digital phones, use low voltage protectors. If your using analog phones or any type of regular ringing voltage you can't use them, like on an outside bell or something. Lastly bond all grounds together, this is the best thing you can do to keep power surges and lightning from jumping to a different ground potential. You will find differences of opinion on common bonding, but I've found this to be highly helpful in preventing problems.
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Aerial Cable - 03/10/06 04:01 PM
Thank you Mr President.

What is the big difference in the gas tube modules and the solid state?

I would quess the solid state will reset where the gas tubes will not, anything else?

Can I get this stuff through Sprint North Supply?

Thanks Ed,
Posted By: justbill Re: Aerial Cable - 03/10/06 04:04 PM
Mike forgot to mention there is a good bit of info on grounding in the FAQ's
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Aerial Cable - 03/10/06 04:07 PM
They will be mostly Partner 18-D's and 1 or 2 plain analog phones.

Will proably be transfering some dial tone back and forth also.

Thanks Bill,
Posted By: KLD Re: Aerial Cable - 03/10/06 06:12 PM
My two cents --- what Ed and Bill both said.

The solid state are more accurate on ground correcting vs. the gas that are set (like a fuse) for a certain voltage. The digital sets/ports will get fried if the allowance is too high. But if you use the lower value the slp and dt pairs with standard ringing will be too much for them to accept.

Ground, ground, bond, bond, and ground again --- everything in sight. If you have a splice between the buildings, bond, bond, and bond again. The inside wiring (25 foot) acts as a "blow-out" fuse but you can order riser shielded cable if you really want to spend the money.

Grounding and BET (building entrance terminals) are not cheap but a lot cheaper than replacing a system and losing a good customer.

Again, just my two cents.

KLD wink
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Aerial Cable - 03/10/06 06:27 PM
Thanks for you're input KLD.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help