atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Catfish What's This? - 10/09/07 08:57 PM
I was doing a site survey for a job I'll be doing in the next couple weeks and when I got to the MPOE I found this:

[Linked Image from i155.photobucket.com]

And here's the bigger picture:

[Linked Image from i155.photobucket.com]

I've been into a lot of MPOEs and demarcs, never seen that before. The bottle is clear glass with a rubber top, the stuff inside appears to be some kind of green gel (not liquid, not solid), like the cured LSR I used to test in a lab a million years ago. The wires inside are the 15 pair unused from the 25-pair carrier feed.

Every day's a new day.
Posted By: justbill Re: What's This? - 10/09/07 09:09 PM
Looks to me like the end of a cable run and someone cleared the ends.
Posted By: KLD Re: What's This? - 10/10/07 04:32 AM
WE HAVE A WINNER !!!

Yes, it is the end of that cable, the ends cleared and capped. Some used gel (re-enter-able compound), some used epoxy. Common local practice in aerial PIC cable.

Not too often found in buried ... cable cleared and tied. The ICKY PIC , if of a larger gauge, would have insulation "creep" so it was connectorized with splice connectors, not the "bottle" .

Thanks for the memories.
Posted By: djweis Re: What's This? - 10/10/07 06:43 AM
I've never seen it done that way, just using 3m UCC connectors. They look like the UY size but they are red and don't have the metal clip inside.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: What's This? - 10/10/07 08:02 AM
This was a popular means of dead-ending pairs in the 1960's and 70's. Although that one looks home-made, there were actual kits sold by 3M and various other manufacturers. They had a foam pad in the bottom of the container to keep the wire ends from touching and the goo held them in place.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: What's This? - 10/10/07 09:08 AM
That's interesting...never seen that before smile
Posted By: Catfish Re: What's This? - 10/10/07 09:45 AM
Thanks, all. It did come off an aerial cable. Never seen that done, in any manner, in the gazillion MPOEs I've been into around here.
Posted By: justbill Re: What's This? - 10/10/07 03:30 PM
You'd wrap the group once around your finger and cut it with snips at a slight angle, unwrap and no two wires were the same length, then cap it. As Ken said, pre icky pic.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: What's This? - 10/10/07 05:11 PM
In an aerial splice, we would clear the ends of an unused group by putting them in a shake & bake.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help