atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Jim Bennett The Last Ten Feet? - 04/04/14 11:51 AM
Forget about the "last mile," this is about the last ten feet.

More to the point, the cable between the NID/protectors on the outside of the building and the punch down blocks, etc. inside. Sometimes a few feet [or more] of this cable is exposed to the weather. Standard CAT x horizontal cable is not moisture proof, and after the sunlight cooks it for a year or two, the jacket falls apart.

So what do people use for this these days?

Jim
==================================================
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.
Posted By: justbill Re: The Last Ten Feet? - 04/04/14 01:55 PM
You can get black jacket UV proof CAT 3 or 5 or run it in a conduit, which is what I prefer.
Posted By: ffej010 Re: The Last Ten Feet? - 04/04/14 11:45 PM
We use an outdoor rated Cat3 or Cat5 cable from the NID to the handoff inside.

Around here, I have pleaded w/ electrical contractors to stop using standard Cat5 on new home construction that they poke outside to run to our NID. By the time we arrive to mount the NID and fire up service, everything inside is completely finished off and we are left w/ no choice but to use what they gave us.
Posted By: hawk82 Re: The Last Ten Feet? - 04/05/14 12:38 AM
This is what the CLEC I work for gives me this to use:
https://www.mohawk-cable.com/copper-lan-cables/versalan-category-5e.html

Works pretty well. A little stiff in cold temps though.
Posted By: justbill Re: The Last Ten Feet? - 04/05/14 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by ffej010
Around here, I have pleaded w/ electrical contractors to stop using standard Cat5 on new home construction that they poke outside to run to our NID.

Since all they do is loop it from one location to another they probably can't figure out how to put UV rated from the first jack to the outside.

Someone stated in another topic on wiring about needing at least two active brain cells, they're probably missing one. banghead
Posted By: mbhydro Re: The Last Ten Feet? - 04/07/14 02:08 AM
For triple play upgrades from the NID to the inside splitter Manitoba Telecom (our LEC) uses a Superior Essex adw 2x22 cable. I don't remember seeing a Cat rating for this cable.

I was wandering around Home Depot here in Canada over the weekend and saw they sell a Cat 5E cable from General Cable that is marked CMR/CMX for riser and external use in 100 ft rolls.
Posted By: jknichols Re: The Last Ten Feet? - 04/07/14 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by justbill

Since all they do is loop it from one location to another they probably can't figure out how to put UV rated from the first jack to the outside.

Nah, Like the title says, just get 10 feet of outside rated cable and use sparky style CAT6 wirenuts to splice it between the building wiring and the outside NID. devilgrin
Posted By: Rcaman Re: The Last Ten Feet? - 04/07/14 03:43 PM
Here in Western PA, I am dismayed at the lengths people go to make the inside wiring "picture perfect" and up to date only to completely miss the mark and put cat 6 plenum cable out the building and into a NID which could be 10, 20 or 50 feet from the cable entrance.

Our company uses cat 5E outdoor for 4 pair or less feeds. If more than 4 pair we install conduit. PVC conduit is extremely cost effective and will protect the cable very well. Plenum cable cracks and splits with one weather cycle, PVC cable develops micro holes when sunlight hits it and soon, water will wick up into the cables and phantom static and disconnects will haunt the otherwise good job.

Rcaman
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: The Last Ten Feet? - 04/07/14 04:55 PM
I believe at&t uses General Cable outdoor/CMX cat 3 and cat 5e around here.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help