atcomsystems.ca/forum
Over on dslreports, I spotted a topic in the Verizon FiOS forum concerning a user who physically moved the ONT from outside his house to the inside.

My understanding is that the ONT is a part of Verizon's network and should only be handled by Verizon's technicians. I posted a response in that light, but the reply that the OP left was along the lines of "whatever".

Am I correct in that the person should not have moved the ONT themselves? ponder

Here is the link to the topic:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33347311-ONT-Moved-Verizon-ONT-indoors
"It worked fine until I worked on it."
laugh
Yes, you are correct. The ONT is the provider's property, but many people don't care.

I have always had success when I ask them to install it inside instead of outside. So long as the is the right size of conduit, it's easy for them.
Verizon has shifted to installing ONTs inside whenever possible. The old Tellabs 611 which was replaced last year when I upgraded my Internet service from 75/75 to 400/400 served us for almost 13 years. From what I've read, the long life was because the Verizon contractor installed it in the basement as opposed to outside the house. Externally mounted ONTs tend to have shorter lifespans.
When I had the house, the ONT was inside. When I moved into the apartment, I was curious as to what they would do.

There's the main splice in the first floor parking garage, a splice box on every floor and the fiber runs right into my apartment.

According to the installer, the next iteration of service will be fully wireless, with transmitters out in the street on the poles. Receivers in the buildings will allow full access anywhere.

We'll see.

Sam
I think that would be a secondary use of the 5G antennas being installed in cities and towns. From what I've read, 5G is asymmetrical, so it can't fully duplicate FiOS functionality which is symmetrical.

Verizon is rolling out multi gigabit service in NYC. The Calix ONT looks similar to the Alcatel-Lucent (Nokia) 211, minus the "F" connector and ground screw.

The new router has only three Ethernet jacks (two gigs and one multi-gig) as opposed to the typical four. The current E3200 can be carried over and connected to the gig jacks. smile
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help