atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Baffled Rookie wiring question - 12/03/09 06:06 AM
Since we're scrimping to save money at our Senior Center, I thought I'd take a shot at replacing a broken phone jack myself. Trying to be a hero, I bought a Radio Shack six-pin (RJ-11/RJ-14/RJ-25) modular telephone jack. I removed the old jack and discovered eight wires: BLUE, ORANGE, GREEN, BROWN, WHITE/BLUE, WHITE/ORANGE, WHITE/GREEN and WHITE/BROWN. The jack I bought has six points(RED, GREEN BLACK, YELLOW, WHITE and BLUE. Is there a way I can make it work? Which colors from the wall do I connect to which colors on the jack? If that's a lost cause, what jack should I buy? Or, is it time to bite the budgetary bullet and call the phone company?
Posted By: skip555 Re: Rookie wiring question - 12/03/09 06:18 AM
It will depend on what type of phone the jack is supporting

some require all four pairs , some work on a single pair

so what is the jack being used for ?
Posted By: Baffled Re: Rookie wiring question - 12/03/09 06:40 AM
Thanks for responding, Skip! I sent you a private message. It would be great if you could help us save some $$$ on this!
Posted By: DJG Re: Rookie wiring question - 12/03/09 08:20 AM
I would go back out and buy a 8-pin ( rj-45 ) jack and hook it back up the way it was. No matter what it's used for it will work if you set it up the way it was.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Rookie wiring question - 12/03/09 08:23 AM
I removed the old jack and discovered eight wires: BLUE, ORANGE, GREEN, BROWN, WHITE/BLUE, WHITE/ORANGE, WHITE/GREEN and WHITE/BROWN.
In the industry we refer to them as 4 pair.

Blue & Blue/White is the first pair
Orange & Orange/White is the second pair
Green & Green/White is the third pair
Brown & Brown/White is the fourth pair

CAUTION If this is on a phone system then crossing, shorting or miss wiring could damage equipment.
Posted By: upstateny Re: Rookie wiring question - 12/03/09 08:25 AM
CAUTION If this is on a phone system then crossing, shorting or miss wiring could damage equipment. [/QB]
Well said .... an attempt to save a $100 may cost you several hundred.
Posted By: Fletcher Re: Rookie wiring question - 12/03/09 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Baffled:
Since we're scrimping to save money at our Senior Center, I thought I'd take a shot at replacing a broken phone jack myself. Trying to be a hero, I bought a Radio Shack six-pin (RJ-11/RJ-14/RJ-25) modular telephone jack. I removed the old jack and discovered eight wires: BLUE, ORANGE, GREEN, BROWN, WHITE/BLUE, WHITE/ORANGE, WHITE/GREEN and WHITE/BROWN. The jack I bought has six points(RED, GREEN BLACK, YELLOW, WHITE and BLUE. Is there a way I can make it work? Which colors from the wall do I connect to which colors on the jack? If that's a lost cause, what jack should I buy? Or, is it time to bite the budgetary bullet and call the phone company?
I'm assuming since you bought a 6 position wall plate that is what came out of the wall.

Typically, the wh/bl bl/wh pair goes to screws with the red/green jumper wires (pins 3&4), the wh/or or/wh pair to the black/yellow (pins 2&5), and the wh/gr gr/wh pair to the white/blue (pins 1&6). That said, there is no guarantee the wiring in the phone room is standard - you might have dial tone on the brown pair, or on green and blue, or split pairs, or any number of funky configurations.

If you've taken the wires off of the old jack and didn't note their positions, it's best to call a pro to fix it.

Jack
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Rookie wiring question - 12/06/09 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Fletcher:

If you've taken the wires off of the old jack and didn't note their positions, it's best to call a pro to fix it.

Jack
Another option would be to look at another active telephone jack that is the same, then copy the wiring from that location.
Posted By: jbrd973 Re: Rookie wiring question - 12/07/10 10:15 AM
Most likely, it is just plain old dialtone on the jack. From experience, I would assume the blue pair from the wall is carrying dialtone. Attach the white/blue from the wall to the green on the jack. Attach the blue from the wall to the red on the jack. This should work. If not, try the same with the orange or the green or the brown pair from the wall.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Rookie wiring question - 12/07/10 10:51 AM
Has anyone noticed that this thread is over a year old?
Posted By: Derrick Re: Rookie wiring question - 12/07/10 11:16 AM
Was somebody bored?
Posted By: jbrd973 Re: Rookie wiring question - 12/07/10 12:57 PM
Im new... and yes, bored as well. I didnt notice the original posting date.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Rookie wiring question - 12/07/10 01:00 PM
JBRD welcome to Tech Talk. Don't worry about an old post your not the only one here that gets bored. wink
Posted By: jknichols Re: Rookie wiring question - 12/08/10 06:56 AM
A year old and we never found out how or even if he got it fixed!
Posted By: skip555 Re: Rookie wiring question - 12/08/10 07:25 AM
Originally posted by jknichols:
A year old and we never found out how or even if he got it fixed!
sure we did , post three it was handled privately
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help