atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: PartyLIne4 BELL phone keypad doesn't dial out! - 02/14/13 07:08 PM
I received 3 Bell phones today and am very happy with only one of them. The two that do not work have the same problem, they do not produce a tone when a key is pressed,

I read on a previous forum that this was a common thing in W.E. keypads.

When a key is pressed the volume goes down, but nothing proceeds.

I heard it can be the transistor or maybe a bad connection?

Problem is where to start looking. Maybe you can help?
Posted By: skip555 Re: BELL phone keypad doesn't dial out! - 02/14/13 07:12 PM
start by trying to reverse the polarity (swap the red and green wires )
Posted By: PartyLIne4 Re: BELL phone keypad doesn't dial out! - 02/14/13 08:49 PM
OK. Could you explain how that would work for future seekers of this information?
Posted By: justbill Re: BELL phone keypad doesn't dial out! - 02/14/13 09:50 PM
The older touch tone phone were polarity sensitive, now they have a polarity guard in them so the line wiring is immaterial.

So you're just reversing the tip and ring so you get the battery on the correct side, or you could buy a polarity guard to put in the phone, that is if they still make them.

Here ya go polarity guard
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: BELL phone keypad doesn't dial out! - 02/15/13 01:06 PM
I've had this issue on some of my 1A2 keysets. Flipping T&R at the block will solve the problem, at least for me.
Posted By: justbill Re: BELL phone keypad doesn't dial out! - 02/15/13 05:01 PM
Back in the day you were suppose to make sure ring was ring and tip was tip. I still do, just because it makes it right.
Posted By: John Osvatic Re: BELL phone keypad doesn't dial out! - 04/29/13 12:53 PM
Remember:
There was a time when only Telco technicians could install telephones and work on the lines. We were trained to ensure that as justbill states: The ring was the ring and the tip was the tip, battery was present on the ring, ground was present on the tip, from central office to demarc, no exceptions. It made trouble shooting easier for the next guy.
Posted By: Old 1A2 Guy Re: BELL phone keypad doesn't dial out! - 02/20/14 06:23 AM
Radio shack has them under a different name. Bridge rectifier.
Hook the Diode + and - to the T&R inside the phone and the ~ (AC) pins to the mtg cable T&R.
Posted By: brokeda Re: BELL phone keypad doesn't dial out! - 02/20/14 06:30 PM
Tip and Ring? I thought those were Alexander G Bells two dogs.
"Radio shack has them under a different name. Bridge rectifier.
Hook the Diode + and - to the T&R inside the phone and the ~ (AC) pins to the mtg cable T&R."

Tsk Tsk! You're really going to confuse the guy, suggesting that! Ask yourself this: What happens when the CO line rings with AC? The diode bridge will rectify it, and then the bell won't work. Then we'll be back here, diagnosing THAT problem.

Here's what to do: Reverse the T & R at the closest point of connection to the phone.

If you want to convert the telephone so that it has a polarity guard, you need to wire the PG between the network terminals and the dial.

See, for example, BSP 502-523-401 (you can google it) and look for the schematic for the 2500DMG telephone set, which is a typical application. In the model number, the M stands for "Modular" and the G stands for "Guard". Note that the PG gets wired between the line switch and the network.

For a basic understanding of what the PG looks like and how it works, I suggest that you see BSP 501-321-100. (you can google that one, too) Most times, a quick check into the TCI library will give you the right answers.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: BELL phone keypad doesn't dial out! - 02/21/14 03:55 PM
Tip is always ground and Ring is always battery? How about open Tip trunks? (Ha, ha...just kidding.) Around here in Western PA, the first touch tone phones were being installed on party lines where it made a world of difference how the Tip and Ring were connected. The touch pads could be polarity sensitive because the telephone craftsperson made sure the Tip and Ring were connected properly. PG touch pads were provided for the "quantity" not "quality" techs that managed 12 C's a day because they basically threw the phones at the house and drove away. Anyone have to follow behind these future supervisors?

Rcaman
I was teaching a course to some PBX guys at the Plant Training School at 461 8th Avenue in New York, and was walking by a classroom where an old (hic) foreman was trying to explain basic installation to some recruits. I overheard him say that Ring was Red and Hot and Positive.

Later, in the lunchroom, I asked him if he realized that he was mistaken. His answer foretold the future of my once wonderful company: "These little (expletives) can only think in terms of their (expletive) cars and stereos, where red is positive and black is ground. I've tried to teach 'em different, but the (expletive expletive-rs) can't unlearn what they've already learned. (Expletive) 'em, I say.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: BELL phone keypad doesn't dial out! - 02/24/14 02:39 PM
The little (expletives) are now supervisors and can't tell the difference between their elbow and their nose. Yes, we have come a long way....Baby.

Rcaman
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help