atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: copperman Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/02/19 08:41 PM
Hello everyone. I'm not sure this is the place to put this but here goes. I have an old Kellogg D1000 phone I want to rewire to work on our existing phone line. I can get dial tone through it but no side tone and can't break dial tone. Can someone tell me how to rewire it so it will work? I have a DTMF converter to put in the line. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/02/19 09:27 PM
Do you have any of the paperwork?

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/strombergcarlson/kellogg/kellogg_main.htm

http://doc.telephonecollectors.info/dm/Kellogg_general_catalog_no_11_1949_ocr_op.pdf

https://www.telephonecollectors.inf...hones-telephone-handbook-1947-ocr-r/file

https://www.telephonecollectors.inf...-diagrams-1937-1942-blueprint-style/file
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/02/19 10:02 PM
Dean's 3rd reference is the one you want for your Kellogg "Redbar" phone
Follow the instructions for Common Batter, and Metallic Ringing. Hopefully you have a "straight-line" ringer, many that I came across had harmonic ringers used on party lines. Also check the dial contacts, that the pulse contacts are opening and that the off-normal contacts are not shorted.

You're fine posting here, but we do have a forum dedicated to antique telephones here
https://sundance-communications.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/45/1/antique-telephones
Posted By: copperman Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/03/19 02:39 PM
Guys, you are a life saver! I will play with the lashup later today and see how it works. I will post a reply later. Thanks so much.
Posted By: copperman Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/03/19 02:59 PM
No, I have no paperwork on it. Picked it up at a yardsale. We have my wife's grandmothers telephone bench and want to put both in our living room. The third reference does not appear to show how it should be wired unless I am missing something. Please advise.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/03/19 03:27 PM
Here is a great source for information TCI Library

Also the instruction that Touch Tone Tommy said.
Posted By: copperman Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/03/19 06:48 PM
Touch Tone Tommy, I am going to assume you mean the 3rd link that professor shadow posted. It is the book on the Kellogg D1000 red bar. As the phone is a D1000 BA I will also assume you make all the strapping connections under BA in the charts on page 8.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/03/19 09:15 PM
Of course you never know if someone previous to you has rewired the phone. Always write down what you chance so you can rewire it if it doesn't work as advertised.
Posted By: copperman Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/04/19 06:37 PM
Thanks guys. I finally moved a couple of wires and got it working, even without the DTMF converter. I can dial out and answer calls just fine.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/04/19 07:33 PM
Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. Which wires needed your attention?
Posted By: copperman Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/04/19 08:39 PM
I ended up moving one of the handset leads. I had ordered new cloth cords for the phone and the color codes did not match the drawings.

I do have another question: Even though the phone can dial out (I called my cell phone) it will also mis-dial sometimes. I bought one of those DTMF converters but I must not be connecting it correctly as it doesn't seem to make any difference. Can anyone tell me how it should be wired to the phone line? I tried to attach a pic but it's too large. It has a green circuit board with three screws on one end and a modular connection on the other. The red and green wires are labeled T & R and on one side the two terminals say "telephone".
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/04/19 11:15 PM
If the image is too large try opening in MS Paint and then use the Resize tool or you can post the manufacture, model et cetera of your device and I can do it for you.
Posted By: copperman Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/05/19 02:07 PM
Got it off EBAY. Here is the item name: Telephone Module Pulse Transfer Dual Tone Multiple Frequency DTMF Converter New
Posted By: copperman Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/05/19 03:50 PM
Just to clarify, it looks like a printed circuit board on a modular block. It has two legs, one going down each side of the block where the copper wire would come in. One side has one terminal marked L1. The other side has a terminal marked L2. The other leg has two terminals that are marked "telephone". I will take a leap here and assume the red and green wires with spade lugs go to the "telephone" terminals and the incoming line goes to L1 and L2.
Posted By: copperman Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/05/19 08:02 PM
Well guys, my assumption was correct! I wired the DTMF block as I suspected and everything works perfectly! I can dial out and get the correct number every time and I can receive calls. Oh happy day and the wife is happy too!!!!
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Kellogg D1000 Wiring - 05/05/19 08:38 PM
Ain't nobody happy until the wife is happy.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help