atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: The Grim Reaper How to Find New Verizon Lines - 10/23/07 07:45 PM
Hi,
Often Verizon installs new POTS lines to the building demarc but does not label these lines. So I find a telephone closet with maybe a few hundred lines but not a clue as to which ones are for my customer.

If I call Verizon and ask for the binding post number for the new lines, they refuse to give out this information "for security reasons." I have tried several times and they always refuse. (I never have a problem getting the binding post from an alternate phone company, just Verizon.)

Verizon sends a technician out to the site in a few days to label the lines. I'd rather get the job done in one trip for the sake of my client.

A Verizon installer told me that if you dial 811 with a test set, it will tell you the number. I could test each line, but there may be several hundred lines in a phone closet. Does anyone have a better idea?
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 10/23/07 08:27 PM
Doesn't Verizon put a padlock on all of their terminals? They sure do in the former GTE territory of California. Point being, you can't get to their side of the demarc, and need them to extend it to an RJ-21 or demrc block with the jack/plug and screw terminals.
Posted By: The Grim Reaper Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 10/23/07 10:21 PM
There is usually a jack/plug and screw terminals at the end of each line. But there are hundreds of these in a multi-occupancy building. Without a label, is there a quick way to find a line, given its phone number?
Posted By: jacktel Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 10/24/07 04:23 AM
This is a common problem, I ask all my clients to tell Verizon to tag all new lines when they are ordering them. I also inform client that extra service charge is needed if no tag,this is for 2nd visit and most clients do ask.
Posted By: skip555 Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 10/24/07 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Touch Tone Tommy:
Doesn't Verizon put a padlock on all of their terminals? They sure do in the former GTE territory of California. Point being, you can't get to their side of the demarc, and need them to extend it to an RJ-21 or demrc block with the jack/plug and screw terminals.
thats interesting , no locks in sw fl here with verizon formally GTE

in fact most are hanging open

Ive been in positions to do that and its really not that hard , speaker phone /data lockout buttset with ANI numbers in speed dial

all you need to listen for is the first few digits for a match so most you can eliminate within one or two digits

really doesn't take that long

Ive also called the number and gone down the terminals with a VOM looking for ring voltage
Posted By: The Grim Reaper Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 10/24/07 06:59 AM
I like the idea of calling the number and looking for the ring voltage.

Please explain a little more how to use ANI numbers in speed dial.
Posted By: metelcom Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 10/24/07 11:17 AM
Call Verizon back and tell them to finish the job then when you bill the customer separate the charges so that the customer can go after V for a refund
Posted By: mdaniel Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 10/24/07 03:12 PM
Here in Bellsouth or the "New at&t" country they don't lock nothing either.
I have been in the same situation many times with several hundred pairs at the demarc or NID and nothing labeled.
I don't feel as if it my job to do theirs (The service provider).
We always call or have the customer call the service provider and have them come back and label the lines as they should done in the first place.
Posted By: Pete Largo Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 10/24/07 07:09 PM
Verizon is terrible about this. I am always having to get them to come back to tag their lines. In Tampa sometimes the tech will come back and just throw the line tag in the can without attaching it to the line...which means they have to come back a third time... and yes it is billable to the customer whom we advise to send the bill to verizon.

The easiest (and most painful) way to find an untagged line is to call the number and run your finger over the binding posts until you get zapped. laugh
Posted By: The Grim Reaper Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 10/24/07 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Pete Largo:
The easiest (and most painful) way to find an untagged line is to call the number and run your finger over the binding posts until you get zapped. ...
I like the concept, but maybe there is a non-human ring detector? I bought an AC detector at Radio Shack a few years ago. Maybe I'll try that.
Posted By: skip555 Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 10/24/07 08:28 PM
Originally posted by The Grim Reaper:
I like the idea of calling the number and looking for the ring voltage.

Please explain a little more how to use ANI numbers in speed dial.
a couple of ways to do it depending on your buttset

you can dial the number once then on to the next hit speaker and redial and so on

I currently use a TS25D and I have several ANI numbers in speed dial so I go off hook hit speaker then choose the ani number

like I said just a couple of digits will get you close

I agree it should be the telcos job , but when the customer is trying to get going and as long as they are willing to pay I'll try to find the lines .

I explain it to them and give them the choice ,

keep in mind if your looking for ring voltage the voltage is off and on , (ring and silence )

I think its 2 seconds ring voltage and 4 seconds silence so running your fingers or any other device quickly down the block wont get it if you hit the pins during the silent period
Posted By: justbill Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 10/24/07 08:54 PM
I've been known to run the block with a jumper tied to ground. Hey you don't label, I do what I have to. Where I am is small enough you only have to do that once, after that they label.
Posted By: jacktel Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 10/25/07 12:59 PM
Any job we do for customer in last couple of yrs. the bp# is added along side of phone number in customer records. In larger jobs- ent. cable and bp.,house pr. This really helps for fast check of dial tone and if have constant problem on a certain line can reference bp# and ask for different pair.
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 10/25/07 06:13 PM
The problem with using a volt meter and looking for the ring voltage, is of course the ringing is not constant, but 2 seconds on and 4 seconds off. It takes forever to land on the pair while it is ringing.

Now if you use Bill's method, or call the number and then use a flat-blade screwdriver to shout the pins together, one pair at a time, it's pretty fast to find which one trips the ring!
Posted By: Toneman Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 11/01/07 10:04 AM
I have always called Verizon back out to tag the lines, thereby making me have to go out a 2nd time. I do charge the enduser for both trips, not my fault, and I do need to be compensated for my time. Most customer's understand this and work with Verizon for a reduction on their installation bill with them.
Sometimes I will call a new number and short out all terminals until the ringing on my buttset clicks and the follow that pair back to the dmarc.
Posted By: Phony McRingring Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 01/13/08 01:36 PM
It is Verizons job to Tag the lines when they are installed. They should provide demarc location(RJ21X #3, positon 22 etc.) I would not go to the trouble of trying to locate the lines unless you had some way of putting up tone on them.
Posted By: Hallechurch Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 01/20/08 05:09 AM
Try dialing 958 and see if that works.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 01/20/08 05:20 AM
In what universe is that :-)

A few days ago, I was running a service call at a business where AT&T,nee SBC, nee Ameritech,nee Ohio Bell was sent in at the same time. He proceded to dial an 800 number and an authcode to ID the lines. I asked if there was any chance I could get the number.

Never hurts to ask.

Alas, I didn't get it.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 01/20/08 05:20 AM
duplicate post monster strikes again
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 01/20/08 08:04 AM
ANI is automatic number identification, a central-office term. The codes that are dialed to find a telephone number's identity are called ANA (automatic number announcement) codes.

There are several ANA codes available, depending upon your geographics and LEC. If the moderators feel it is appropriate to post them here, I will.
Posted By: justbill Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 01/20/08 08:55 AM
Arthur. It is not. That's where the PM and email features are used to help fellow techs.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 01/20/08 09:33 AM
Funny how things change. When I lived in KCMO in the 80's and Central KS in the 90's, SWB was pretty touchy about interconnects, or anyone else, getting in their terminals. Now, at least here in NC Embarq territory, it's like they expect you to. Originally in most areas, the telco was required by their own rules to put DeMarc in customer premise, not main phone room. Still true here, but most Interconnects don't know it and most telco techs won't tell you and/or deny it. (Less work for them) Then you ask for their super and things change. Either they truly didn't know it, (Not surprising) or they back down. What am I doing here on a Sunday?! smile John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: kytiedown Re: How to Find New Verizon Lines - 01/23/08 06:23 AM
I have a couple of ANA numbers that seem to work in most of the scattered area's I've been in around the U.S. If anyone needs them PM or email me and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help