atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: KSmith AT&T doesn't give out binding post numbers - 10/24/11 10:20 AM
High everybody, first time poster, and ten veteran of the Telcom Industry. I'm having a little problem that I hope you can help me out with. The last time I called AT&T repair to get some binding post numbers, AT&T stated that they no longer give out binding post numbers, and that the customer would have to call out an AT&T tech to hook up the customer's PBX to the MPOE. I filed a complaint with the California Public Utilities Commission who replied that it was AT&T's right to not provide binding post information to the customer. I've combed through all of the laws and regulations I could find, and found nothing that requires AT&T to provide binding post numbers to their customer. I was wondering if anyone out there knows if there is a law or regulation requiring AT&T to give out binding post or cable pair identifiers?

Thanks,
Kevin S. Smith
Stewart Telecommunications
Eureka, CA
All they are suppose to do is tag the DEMARC, so if they didn't do that, that would be what I'd request.
Ditto.
There's absolutely NO reason or tariff requirement for a LEC to provide customer with a cable/pair/BP information.

Phone number/circuit ID properly tagged at the appropriate pin/jack/test point is ALL that is required.

Why would the customer need the BP anyway? To troubleshoot their own copper pair? I don't think so...
Thanks for the quick replies. Unfortunately the phone company doesn't mark the DEMARCs out here. It must be some regional thing. It looks like I'm gonna have to call out an AT&T tech every time I need to hook up customer equipment to the DEMARC.
Well if they don't mark the demarc then maybe youre on to something after all...
What number are you calling for repair - Central California Coast we are using 1-800-332-1321, and keep zeroing out to reach a live person. Then just ask for the "Final Binding Post Number" - always been cooperative!
Where I am (not an AT&T area but the same rules *should* apply) you can call in a repair ticket for "tag & locate"...and the LEC should come out and tag the circuits/lines appropriately.

From what I recall, a testing point is a tariff requirement. Without knowing the exact location of the test point (demarc)no installation can be considered completed...

My experiences only.
I too have always gotten cooperation (but then I'm a flirt too when it comes to the ladies).

Everything you've heard is truth. Tag the BP or tell me where it's at...please. End of story. There literally is no other outlet.

Tom also has a point in that ANY information you get is subject to interpretation. I have ways where I can call and get certain "counts" that don't otherwise convert to BP numbers. What YOU want (unless you wish to do a little survey and some math) is to get the FINAL BP count.

You may not always find that the person you speak to has that info. There seems to be a smattering of people--some with access to that info...others who do not. Keep trying. You WILL ultimately get what you're looking for.

Be charming, be persistent and prentent you work on the same team if you have to. We'll forgive the impersonation.
When new service is ordered, always request term and tag. Binding post information is so often wrong. A tag is the best way. Tommy, I've also always gotten BP information (as wrong as it may be) by calling that same number.

It was even better when we were able to access the system that sent tone out on the line. AT&T (actually I think it might have still been SBC at the time) got "smart" and changed the access number and passcode protected it.

Justin
In my area I find that many new circuits are not tagged. I dont really think the LEC sends a tech to the site many times. I usually end up ringing up the circuit and running my wand up and down the count until I hear ringing on something.Time consuming, but it beats trying to work through the red tape of getting binding posts.
I had a LEC refuse to tag so as gelehu said I dialed the number, but I didn't use my probe, I ran a jumper to ground and ran the block until the ring tripped, I wasn't going to waste my time on their refusal. There were a couple of alarm circuits so of course I set them off. They've never refused me tagging a service since. This was not a major LEC, I've never had them refuse.
I've had to do that before, too, Bill.

Justin
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help