atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: dexman Verizon FiOS Set Top Box Rental Rate Changes. - 07/29/19 03:43 PM
A note to anyone who has Verizon FiOS service and rents set top boxes. Back in March, Verizon included a notice in monthly statements that there would be changes to what the company charges for set top box rentals.

OLD:

$6.99 for each standard definition set top box.
$11.99 for each HD set top box

NEW:

$12.00 each for the first two set top boxes regardless if they are standard or HD.
$6.00 each for set top boxes three through five.
No additional rental charges for set top boxes six and above.

My monthly Verizon bill jumped by around $7.00 under the new fee structure (2 standard def & 1 HD). frown
You didn't think your cost was going to go down, did ya? I pay more for cable than I pay for electric and gas. At least with electric and gas I get something I can use.

-Hal
The biggest complaint that I've heard from FiOS subscribers has always been their constantly increasing monthly rates. It's pretty much the same with any video service providers. I'm getting ready to turn in two set top boxes, one with DVR, which will reduce my Spectrum bill by over $30.00 per month in favor of Roku devices. It's too bad that you can't get any alternative devices with FiOS.
We stream everything with DSL and our rates haven't changed in 6 years.
I'm not sure about FiOS but i thought that all cable providers were requried to let you by or rent a cable card that you could insert into your own devices (i.e. 3rd party dvr)
That was something that never went anywhere.

-Hal
Originally Posted by EV607797
The biggest complaint that I've heard from FiOS subscribers has always been their constantly increasing monthly rates. It's pretty much the same with any video service providers. I'm getting ready to turn in two set top boxes, one with DVR, which will reduce my Spectrum bill by over $30.00 per month in favor of Roku devices. It's too bad that you can't get any alternative devices with FiOS.
Ed, I just have my wife call (Cablevision) and bitch about how expensive they are and that we're going to switch to Verizon. She's real good at it. Zatomic Then watch how they give us the introductory rate and free Showtime and HBO that they give new subscribers for the first year. Saves about $50/mo.

Give it a try.

-Hal

Verizon gives FIOS subscribers the option of leasing or outright purchasing the routers. Not sure about set-top boxes.

I recently read about situations where people who purchased Verizon FIOS routers found themselves being charged an extra monthly fee later on by Frontier in areas where Frontier took over RBOC duties from Verizon. 🤔
Originally Posted by hbiss
Ed, I just have my wife call (Cablevision) and bitch about how expensive they are and that we're going to switch to Verizon. She's real good at it. Then watch how they give us the introductory rate and free Showtime and HBO that they give new subscribers for the first year. Saves about $50/mo.

Give it a try.

-Hal

No such luck here, Hal. Our only options here are Spectrum or CenturyLink's Prism service, which is only available in very limited areas (maybe 10% of the city with not much evidence of further deployment happening). They know we don't have any competition available other than satellite. It's a captive market for Spectrum and they know it.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help