atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: metelcom Video surveillance libility - 01/13/06 08:28 AM
I had a customer ask me a good question. They have a shopping mall and would like to install video surveillance. What is their libility for monitoring the cameras. For example if somone should get mugged in the parking lot could they sue the mall for not have a person monitoring the cameras instead of just using DVR
Posted By: TRONIC1 Re: Video surveillance libility - 01/13/06 09:09 AM
Hi metelcom,
Unfortunately your customer may have to pay a lawyer who specializes in liability law to explore the ramifications of having a none monitored surveillance system. Personally I can't see them being liable for your specific scenario, but in this age of litigation for every little thing it would be money well spent.
John
Posted By: hbiss Re: Video surveillance libility - 01/13/06 10:26 AM
Not only the business owner but you too if you installed the system. This is the reason security companies pay more for insurance then we do. I know insurance companies recently raised the rates for electricians because they install smoke detectors.

About all an attorney is going to tell you is anybody can sue anybody for any reason so it's not a question of whether he can be sued but rather how to protect himself if he is.

I would think his general liability would cover this and it would be best to check with his agent about his concerns.

-Hal
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help