atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Splitting a signal-question - 09/07/07 08:41 AM
Here at UT, I work on all the audio systems in the Student Union. A few weeks ago I needed to create a line out jack for one of our systems. I simply split the XLR cable going from the mixer to the amp, so one side goes to the amp and one side goes to a line out jack. However, when tested, the signal was not very loud. The mixer and amp are both old Altec Lansing units. I was wondering if using the Aux input/output would be better. The application for this is when they have meetings and the TV people need an audio feed for their camera. Previously they would just use a Mic splitter going into the mixer and to their camera, but with multiple channels being used it didn't seem like the best way to do it.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Splitting a signal-question - 09/07/07 12:30 PM
OK I tried another thing today. Instead of splitting it where it comes out of the mixer, I split it at the EQ. Maybe that will give it more gain.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Splitting a signal-question - 09/07/07 12:32 PM
Sorry, double post
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Splitting a signal-question - 09/08/07 05:14 AM
Jeff haev you tried the Aux output, seems that would be the easiest solution.

Something else I have done is taken the output and brought that into a mixer (the kind a dj would use) as an input and then used the output of the mixer. The model I used had an output for your amp with leval control, and output for a dj both with leval control, and a record output which in a pinch could be used as an output to an amp.
Posted By: Paul Coxwell Re: Splitting a signal-question - 09/08/07 05:32 AM
Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
I simply split the XLR cable going from the mixer to the amp
Split as in just a direct parallel connection? If the XLRs are carrying a normal 600-ohm balanced line then that's to be expected due to the decreased load impedance.
Posted By: topher Re: Splitting a signal-question - 09/08/07 07:57 AM
Jeff,
Here at my school we have a Mackie40 (kinda big for our needs, but it's nice), we have 5 Controlled Monitors- do you have anything like that? We hook our cameras to it that way.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Splitting a signal-question - 09/08/07 10:26 AM
Topher, on our portable systems we can do just about anything. We have all the aux sends and returns, main and monitor amps, etc. This one is a fixed install in a larger room. The equipment is pretty limited.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Splitting a signal-question - 09/09/07 03:21 PM
Jeff a mixer as Anthony suggested would allow you to control the individual outputs or you can put an passive splitter on mixer output

splitters
direct boxes
mixer
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Splitting a signal-question - 09/09/07 07:10 PM
We did think about putting one of our small Shure mixers (4 in 1 out) in line with this output and see if that makes a difference.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Splitting a signal-question - 09/19/07 05:40 PM
Well here is an update.
I called RDL, the folks who make Stick-On adapters. They recommended that I use a Distribution Amplifier. This will properly split the signal out, so I do not have an impedance loss. This is why we had reduced levels. I am not sure if my boss wants to buy this, but at least we now have a solution.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help