atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: DT98 Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 08/26/08 09:17 AM
I'm needing to construct a surface mount biscuit type jack housing with three ports using snap-in type modules.
I want one RJ31X module and two RJ11C modules.
Does anyone know of a jack manufacturer that makes these? I've asked my Gbar rep and he is looking too.
The closest I have come to finding what I want is by Suttle but it looks like the only solution they have is to use a flush mount 3 port faceplate. I will do this if it's the only solution. Suttle sent me some samples of their STAR line but the 648 series jacks will not fit the surface mount housings...
HELP...anyone know if any company makes what I'm looking for anymore?
Thanks,
DT98
Posted By: metelcom Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 08/26/08 10:02 AM
How about using a 4 port surface box with a blank in the extra port.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 08/26/08 10:04 AM
I have never seen an RJ-31X keystone jack. The usual way to do what you want to do is to just line the biscuit jacks up either next to each other or above and below. Is there a problem with that?

-Hal
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 08/26/08 10:05 AM
What is a 648 series jack?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 08/26/08 10:15 AM
That is Suttle's line of snap-in jack modules. Not much different than any other manufacturer's.

I have not seen even a flush-mounted jack that can be used for an RJ31X. I know that Suttle used to make an SE635B68-50 that provided one 6P4C jack and one 8P8C jack with shorting bars, but I seriously doubt that you'll find any supply houses that still stock them.

SE635B68
Posted By: DT98 Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 08/26/08 02:50 PM
Thanks for the replies!

In order:
Metelcom, I would use a 4 port w/a blank if I could find it. If you know of one please let me know.
Hal, Yes three jacks next to each other would work. Since the LECs do not like installing RJ31Xs anymore and the major alarm company we use subs out the majority of installs...and they have trouble wiring RJ31Xs, I am going to make a totally modular three port unit that has one RJ11C "in from telco via our surge protector", one RJ11C "out from RJ31X/alarm system" and one RJ31X. All these will be labeled and hopefully hard to mess up. The wins for me is to make the install modular (all our equipment from the LEC D-mark RJ11C on is modular) and to use our surge protection. Right now the alarm system is acting like a surge protector for our phone system. I don't know if I will find all the parts but I'm trying.
Jeff,
648 is some part numbers from Suttle so that number is probably vendor specific and not USOC RJxxx so I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.
Ed,
You are right...Suttle is the only manufacturer I have found that still produces an RJ31X "snap-in" type module. Their new STAR line of surface mount boxes will not accept the old snap-in module (it is 110 punch down and rather large). However, Suttle still makes flush mount faceplates that the 31X module will snap into so...it's not what I wanted but I can make it work. I'm still hoping to find a surface mount (biscuit) type housing from a company that makes an RJ31X snap-in module.

I know this is probably wierd...it seems I'm always looking for wierd stuff... :-)

Thanks to all and let me know if you find anything.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 08/26/08 03:00 PM
I tried looking up 648 on Suttle's website and could not find anything with that part number...
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 08/26/08 03:35 PM
Jeff:

They've renamed these products to their "STAR" series, though not identical in fit or finish.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 08/26/08 05:31 PM
So, basically you are going to make a little box- line in, line out and RJ-31x? Then you want the installers to use modular plugs on the wiring and plug everything into the box? I really don't think that will fly with any security company worth their salt. Wouldn't with me.

-Hal
I'm thinking along the same lines as Hal. If they, "They" being the people that can't figure out how to correctly wire a RJ31X jack, I don't think they will be capable of understanding a home made device.

But then again, I always like to wire my own RJ31X jacks myself no matter what! laugh
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 08/27/08 01:02 AM
Same here...if I am on the job when the alarm guy is there, I will run the wire and connect the RJ31X. At least they won't use 22 gauge stranded wire smile
Don't know if they are still available, but, there used to be a T-adapter that had an RJ-31X and an RJ-11 side-by-side, and of course the male plug. They used to be used for "series dialers". Your installer could terminate the line on a jack, plug in the adapter, plug in the alarm and a line cord to the phone system.

I wouldn't want MY alarm connected that wy, though....
Posted By: DT98 Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 08/29/08 07:47 PM
I have a couple of the T-adapters just like you describe Tommy and it would work but it's a fragile setup and I did not want to even attempt it.

Hal, after working with a national retailer for the past ten years and their national alarm provider of choice, I'm still looking for a national alarm company worth their salt...no offence intended to the many independant alarm companies and providers. You would not believe the messes I have to contend with and help correct. And this company refuses to use anything but a national alarm company anymore...grrr...

Since the nat alarm company don't want to install the RJ31X jacks I think I'll offer them this solution.

I remember being at one new location on a vendor meet. The LEC was there, the alarm company was there and the phone/data installers were there. It was funny to watch them standing in a circle pointing to the next person. And no one corrected the problem. I got my tools and did it myself and they all left.

I'm going to have this jack labeled in detail and the only way anyone can mess it up is if they can't read...

Here's a story...got it about a month ago...a large national LEC installed POTS service for me, 3 lines in hunt, 1 stand alone line. The lines were crossed, etc...and it took about four reports to get it corrected. I told the last LEC tech working on it that I was former LEC and what in the world was the problem...I was going to call the PUC on the next problem. He told me that one of their techs just retired after 30 years service and about two months before he retired, they found out he was color blind...they found a section of a 600 pair cable splice that was incorrect and figured out this fellow worked on that section. They were very unhappy cause they had to dig up the splice, open the case and repair again.

A color blind LEC tech w/30 years service...I might still have a chance...

:-D
Posted By: hbiss Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 08/29/08 08:09 PM
Since the nat alarm company don't want to install the RJ31X jacks I think I'll offer them this solution.

I still don't get it. They won't install it, you are the telecom guy, why don't YOU install it? That's what I do...

-Hal
DT98, am I correct in figuring out that you only go out of the office when no one else can fix the problem. And you are trying to make the RJ31X installation 'stupid proof'? Guaranteed, you will not succeed. If the installer needs that much help, he'll break the assembly getting it mounted! frown John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: Jim Baldwin Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 08/30/08 03:10 PM
With LIGNTNINGHORSE there is absolutly nothing that can be made" sailor proof, kid proof, or stupid proof".
Originally posted by DT98:

Here's a story...got it about a month ago...a large national LEC installed POTS service for me, 3 lines in hunt, 1 stand alone line. The lines were crossed, etc...and it took about four reports to get it corrected. I told the last LEC tech working on it that I was former LEC and what in the world was the problem...I was going to call the PUC on the next problem. He told me that one of their techs just retired after 30 years service and about two months before he retired, they found out he was color blind...they found a section of a 600 pair cable splice that was incorrect and figured out this fellow worked on that section. They were very unhappy cause they had to dig up the splice, open the case and repair again.

A color blind LEC tech w/30 years service...I might still have a chance...
Even though we are getting a bit off topic I must inject a little tidbit of information into the mix here.
From first hand experience after working with a guy that was " color blind", Many people that are classified as being "Color blind" are fully capable of not only recognizing the different colors that most of us see, they see the same colors that we do most of the time. Apparently, this guy could see the same colors as most people with the exception red and brown. The way he described it to me was that he knew what brown was to him and most people, but red was also brown to him.

But he could recognize the difference well enough to pass a color test.
Posted By: meisgq Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 09/02/08 03:42 PM
Phone Line IN [6p4c]
Phone Line OUT [rj31x]
ALARM System [8p8c]

1) Mark everything with a fat RED permanent marker.
2) Mount all three individual surface boxes to one small piece of plywood/backboard and wire them correctly.
3) Include "rj31x-for-dummies" instructions
4) Mail to install site
Posted By: hbiss Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 09/02/08 04:09 PM
Phone Line IN [6p4c]
Phone Line OUT [6p4c]
ALARM System [rj31x]

Why would you do it your way?

-Hal
Hal has a very valid point! Wired correctly, the line 'comes back' from the ancillary device, (An alarm in this case?) on pins 4 and 8. A 6P4C won't pick pick up the line! Using a 8P8C plug will TOTALLY confuse the installer, even if he does wire into the jack correctly. (And that's doubtful,at best!) And mark the jacks 'dial tone from telco' and 'dial tone to phone system' on the appropriate jacks. Remember, you are TRYING to make this 'stupid proof'. And good luck on that goal! smile John C.
Posted By: meisgq Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 09/09/08 10:48 AM
They don't have to wire anything internally. The 'Phone Line In' is the input. 'Alarm System' is where the alarm guy gets dialtone. Return dial-tone will go through the rj31x and wired internally, via cross connect, to the 'Phone Line Out' Box. As mentioned by other posters, instead of looking for rj-31x inserts, just put surface boxes together on a piece of wood.
Shawn, I was keying off your last post.
--------------------------------------------------
Phone Line IN [6p4c]
Phone Line OUT [rj31x]
ALARM System [8p8c]

--------------------------------------------------
You were indicating RJ31X as 'phone line out' and nowhere for the alarm company to connect, except inside the RJ31X. I was expanding on Hal's post, trying to indicate what would happen if you went with your post. And in reading this post, it's not much clearer than mud. Hope you can decipher what I babbled on about. smile John C.
Posted By: Jim Baldwin Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 09/09/08 04:15 PM
Mind now I've only done a few of the RJ31X blocks so I always refer to Suttles drawing RJ31X.ie
network (co line in) 4&5 (telco wiring /ksu etc out)1&8 (registered terminal equipment /alarm dialers etc) 8 pin plug removes shorting bars and allows the co into the terminal equipment (alarm box) and back out to (telco wiring/ksu) of course this is from an older Suttle connections and cabling systemsmanual page 102.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Need help with RJ31X parts sourcing - 09/09/08 05:29 PM
I'm confused too...I always plug the alarm panel into an RJ31X jack. In the above situation where you said you were going to use a normal 8P8C jack, what happens to the shorting bars?
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help