atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: sph RJ11E? - 12/01/08 04:16 PM
???

CCTV noob

Recently got a Samsung "home security" bundle that includes a monitor, a "video processor", 4 cameras, and 60 ft cables refered to as "rj11e" with 6P6C rj11-size plugs. The cables carry video, audio, and power to the cameras (12V DC). The monitor connects to the concentrator with a UTP-like cable with rj45-size modular plugs. Wish I knew more.

What exactly is rj11e? Is it a standard scheme in home security? Is the cable UTP? The documentation says it's "shielded". Do they mean as in STP? What are the distance limitations? Could I extend it/adapt it to the UTP wiring and jacks already installed in the house?

Sorry about all the questions, this has picked my interest. Any info, or relevant links would be much appreciated.
Posted By: hbiss Re: RJ11E? - 12/01/08 06:08 PM
How about just looking at the plugs to see how they are wired and the cable? "rj11e" really isn't going to tell you anything, I don't believe there was any such thing.

If you plan on extending them might as well chop one up now to see what it is.

-Hal
Posted By: KLD Re: RJ11E? - 12/01/08 06:49 PM
Hal, if you "Google" rj11e you will find this .
Posted By: hbiss Re: RJ11E? - 12/01/08 06:58 PM
:shrug:

Looks like a regular coupler to me.

-Hal
Posted By: KLD Re: RJ11E? - 12/01/08 07:37 PM
Other items talk about a "cable to Samsung connector" ????

Quite a bit when you google....
Posted By: hbiss Re: RJ11E? - 12/01/08 09:50 PM
Well, like I said you have the cable to examine. You should at least be able to ring it out to see how the plugs are wired if you can't tell by looking.

-Hal
Posted By: metelcom Re: RJ11E? - 12/02/08 05:01 AM
Thats a 6P6C plug that is used by the telecom industry as a RJ11/RJ14 connector. Some Samsung CG has reused the terminology for their video cable but it is no more of an RJ11 then a 8P8C is a RJ45. You will find that is STP cable and almost impossible to make your own.
Posted By: sph Re: RJ11E? - 12/02/08 07:49 AM
I did try to google RJ11E and came up with very little useful material, most of it was dealers selling rj11e items. Couldn't find any useful documentation. The slim manual for the system gives the following pinout for the rj11e camera jack:

pin#
1 speaker (hot)
2 video out
3 ground
4 speaker (cold)
5 audio out/alarm out
6 12V DC

The pinout makes some sense if they follow the rj25 wiring guidelines. Notice that the outgoing signals are on the same pair (pair #2) and the "hot" leads are also on the same pair (pair #3). It would also make sense to have the gnd and cold speaker leads on the same pair (#1). It would be nice if somebody would just come out and explain. I've emailed Samsung tech support, let's see.
Posted By: bfdatacom Re: RJ11E? - 12/02/08 02:49 PM
I had a security system like that once - it probably is one pair for video, one pair for audio, and one pair for power.
Posted By: hbiss Re: RJ11E? - 12/02/08 07:30 PM
Forget the reference to anything RJ. There are no pairs, betcha it isn't even a twisted pair cable. Don't know why you are bothering with Samsung tech support. All they are going to tell you is to use that coupler and another of their cables.

-Hal
Posted By: sph Re: RJ11E? - 12/03/08 07:46 AM
I emailed Samsung because it's free. Also, ANYTHING they say I will find a use for, including their not replying (=don't bother with another Samsung security product).

As for the cable, if it is "shielded", as they say, then it sells at a pretty fair price: 60ft cable
This outfit even sells connectorised 1000ft cable: web page

The bundle itself was inexpensive, and very easy to set up and use. This was the first time I did anything involving cctv and the ease of use and quality impressed me. Otherwise I wouldn't be asking. I will take a cable apart and examine it when I have the time.
Posted By: RobCalltrol Re: RJ11E? - 12/04/08 08:53 AM
I have something similar in use at my theater. It came from Home depot for around 100 bucks, which was pretty cheap 4 years ago. The cable came in two sections, one hard wired into the camera, with a female coupler. The other was an RJ11 on one end, and the other had an Video RCA and a audio RCA, plus a female DC power connector. The cable has needed splicing a couple times, and luckilly it was just red, green, yellow and black. The coupler popped apart recently, so I took the opportunity to splice in a length of regular silver satin so I could move the camera farther from the stage.

My next project with it will be to move the camera again, cut a bunch of the cable out, re-splice, and feed it into an RF modulator so I can send the signal to the two ends of the stage on coax.
Posted By: hbiss Re: RJ11E? - 12/04/08 10:20 AM
You really ought to look at network IP cameras. Plug it into your switch or hub with regular CAT5, assign it an IP (or let DHCP do it) and look at it on any PC. It's that simple.

Multi-camera software can get kind of expensive depending on the number of cameras but consider it does the split screen thing and records everything on the hard drive so you don't spend any money on a recorder.

-Hal
Posted By: sph Re: RJ11E? - 12/04/08 12:21 PM
The thing is that this bundle with 17" flat monitor, 4 color cameras, the processor/hub (which hooks up to vcr and to alarms), and all the cables came in at less than $$. Obviously this is a beginner-type diy system which suits me fine. A search for IP cameras with their own network connection or the wireless ones, revealed that they cost almost $$$ each.

Rob, I noticed you said your system uses a 4-wire cable. The Samsung I have uses a 6-wire one. When I was trolling for info I noticed that Bosch used to sell "RJ11E" observation systems that used what they called "dual twisted pair, 4-pole RJ11e cable". Who makes that stuff up? Also, their 2 pairs are wired side-by-side and use 1 conductor each for audio, video, power, and control. Amazing technical feats.
Anyway, I'm encouraged by your experience, how was the image quality after all the splices?

Edited to remove prices
Posted By: djc126 Re: RJ11E? - 01/29/09 06:49 PM
Hi SPH et al.
Did you find out anything else? ie. is it shielded?

The RJ11E 6-conductor cable that comes with the Samsung system is wired the same on each end (if you look at the ends side by side).

I looked at some RJ25 3-line phone cable but it's wired to the opposite ends, sort of like Cat5 cable.

Couldn't I just cut off the end of the RJ25 cable and add another phone connector (wiring it like the other RJ-11E cable)?

Or is there something special about the RJ-11E cable itself?

Looks like they put some glue on the connector's end and a tougher outer jacket like Cat5 cable, other than wiring it differently.

Also, the RJ25 coupler I don't believe will work as it's just a straight passthrough.

Looks like the RJ11E coupler has to crossover the signal.

Thanks.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help