atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Kumba Move a panel or buy new? - 11/12/09 12:22 PM
So I'm moving office buildings and the new space I'm moving into has no alarm panel. It did at one point but the company that moved out ripped it off the wall.

So, my alarm company has some deal going with an DSC wireless alarm system with a 39-mo agreement. My current office has a GE NetWorx N6-V2 with an 8-zone keypad. I will only need 5 zones in my new office (4 external doors, one motion detector) so the panel would work.

What are your thoughts? I'm really not that into the idea of wireless detectors. I can just see a battery getting low or someone firing up a cell phone and all heck breaking loose.
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: Move a panel or buy new? - 11/12/09 12:32 PM
I wouldn't shy away from the wireless equipment if that's the best way to go. But as always hardwired is the best way to go if you can.

What about the cables that were left when the previous tenant removed their panel? Do they appear to be intact and in good shape?
Maybe your security company can install a panel using those cables.
Posted By: Kumba Re: Move a panel or buy new? - 11/12/09 02:31 PM
I didn't look at them well enough when I was there. We're going to get access to the space in December to get these things done so I will check it out fully then.

Just not sure I trust wireless. Probably just either buy new or move old. Are the wireless panels really worth messing with? Keep in mind that I need this security system to work for insurance reasons. I'd be incredibly upset if my insurance company weaseled out on my because it wasn't hard-wired.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Move a panel or buy new? - 11/12/09 02:56 PM
James wireless is fine, honeywell even offers UL listed wireless devices. I always hardwire when ever I can, but would not think twice about useing a wireless device, the devices warn you when the batteries are going low (msg at the keypad). I am not as familier with DSC but have heard good things about them.
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: Move a panel or buy new? - 11/12/09 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Kumba:
Keep in mind that I need this security system to work for insurance reasons.
In that case get the insurance company to provide you with their requirements in writing and provide them to your security systems company.

In most cases it's not too difficult to meet the requirements as long as the system is installed by a certified security systems company and monitored by a certified monitoring center.
Posted By: Kumba Re: Move a panel or buy new? - 11/14/09 12:29 PM
Their only requirement is that we give them a certificate of security monitoring from our alarm company. Basically that we have monitoring and that the alarm company is licensed/bonded/insured/etc.
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: Move a panel or buy new? - 11/14/09 01:53 PM
:thumb:
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help