atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: renet123 Door Phone Volume - 02/04/10 04:40 PM
i have some VALCOM V-1072B door phones - and basically - its tip/ring for the speaker (2 wires) and 2 more wires for the MIC.
Customer complaining that the speaker is not loud enough. The speaker is a 45ohm speaker - and i just don't think enough power is going to the speaker from the phone system - not sure if its distance - or the phone system is not pushing enough power.

Any thoughts on how to amplify the sound/power to the speaker??
Posted By: Jim Bennett Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/04/10 05:21 PM
Details.. We need details. These units are meant to be used with a Valcom paging system (or similiar). What exactly are the units connected to?

Also, expect an Admin to move this to the security, alrms & paging section.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/04/10 06:35 PM
I have some VALCOM V-1072B door phones - and basically - its tip/ring for the speaker (2 wires) and 2 more wires for the MIC.

In a word, no. That's not what it is.

And as has been pointed out the V-1072B is supposed to be used with a separate controller. What phone system are you using this with?

-Hal
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/04/10 06:57 PM
Be careful!! You'll be blowing things up if you don't know what you're doing. Two of those leads are bringing POWER to the doorphone unit. Check out https://www.valcom.com/pdf/V-1072A.pdf

What model of Paging Controller do you have??

Valcom has a very good tech support staff, but you've got to know a bit about things first to ask questions from them. First--find your Page Controller and see if you can find a volume control on it.

You're giving me the willies

[Linked Image from img185.imageshack.us]
Posted By: renet123 Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/04/10 07:28 PM
Well - as a disclaimer - i am going to have to say that I did not install this. Im not sure if what they did was genius or stupid. I do know these customers are very sensitive to how things "look" to the general public. What these guys did was they have a Toshiba Strata CTX phone system hooked up to those brown (ugly) toshiba door phones - then they mounted all those to a piece of plywood on the wall - they ripped out (from what i can tell) the cables that control the speakers/mic & some power on those and ran cat5 to the valcom units - looks like the power controls the call button (green pair) - the speaker controlled by middle prongs (blue pair) and then they mounted a mic where the led should be (orange pair.
I also - just for the record have years of experience installing/programming phones - and i have fair knowledge of electricity and circuitry.
I was considering the following device - because i dont think the speaker on the valcom is getting all 40ohms - (i forgot my multimeter -will test to see input tomorrow) https://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_GA2.htm
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/04/10 08:01 PM
any available co ports? why not just replace the whole mess with some viking door boxs.
Posted By: jwooten Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/05/10 05:12 AM
Sounds like your valcoms have been jury rigged. If you have no controller then you do have problems!
Posted By: Jim Bennett Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/05/10 06:02 AM
After reading your description of what is there now, I would say an immediate improvement could be made by purchasing a portable battery-operated megaphone (like the police use) and hanging it by the door on a small hook. If there is a risk of theft, attach it with a length of chain.

Im not sure if what they did was genius or stupid.
I would guess the second one. Seriously, I wouldn't touch this with two ten-foot poles. I'm suprised they didn't blow something out. If JWRacedog had the willies after your first post, your next post is going to give him the full blast Super Double-Willies.

Rip that crap out and do it right.

-Jim
This message has reached you via an amazing new technology called "The Telegraph." We are also very excited about something called "The Wheel."
Posted By: Jim Bennett Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/05/10 06:05 AM
because i dont think the speaker on the valcom is getting all 40ohms
I wasn't going to ask, but HUH?

Jim
[no tag line here due to budgetary cutbacks]
Posted By: hbiss Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/05/10 06:40 AM
+2 for all the above. I can't even imagine how they have that connected to the system and trying to deal with it is a waste of time. Why are you even entertaining these jerks? Remove those jury rigged Valcoms, replace them and use the controller. Customer has the same look and it works. You are supposed to be a professional, give them the proper answer or walk away.

-Hal
Posted By: renet123 Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/05/10 06:40 AM
in response the the "HUH?" - the speaker on the VALCOM is a 45ohm speaker - and when the operator talks - you can just barely hear her - and i have already replaced with a new valcom (thinking the speaker was bad) - so i am going to see how many ohms the speaker is receiving - then work on just trying to boost the signal.

I know what you guys mean - this is a bit of a mess, and is jury rigged - but its a tough sell to come for a service call that says "speaker not loud enough" and then try to replace 10 doors' door phones.. i think that i can get away with replacing the 1 main door - but can anyone recommend something i can connect to the Toshiba Strata CTX door phone module directly?.

And my apologies for giving RaceDog the willies - will try to not give him anything else! wink
Posted By: hbiss Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/05/10 06:49 AM
10 doors? I don't think that Toshiba supported 10 door phones so how did they use the ugly Toshiba door boxes?.

To answer your question, does the customer have to know what door the call is coming from?

...i have fair knowledge of electricity and circuitry... I have already replaced with a new valcom (thinking the speaker was bad) - so i am going to see how many ohms the speaker is receiving...

I have fair knowledge of electricity? I think fair is an overstatement.

-Hal
Posted By: renet123 Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/05/10 06:55 AM
i think i overstated the amount of doors - 6 or 7 doors.
Hal - as i stated - didnt have a multimeter on me. i assumed the speaker worked at some point in time - i had another valcom in the truck - so i see a speaker that i think is not working properly - so i grab the other one and plug it up.
I do have a fair knowledge of electricity - but i do understand that i need help - so that is why i posted. i didnt post a question to get insulted.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/05/10 07:10 AM
I didn't post a question to get insulted.

That's because the situation is beyond rediculous and you are not helping by insisting on playing with what's there.

Take a look at the Viking C-2000B that will support four of any of their doorphones (yes, they are comparable in appearance to Valcom) on one trunk port. Add another on another trunk port for another four.

I believe Viking is a bit less expensive than Valcom also.

-Hal
Posted By: rockmodule Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/05/10 07:20 AM
Just guessing but with the information posted, it almost sounds like they are trying to drive the speakers with the phone systems' page port, which typically is a line level, 600 ohm output. That will not won't 45 ohm speakers directly. Inserting a V-1094A between the phone system and the speakers should allow you to drive 4-5 speaker locations.
Posted By: jwooten Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/05/10 09:06 AM
I think renet123 has stumbled upon nothing but trouble and he's in my neck of the woods! It's unfortunate but I see stuff like this all the time!!
Posted By: renet123 Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/05/10 09:12 AM
the little device rockmodule advised on looks promising. Best of all it is less then XXXX - so worth the try.
My immediate conclusion is i am going to have to do some trial and error - and i have a plan:
1: try some amplifying devices [return them if not work out]
2: if i can get #1 to work, but speaker not good enough - find the megaphone and chain.
3: rip out that valcom system and start over for that 1 door.
4: if none the above works. advise them to call someone or punt it to a different company.

I will post with end solution if anyone is interested..
thank you to all the members who posted. [i will be back]

***Edited to remove pricing***
Posted By: brokeda Re: Door Phone Volume - 02/15/10 10:04 PM
I always wondered if there really was a Three Stooges Telecom. Whomever put this in was way beyond and idiot. It would have taken 3 idiots to figure this BS out. Now your into Custom Engineering, in which you lose in a MAC situation unless you have done it before or your lucky.
This is when you tell them to call the Genius who set it up or install the proper hardware. Unless you have the time to waste and see it as a challenge. Still the customer would be better served with proper gear.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help