atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: MarkTPN Pagepac 20 and a Linksys PAP2T - 08/02/11 02:03 PM
Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to both the overhead paging aspect of telecom and this message board. so please bear with me if I get some term wrong, I've been reading through old topics all day, and everyone here seems really knowledgeable. This message board is awesome.

I'm trying to help someone set up a Pagepac 20 to work with a voip telephone system. I'm not sure exactly which Pagepac they have, or which components they use. At the very least they have a PagePac 20 PowerMate, and possibly the Common Control unit. I only have grainy pictures to go with here.

I've gone over the documents at the Avaya support forums, but I still have a few questions. If I use a Linksys PAP2T ATA unit can I just connect it directly to the PagePac page input modular cord, matching the Tip, Ring, and contact closures?

I have not been able to physically examine their existing setup yet, so I can't confirm how the system used to work before we installed the voice system there. I am very familiar with the Linksys ATAs and other brands of amplifier and paging units, but this old PagePac has me stumped.

Thanks!
Posted By: JBean3329 Re: Pagepac 20 and a Linksys PAP2T - 08/02/11 03:58 PM
Connecting the ATA to ANY type of amp/adapter input is only going to put 50 to 90 volts AC on the input and is likely to ruin it. When you call the ATA from the system, ring voltage is going to flow down the line way before any audio gets there. You'll need some device to answer the call, like a Viking RAD (Remote Answering device) to handle the ring voltage, answer the call, then allow the audio to pass. You may also need to provide current for the loop- talk battery- to get the audio to flow.
Posted By: Valcom Re: Pagepac 20 and a Linksys PAP2T - 08/03/11 05:51 AM
The PagePac20 is only accessible via line level audio & a contact closure. JBean is correct. You need a device that will answer the call from the ATA and provide both of these outputs. Our station level paging adapter is a V-9970.

On the PowerMate there is an RJ11 jack on the far left-hand side:
Red/Green (middle) = Audio
Black/Yellow (outer) = Contact Closure

https://www.valcom.com/techsupport/pagecontrol_ts/v-9970.htm
Posted By: MarkTPN Re: Pagepac 20 and a Linksys PAP2T - 08/22/11 08:26 AM
Awesome, that's what I thought. Would I be able to use a Bogen TAMB2 to "Answer the call?" Thanks for the info. It's not clear if they have a powermate or not.
Posted By: Valcom Re: Pagepac 20 and a Linksys PAP2T - 08/22/11 01:54 PM
Yes, the Bogen TAMB2 should work fine. The Valcom V-9970 would perform the same function.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help