atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: 6string Valcom or Bogen - 08/02/11 05:38 PM
I'll be quoting a paging system for a customer that has a warehouse/manufacturing facility (roughly 12 paging horns). I have worked on many Valcom and a few Bogen system, but I'm trying to think which product would best fit the needs and was wondering which way to lean for paging equipment.

What application best fits a Valcom system?
What application best fits a Bogen system?

I can't answer that accurately. Any suggestions? :shrug:
Posted By: 6string Re: Valcom or Bogen - 08/02/11 05:49 PM
I found my answer on a previous post.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Valcom or Bogen - 08/02/11 06:10 PM
See! That's how good this forum is!
Posted By: Derek B. Re: Valcom or Bogen - 04/01/12 10:52 AM
General rule of thumb for where I work:
Valcom for power supplies, Bogen for paging modules.
Posted By: rustynails Re: Valcom or Bogen - 04/02/12 08:24 PM
If cost is no factor always go with 70v/Bogen(?) system. Much easier to install, add to, troubleshoot, and change. If cost is a factor, 10 horns or less stay with 24v/Valcom(?) system. I have found that 10 horns is typically the break even point.
Posted By: rustynails Re: Valcom or Bogen - 04/02/12 08:31 PM
If cost is no factor always go with 70v/Bogen(?) system. Much easier to install, add to, troubleshoot, and change. If cost is a factor, 10 horns or less stay with 24v/Valcom(?) system. I have found that 10 horns is typically the break even point.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Valcom or Bogen - 04/02/12 09:56 PM
Originally posted by rustynails:
I agree except that there may not even be a cost difference between a 70v system and Valcom that uses powered speakers. With Valcom you have to contend with power supplies and power wiring to each speaker in addition to the audio. And since each speaker contains it's own amplifier they each are a maintenance issue that you don't have with a 70 volt system.

I've done 70 volt systems with just two speakers. I don't believe the cost was any more than Valcom and it was a hell of a lot easier. Not that I have anything against Valcom, I just don't see the point.

-Hal
Posted By: Owain Re: Valcom or Bogen - 04/03/12 01:58 PM
With 70V systems you have a much wider choice of equipment and aren't tied to one manufacturer.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Valcom or Bogen - 04/03/12 03:33 PM
A good regulated voltage system will have much better quality sound is easier to install and maintain.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Valcom or Bogen - 04/04/12 07:35 AM
I did a job for Time-Life that was 600 amplified speakers! What a waste of money! And consistent maintenance issues with failing speakers.

Why use amplified speakers and not a constant-voltage (70 volt) system?

The consultant recommended it. Why? It was all he knew about PA.

I don't mind powered speakers when you're putting in 2 or 3 but even then, like Hal, I still prefer 70 volt. Just remember that unless the amplifier says "class 2 wiring acceptable" (usually the case with 50watts or less) you may have to run conduit or armored cable for a 70volt line.

Sam
Posted By: sentrex1 Re: Valcom or Bogen - 04/10/12 07:50 PM
i agree with rustynails i used to do teck support in french for Valcom in Canada,thats all we used at the telco so i know there product quite well,but over the years being self employed i started working with Bogen and i must say bogens quality of sound is much better and easier to trouble shoot
Posted By: hbiss Re: Valcom or Bogen - 04/10/12 08:44 PM
I know the original question was Valcom vs Bogen. Keep in mind that there are dozens of manufacturers that make PA and sound equipment besides Bogen and you can mix and match. So really your question is Valcom vs a constant voltage system.

... unless the amplifier says "class 2 wiring acceptable" (usually the case with 50watts or less) you may have to run conduit or armored cable for a 70volt line.

Nahh, even the high powered stuff allows CL2 wiring now. It's really not a problem.

-Hal
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Valcom or Bogen - 04/10/12 09:04 PM
I used to have a vendor that sold used PA systems at "a buck a watt". Harder to find, but if you can, it's easy to use a small amp, even for small jobs. About 10 years ago, I inherited a Valcom job. They added on to the building and now I had a problem. We added a remote power supply and 4 more V-1030's, but last year, when one of the old trumpets died, it took down the whole system.

In constant voltage, when the grid dies, you can just listen for the probable failure and, of course, my trusty impedance meter works better.

Carl
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help