atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Gary S. New page amp - 09/01/11 04:40 PM
Customer has added a 4 story building to existing 3 story bld. Would it be ok to pick up the audio in the old building,at the old amp, run it to the new 50 w amp, which would feed only the new ceiling speakers. I may need to add another amp on another floor if they add more speakers, just paralle the audio to another amp ???

Thanks Gary S.
Posted By: metelcom Re: New page amp - 09/01/11 05:03 PM
There are transformers that will connect to a 25 volt line and give you a low level audio for an amp input.
Posted By: tim10 Re: New page amp - 09/01/11 05:34 PM
This https://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=162 (RDL model TX70A) is one such transformer. We use it all the time with much success. It works on 25, 70 and 100V systems.
Posted By: Valcom Re: New page amp - 09/02/11 12:53 PM
I would try the Valcom V-1095.
https://www.valcom.com/techsupport/enhancement_ts/v1095.htm

This device will eliminate the voltage and provide a line level output.
Posted By: hbiss Re: New page amp - 09/02/11 04:54 PM
Customer has added a 4 story building to existing 3 story bld....

I assume these buildings are attached to each other?

Would it be ok to pick up the audio in the old building,at the old amp, run it to the new 50 w amp, which would feed only the new ceiling speakers. I may need to add another amp on another floor if they add more speakers...

Unless there is some compelling reason to use multiple amplifiers such as zone paging, that would be one hell of a Rube Goldberg setup. How many speakers and what kind are we talking about here? I certainly hope that this is a 70.7 volt system and dispite what others may say I never recommend supplying the input of an amplifier with the speaker output of another. It's really not good practice.

From what you are saying all you should have to do is replace the existing amp with one of suitable power to supply all speakers as well as those anticipated in the future. Power is cheap.

-Hal
Posted By: Gary S. Re: New page amp - 09/06/11 05:34 PM
Yes the buildings are attached 70 v, one zone, 16 to 20 spks.
Gary S.
Posted By: hbiss Re: New page amp - 09/08/11 06:37 AM
Then it's a no-brainer. Bigger amp as necessary then just extend the wiring.

One thing you might want to check is what the speakers are tapped at. I've seen hacks use much higher power taps on the speakers than necessary then they turn the amp volume down because they are too loud. So the amp isn't supplying it's rated power. Make that amp work. Re-adjust the taps on the speakers then add it all up. That may give you enough so that you won't have to replace the amp.

-Hal
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help