atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: meisgq DVR Extension - 06/15/11 04:25 PM
Hello all!
I have a DVR that was recently installed in one part of the building. Two weeks later, they move their offices to another part of the building, 300' away. They want to move the security monitor (HD15/VGA), including mouse/keyboard control, to the new part of the building. There are 16 cameras (RG59 siamese). I'm torn between extending the rg59 and moving the box OR using some sort of cat-5e balun or IP-KVM. I read that max distance is somewhere around 750 feet for RG59. If I extend the coax, I'll be around that range for some cameras. If it helps, there is a fiber link with managed switches connecting the two parts of the building. Any suggestions?
Posted By: tito1411 Re: DVR Extension - 06/16/11 07:59 PM
Id probably go with a cat5 extender. I like VPI products. Their a little more expensive but Ive never had trouble with them.

https://www.vpi.us/cat5.html
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: DVR Extension - 06/17/11 05:17 AM
I second the cat 5/vga extenders. We use them in the video control room at UT for the video server and they work great.
Posted By: Z-man Re: DVR Extension - 06/17/11 04:14 PM
What about just doing remote desktop? Your DVR should be capable of that?
Posted By: meisgq Re: DVR Extension - 06/19/11 03:54 AM
They want to have the monitor up at all times, regardless if their computer is on or off. Each of these guys (3) has a big monitor mounted on the wall in front of their desk for surveillance only. I've used the baluns (cat5/vga) before but not beyond 100ft. I'll be transmitting over 300 feet so that is my issue.
Posted By: bfdatacom Re: DVR Extension - 06/19/11 10:43 AM
these go 590 feet and the price is right......I usually use the passive ones in small offices....

https://www.monoprice.com/products/...504&p_id=4080&seq=1&format=2
Posted By: Matt Stevens Re: DVR Extension - 08/11/11 11:50 PM
If it is a good DVR it may have a Spot Monitor output. It is a BNC connection so you can run a single RG59 out to the monitor location. This output is purely for viewing. Then they can actually manage the DVR remotely.
Posted By: brokeda Re: DVR Extension - 08/16/11 10:38 PM
I would just use Baluns and move the whole shebang.
Most DVR I have seen are easier to manage if it's right in front of you, no time lag or network issues. Al least that's what most of the store managers I work with like.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help