atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jonmyk Do I need a cctv tester?... - 07/31/12 08:40 AM
Here's the deal...

I have a customer that had an "friend" install camera systems at 2 hotels for him. The DVR was junk so my customer went to... COSTCO and bought 2 for the properties. The installer used transformers at each location instead of a power supply and used the cheap twist on BNC connectors. I now have a camera not working properly but it's not showing video loss on the DVR monitor.

I've replaced the ends, tested continuity, replaced the cable, moved the camera to another location and it works fine, used the transformer at another location and it works, moved another camera's connection to this camera's DVR port and that works. Moved this camera's connection to a working camera's DVR port and nothing except a black screen but no video loss message unless I remover the connection from either the camera or DVR. :bang:

Any suggestions? Do you think a tester would find the fault and if so any recommendations? Only have less than 20 CCTV customers currently so I'm not looking for a high dollar tester at this point.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Do I need a cctv tester?... - 07/31/12 12:49 PM
I installed and serviced CCTV for years without a service monitor. When I finally got one, I don't know how I did any quality work with out one. Here's the one I got. It's color, had a neck strap and does both PAL and NTSC. Has sound as well.

It paid for itself the first time I used it and, yes, you will narrow the problem to either cable or connector by using the monitor in less than 30 seconds.

https://www.specotech.com/product/417/VMS2.html

Rcaman
Posted By: ComdialJim Re: Do I need a cctv tester?... - 07/31/12 07:55 PM
I use the same one. If you do camera work you have to have it. Like trying to do telephone cabling without a punch down tool.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Do I need a cctv tester?... - 08/01/12 08:43 AM
Quick and dirty, Short the connector at 1 end and check for continuity at the other. Should be almost a short. Probably less than 50 ohms. Then remove the short and you should have an open of ... 10 Megohm , or more. My guess is it is shorted, probably from damage from maintanance on something else, having nothing to do with CCTV. OR, Vandalism and a cut cable.
Posted By: jonmyk Re: Do I need a cctv tester?... - 08/02/12 11:57 AM
LH,

I just replaced the cable and installed new ends, shorted the one end and had continuity and duplicated at the other end. I used my tone generator for continuity as well as my voltmeter but didn't take an Ohm reading just used the continuity test on the voltmeter since it was brand new cable.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help