atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: BBTech Redundant 70v paging system question - 12/11/13 08:41 PM
I have a customer who's requirement involves having a new 70v paging system (Valcom) with multiple zone be overidden at will by a Whelen emergency 70v system. The Whelen system has to be able to take over the speakers and shut out the new system in the event of a emergency broadcast. My main problem is figuring out if it is possible set up two 70v systems that can switch back and forth on some type of relay. I Cant find any equipment that exists that will perform this task. Anybody have any suggestions?

BBTech
Posted By: hbiss Re: Redundant 70v paging system question - 12/11/13 11:16 PM
Easy enough to roll your own with suitable relays. That said, the Whelan sounds like a life-safety system and there are strict rules for installation and operation that probably aren't met by the paging speakers.

-Hal
Check out the products from dbx. Their ZonePro systems are designed to do what you want with the right accessory module and that module is Fire Code listed.

Various ZonePro controllers
https://www.dbxpro.com/en-US/product_families/zonepro--2

The fire interface module
https://www.dbxpro.com/en-US/products/zc-fire
Posted By: hbiss Re: Redundant 70v paging system question - 12/12/13 05:44 AM
I second the recommendation for dbx however I think that it's going to require a total re-design of the system. I believe the Whelen system is self contained with it's own 70v output.

Does the Whelen provide PA capability or just warning tones?

-Hal
Originally Posted by BBTech
I have a customer who's requirement involves having a new 70v paging system (Valcom) with multiple zone be overidden at will by a Whelen emergency 70v system. The Whelen system has to be able to take over the speakers and shut out the new system in the event of a emergency broadcast. My main problem is figuring out if it is possible set up two 70v systems that can switch back and forth on some type of relay. I Cant find any equipment that exists that will perform this task. Anybody have any suggestions?

BBTech

One problem your going to have is unless the equipment is listed by your State Fire Marshall, you can't connect it to the fire alarm system.

I don't know the Whelen system, but I do know the Silent Knight systems and they have devices that will do what you want and are listed.

You need to ask this question to someone qualified in the Whelen system.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Redundant 70v paging system question - 12/13/13 04:15 AM
Whelen makes emergency and mass notification systems so I have no doubt that it can be interconnected with a fire system. The question is is it allowable to use the Valcom speakers with a life-safety or mass notification system. I seriously doubt it. And yes, you do need to talk with someone qualified on Whelen systems.

-Hal
Posted By: BBTech Re: Redundant 70v paging system question - 01/16/14 09:15 PM
Thanks for the info guys!!! The Whelen provides PA also. Its like they want to merge they systems in case of emergency. Odd situation. I'm looking at the dbx equipment now.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help