atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jsaad warehouse paging question - 02/13/16 02:24 AM
We have the opportunity to do a telephone paging system in a large warehouse (100,000 sq ft). Typically our projects are small.

We're running 18/2 shielded cable, our longest run is 600 ft from the amplifier. We're using Bogen SPT15 horns and a Bogen TPU250.

Should we ground the shield at the amplifier in the telephone room?

How do you recommend to terminate the cables at the amplifier?
I have 8 total runs, I can punch them to a 66 block but I'm curious if there is a better way.

Posted By: Mercenary Roadie Re: warehouse paging question - 02/13/16 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by jsaad
We have the opportunity to do a telephone paging system in a large warehouse (100,000 sq ft). Typically our projects are small.

We're running 18/2 shielded cable, our longest run is 600 ft from the amplifier. We're using Bogen SPT15 horns and a Bogen TPU250.

I have 8 total runs, I can punch them to a 66 block but I'm curious if there is a better way.

Is this going to be a 70V system? Bogen has a great System Design Guide that will answer the majority of your questions.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: warehouse paging question - 02/13/16 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by jsaad

How do you propose to punch 18-2 stranded wire on a 66 block? send pics :-)

Wire nuts are your friend, or if you need fancy https://electronics.mcmelectronics....ist&w=barrier+strips&x=0&y=0

Carl
Posted By: Silversam Re: warehouse paging question - 02/13/16 02:05 PM
You should terminate stranded wire on a barrier strip or similar device. NEVER punch down stranded wire.

Unless an engineer has determined that you need it, you should NEVER run shielded wire for speakers.

Sam
Posted By: tim10 Re: warehouse paging question - 02/13/16 02:13 PM
I'll second Sam and Carl, you should not have pulled shielded cable for the speakers. In this case, the only harm it will do is hurt your bottom line since you paid more money for cable you didn't need. A regular unshielded 18/2 cable would be just fine.

Do not ground the shield on EITHER end. And make sure the drain wire and foil is cut back and insulated on both ends.

And you will have a hell of a time punching 18/2 down to a 66-block. Use a screw terminal barrier strip or wire nuts instead.
Posted By: Silversam Re: warehouse paging question - 02/13/16 10:03 PM
The thing with shielded wire is that the shield can act as an antenna and actually ATTRACT unwanted signals, rather than keep them out.

The rule of thumb (as I learned it) is: Unless specified by the manufacturer, ground the shield end at the equipment side and safe it off at the device side.

Sam
Posted By: jsaad Re: warehouse paging question - 02/13/16 11:41 PM
great advice, thanks!
Posted By: hbiss Re: warehouse paging question - 02/15/16 01:41 AM
I'll third the advice to not use shielded cable. If you haven't run it yet DON'T. It can only cause trouble and in addition to what Sam said can actually cause amplifier stability problems with 70.7 volt systems.

And yes, wire nuts.

-Hal
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help