atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Yoda Valcom Page Extender - 11/28/16 05:47 PM
Has anyone used the Valcom VIP-801A Networked Page Zone Extender? I'm looking at using a pair of them to connect the page horns at an off site building, about 1.5 miles away from the main system. I'll use local power, of course, to power the horns. Going to also use a pair of Patton CL1314/EUI LAN Extenders also.

Thank you.
Jim
Posted By: Silversam Re: Valcom Page Extender - 11/28/16 10:09 PM
We did a lot of work years ago with offsite paging. As I recall, we sent the 8 ohm output from the local amp (over leased telco lines) to a mic input on the far end.

I'm thinking we must have used some sort of matching transformer before the mic input, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. This was probably 45-50 years ago, so maybe you'll forgive me.

I also can't remember if the lines were conditioned in any way by NY Tel. There was one particular code we used to order ...... CSV, maybe?

Sam
Posted By: hbiss Re: Valcom Page Extender - 11/29/16 01:07 AM
Right. What wiring exists between the two locations?

-Hal
Posted By: Yoda Re: Valcom Page Extender - 11/29/16 03:12 AM
There is a single dry pair leased from telco between sites. Going to put a pair of Patton LAN Extenders on the pair so that IP phones can hang off the far end.

Will also use the Valcom VIP-801A to convert the page audio to IP, to Patton Lan Ext, then back to audio at the far end and out to the horns.

KSU and Valcom Page Ext ---> Patton Lan Ext. ---> Dry Pr ---> Patton ---> Valcom and PoE switch for IP phones.

Posted By: hbiss Re: Valcom Page Extender - 11/29/16 08:01 AM
I understand that. With a leased pair I would have tried Sam's method first, mile and a half is nothing. Costs virtually nothing because you already have everything you need. Why does everybody think the only way to do something is with friggin' IP nowadays???

-Hal
Posted By: Yoda Re: Valcom Page Extender - 11/29/16 02:07 PM
I agree Hal. In this case we're replacing key systems at each site with digital phones at the main site and IP phones at the remote. The customer chose not to use an internet connection, but the dry pair for the connection. Hence the Patton extenders. In order to use overhead paging at the remote end, I also suggested the Valcom extenders to transport the page signal across the IP connection.

Jim
Posted By: upstateny Re: Valcom Page Extender - 11/29/16 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Yoda
There is a single dry pair leased from telco between sites. Going to put a pair of Patton LAN Extenders on the pair so that IP phones can hang off the far end.

Will also use the Valcom VIP-801A to convert the page audio to IP, to Patton Lan Ext, then back to audio at the far end and out to the horns.

KSU and Valcom Page Ext ---> Patton Lan Ext. ---> Dry Pr ---> Patton ---> Valcom and PoE switch for IP phones.

Great solution. We did a 350+ phone Shoretel installation with IP Phones using the ratty old single pair wiring and had no issues. We used Phybridge gear.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Valcom Page Extender - 11/29/16 05:49 PM
Ahh ok. As long as you are using the link for a network extension also I can see your point.

Did you know that those lan extenders are DSL? I've had problems with the protectors at both locations killing the signal. I was using 5 pin protectors and nothing available would work. I wound up using a bypass. I also don't remember what brand extender I was using.

-Hal
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help