atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Yoda Protection for page horns - 06/08/18 03:09 PM
What is a good lightning/surge protector to use on a 70 volt paging horn?

Years ago my church installed electronic bells, paging horns in the steeple connected to an amp and embedded computer with built-in music. It has a schedule to chime every hour, etc.. Last week it was hit with a surge of some kind. The school next door lost a ITW Linx M8-KSU power protector, but it saved the phone system connected to it.

I've found that the bell system in the church has no protection. I'm going to install a ITW Linx M4-KSU to protect the power side. The add-on modules for the M4 are only good for Cat 5/6 applications, not 70 paging. Any suggestions on what to use for the 70 volt horn leads? Would like to put something near the amp before it goes up to the horns, to protect the amp and computer.

Thanks.
Jim
Posted By: usbuild Re: Protection for page horns - 06/08/18 03:47 PM
PHC SP70

https://cdn-docs.av-iq.com/dataSheet//Juice%20Goose%2070%20Volt%20Speaker%20Protection.pdf
Posted By: hbiss Re: Protection for page horns - 06/08/18 03:50 PM
Are you sure it's 70V? The ones I've done are 8 ohm out to the speakers. Either way-

https://www.diteksurgeprotection.com/products/31-screw-terminal-connections/74-dtk-1lvlpscpruv.html

Keep in mind that it has to be properly bonded to ground!

-Hal

Posted By: Daniel Re: Protection for page horns - 06/08/18 04:36 PM
Hal
I'm curious as to why the 130v over the 75v or 95v?
Posted By: Yoda Re: Protection for page horns - 06/08/18 04:52 PM
Hal - The cable running up to the horns is a 2 conductor, black and white, maybe 12 gauge? It's connected to Com and 70v.

Posted By: jknichols Re: Protection for page horns - 06/08/18 04:56 PM
Actually it is 70 volts RMS which equates to a Peak voltage of 100 (and despite the term "constant voltage", it is only 70VRMS at peak amplifier output)
Posted By: Mercenary Roadie Re: Protection for page horns - 06/09/18 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by jknichols
Actually it is 70 volts RMS which equates to a Peak voltage of 100 (and despite the term "constant voltage", it is only 70VRMS at peak amplifier output)

I thought it was always called 'constant current' not 'constant voltage'
Posted By: Silversam Re: Protection for page horns - 06/09/18 11:42 AM
Constant Voltage is the correct term.

Sam
Posted By: hbiss Re: Protection for page horns - 06/09/18 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Daniel
Hal
I'm curious as to why the 130v over the 75v or 95v?

Even though the amp will probably never be cranked up to max it is possible for peaks to exceed 100V. Besides, when you are talking lightning, another 50 or so volts shouldn't be a problem to the amp. We use 300V protectors on our 48V POTS lines, right?

Hal - The cable running up to the horns is a 2 conductor, black and white, maybe 12 gauge? It's connected to Com and 70v.

Yeah, I suppose. When I did it I was feeding two horns in the bell tower, the amp and player were in a closet below on the second floor of the church. The run was maybe 75 feet which I did in conduit straight up the top of the tower. So I couldn't see a reason for 70V, the distance wasn't that great and only two speakers. Matter of fact I had to turn it down because the church got complaints from people miles away.

Also had HV DC to a solenoid actuated hammer to strike the old bell. That was pulled in another run of conduit from the controller I located below the bell tower.

System was supplied by Chime Master with a QSC amp. There is no surge protection, never had a problem with lightning.

-Hal
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help