atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Yoda Mass Notification - 05/19/19 11:47 PM
I'm looking into a notification device for a small school. In case of an intruder, attack, etc., they want something in each classroom that a teacher can press and run, that will make an announcement to the rest of the school.

They have a Nortel MICS phone system, with a phone in each classroom.
There is a single Valcom page horn in the gym, accessed via the Nortel's page port.

I've looked at the Viking DNA-510. Looks like it would work only for the page horn. Anything available to also allow a prerecorded message to the Nortel phones?

Thanks.
Jim
Posted By: hbiss Re: Mass Notification - 05/20/19 12:27 AM
Unfortunately this is something you won't be able to do unless you are a licensed security/fire system company. Mass Notification systems must meet NFPA 72 requirements. So regardless of what your customer may tell you they want, it has to be designed by an engineer to meet certain requirements depending on the occupancy.

If you try to do this without qualifications, not only will your insurance not cover you but if an incident occurs you could lose everything and possibly face jail time. The absolute last thing I would want to have is a parent blaming me for the death of their child. And believe me, their attorneys will hang you!!

My advice is to stay away!

-Hal
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Mass Notification - 05/20/19 03:18 PM
agree
Posted By: metelcom Re: Mass Notification - 05/21/19 11:39 AM
I wouldn't use phone speakers for emergency announcements Visiplex has notification systems
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Mass Notification - 05/21/19 02:22 PM
Iowa law, if that where the install is going to be, requires that during Lock Down procedures to- "Disable all bells". Iowa School Safety Guide

Have you had a chance to read NCEF's Mass Notification for Higher Education?
Posted By: oobie Re: Mass Notification - 05/22/19 02:42 PM
Check out Staff alerter http://www.presencemanagement.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Staff-Alerter-Product-Sheet-ISC.pdf
Posted By: Yoda Re: Mass Notification - 07/09/19 09:14 PM
Got them referred to the company that has the fire panel in the school. Thanks for the input.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help