atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: percussion Power supply ? - 07/13/06 01:59 AM
Hello,

I posted this in another forum on this site and was redirected to this forum for some further insight. Here is my problem:

I am a percussionist in Chicago and I have a Western Electric 2500 MMG that I have to make ring for a sound effect. I have removed the ringer assembly and mounted it onto a board. There is a black wire and a red wire. I’ve tried several voltages (up to 30 volts) with nothing more than a twitch of the clapper.

Ed and Mark K. (in the other forum) have informed me of the voltage and cycle requirements, and now I understand I need a 1A2 Power Supply.

Is there a way I could purchase one from someone on this site? Or is there some other site I could go to? Are they outrageously expensive?

Thank You!

Rich A.
Chicago
Posted By: justbill Re: Power supply ? - 07/13/06 04:17 AM
Or a ring generator if all you want it to do is ring. The Western Electric one was a 118A frequency generator. Try google on ring or frequency generator.
Posted By: percussion Re: Power supply ? - 07/13/06 04:56 AM
Thanks! Is this what I should be looking for?

https://www.usedphones.com/Shop~t~0~args~detail~ptID~52644.html

Yes, all I need is to make it ring.

Thanks again!
Posted By: justbill Re: Power supply ? - 07/13/06 06:33 AM
I believe what you have there is a phone system ring generator, hard to tell by looking at the picture. You want one that plugs into plain 110 outlet, with the 20hz (or so) output to ring the phone. I messed around trying to find a better discription but couldn't, call them to see if it's what you need. I have just one 118a but don't want to part with it.
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Power supply ? - 07/13/06 06:35 AM
You might call up Mike Sandman from Roselle--1-630-980-7710. Tell them what you need and what it's for. They sell a refurbed Ring Generator & 24VDC power supply from 1a2 system that's a pretty good price.
Posted By: twisted pair Re: Power supply ? - 07/13/06 07:55 AM
Here is another option:
https://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/view_product.php?pid=38
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Power supply ? - 07/13/06 09:15 AM
Here's what you need currently listed on e-bay. The item number is 300005526019. It's cheap!
Posted By: skip555 Re: Power supply ? - 07/13/06 09:44 AM
keep in mind it will ring constantly , no interuption like a phone call you will have to manually provide interuption

why not go to the phone book and call local interconnects maybe someone locally can help you out

or let us know where you are located someone here nearby may have one.

(I would let you have one for the ebay shipping cost if you where local )
Posted By: justbill Re: Power supply ? - 07/13/06 04:06 PM
Just put a button on it and push when you want it to ring.
Posted By: justbill Re: Power supply ? - 07/13/06 04:10 PM
Heck ya, what Ed said, buy the whole power supply. Then you have talk battery if you want to do something fancier later.
Posted By: OBTW Re: Power supply ? - 07/16/06 04:26 PM
20 Cycles about 70 to 90 vac . If I remember right . It has been years ! smile
Posted By: percussion Re: Power supply ? - 07/18/06 03:24 PM
Thanks for all the great advice, guys!

I am looking to just buy the whole power supply ( I found out too late for the ebay auction! - it went for TEN BUCKS!! ) I can rig up a momentary power switch to operate via foot pedal (like an extension cord with a doorbell button) but just getting the power supply is a huge hurdle.

to skip555: I am in Chicago and would like to discuss options w/you, if you have something that could help me.

Thanks!
Rich
Chicago
Posted By: skip555 Re: Power supply ? - 07/26/06 11:04 AM
I posted in the other thread to but why not just run one of the phone lines to it and call it when you need it to ring ?
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help